md5252 04-Sep-17
WV Mountaineer 04-Sep-17
dm/wolfskin 04-Sep-17
butcherboy 04-Sep-17
snapcrackpop 05-Sep-17
snapcrackpop 05-Sep-17
snapcrackpop 05-Sep-17
03-Sep-17
This is me looking silly in a rock climbing harness. My third year of using one. I used to use a SOP and got a new one at the same time I got this Black Diamond Alpine harness. The new SOP is still in my hunting room hanging up and has never been used. Anyway, this video is a little long with a few distractions outside and I didn't edit any of it. I have added webbing to my harness for using a lineman's belt. I have an ascender on my climbing rope for the lineman's belt and another rope to hook up once my stand is hung. The ascender makes adjustment with just a pull. I made a few mistakes as I went along but got everything corrected. I use the Bucksteps for easement of this video but 90% of the time I use a woodpecker drill and 10 bolts for going up a tree. Hope this helps some of ya'll that are thinking about switching to a rock climbing harness. I have had no problems shooting deer and pigs while wearing a rock climbing harness. Just wear some kind of a harness while hunting out of a tree.

03-Sep-17
A few questions...

How are you attaching the lineman's belt? The BD Alpine harness (and all rock climbing harnesses) do not have optimal attachment points for a lineman's belt. I'm not going to watch a 25 minute video, but I did skip through and cannot see much/any detail. Adding webbing to the harness can be a serious safety concern, depending how you did it. Nylon rubbing on nylon can cut incredibly quickly - much quicker than one would think or expect.

Why do you need a lineman's belt for using an ascender? BD harnesses (and all rock climbing harnesses) should work with an ascender with no problem. What ascender are you using? Toothed or non-toothed? Brand?

Lastly, what took you 20 minutes would have taken me 2-3 minutes in my Lone Wolf climber. Why complicate things? Simply is safe.

03-Sep-17
The alpine is a good simple harness. I have the vario speed harness as my primary. It's excellent as well. Thanks for taking the time to do the video

03-Sep-17
We Southerners are slow and enjoy life.

03-Sep-17

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo

03-Sep-17

03-Sep-17

03-Sep-17
Maybe I'm slow because I don't get it

Rock climbing harnesses are for rock climbing. Not really designed for what you are doing but to each their own

Keep it simple

03-Sep-17
Keeps you from falling out of a tree, same as a full body harness.

03-Sep-17

Overland's embedded Photo
Overland's embedded Photo
dm, I meant no disrespect in my post. I appreciate innovation, and also appreciate that you are taking the time to share what you have with others.

I am a long-time rock climber who has climbed around the world. I've climbed El Capitan, and have made significant ascents around the world. I personally own at least 10 rock climbing harnesses and use the same harness you do when I'm bowhunting. The pictures you posted of your lineman's belt attachment concern me. This is absolutely not the recommended use for this harness, and may be significantly dangerous. I've personally seen what happens when rope rubs on rope, nylon on nylon. By trying to be safer you may well end up being more dangerous. There are very simple systems to do what you want, without getting "creative."

Your pictures still do not show how you have attached your lineman's attachment webbing. The Wild Country Ropeman is not a terrible choice for an ascender (although calling it an ascender is not technically correct), as long as you're using it correctly (again, I can't tell from the photos or video). What type of rope are you using it on?

03-Sep-17
Yes, I realize that it will keep you from falling out of a tree but.... it is NOT the same as a full body harness.

Like Overland stated, these are very well made and designed life saving systems. I wouldn't mess with it

03-Sep-17
You really shouldn't be tying knots in the webbing it reduces the strength considerably.

Try the rock climber loops(accessory cord or runner) they sell at climbing supply houses, wrap around the main belt and clip with a fall rated carbiner. That way you can still slide them a little bit, doesn't decease the strength any. Can use the same technique to add a lineman's belt (or two) connection point to just about any full body harness.

http://www.ems.com/climb/rock-climbing/slings-and-webbing/

04-Sep-17
There are a couple falsehoods to clean up in the above dialogue

"Rock climbing harnesses are for rock climbing. Not really designed for what you are doing but to each their own".

Simply wrong. There are many ways to arrest a fall but RC harnesses are perfectly safe. More than one way to skin a cat but there are significant advantages to front attachment. Also the bulky nature of full body harnesses discourage a lot of people from using them. The important part is to use something 100% of the time and use it properly.

"You really shouldn't be tying knots in the webbing it reduces the strength considerably".

Haha what? You certainly need to know your knots and dress them properly but you can absolutely tie knots in tubular webbing.

"Adding webbing to the harness can be a serious safety concern, depending how you did it. Nylon rubbing on nylon can cut incredibly quickly - much quicker than one would think or expect"

Not sure I understand this one either. Adding a webbing lineman belt as long as it is threaded through a properly rated attachment point is fine. How is friction a concern its not like you are rapelling with the thing?

04-Sep-17
I believe the only knot approved for webbing is a water knot !!

04-Sep-17
The overhand bight, cousin of the water knot is fine with webbing and the knot you would use to create atrachment points on the diy linemans belt.

04-Sep-17
Overhand bight lol Overhand knot on a bight

04-Sep-17
I hope you people don't modify your car seat belts and parachutes too...

Why not just use the RC harness as is? If you have to do all this extra bs you're doing something wrong imo

04-Sep-17
Mike, I and most others appreciate the effort you went through to share how you do it. Good stuff. Even if the tree you used to do it on is one a climber would have climbed.

I've tried the rock climbing harness when it wasn't cool. About 20 years ago. While it isn't my preferred way, I used it mostly with climbers. However, if I ever go back to using hang on's a lot, I'll sure borrow some ideas off you. God Bless

04-Sep-17
I posted the video for those who where asking questions about the rock climbing harness. I know most don't hunt my way with a Loc-on stand on my back. It goes up with me and comes down with me. I climb 70 or more times during deer season. I see no wear on my webbing which is around 30 inches long and goes around on top of the rock climbing belt and is Velcro to it. The stress is on the webbing and not the harness. My rope that I made up is 10mm static from Backcounty a rock climbing store. My other rope is from Seat-of-pants with their harness. I been climbing trees to hunt deer since the mid 60's. Use to not wear anything but hopefully we all get wiser in our old age. I don't know why there so much resistance to hunters using a rock climbing harness. I use a Wildcountry Ropeman Ascender on my linemans rope. Sure makes easement of tighten up or loosening your rope while going up or down on your lineman's rope. I'm retired now so I might be climbing more. Ya'll be safe.

04-Sep-17
I used a RC harness this year on my elk hunt and really enjoyed using it! First time I have ever used a safety line to ascend and descend as well and I felt a lot safer than ever before. Here in the west we we usually are in some kind of pine tree with lots of lower and upper limbs so a climbing stand is completely useless. I've never ever seen anyone use a climbing stand here. We are walking long distances to water holes and wallows so a hang on is perfect. My next time to hang a stand I will be using a lineman's belt with two ropes for hanging the stand. I got a lot of good pointers here from those who use a RC harness. I'm sold on them for tree stand hunting. I only climbed up once and then down by 7:30 am on opening day because I already had a dead bull on the ground!

05-Sep-17

snapcrackpop's Link
Here are 2 good videos about climbing trees for hunting. First one shows several topics about RC harness & hang-ons.

05-Sep-17

snapcrackpop's Link
This one shows using 2 lineman ropes (one on each side) for going around large branches & for transitioning from your sticks to the platform without disconnectiong. This application can also be used with a RC harness...

05-Sep-17

snapcrackpop's Link
And here is my basic climber & RC set-up

• Sitka Gear