hunt'n addict 14-Sep-17
MarineF18driver 14-Sep-17
jordanathome 14-Sep-17
deserthunter 14-Sep-17
Nesser 14-Sep-17
jordanathome 14-Sep-17
10-Sep-17

jordanathome's embedded Photo
To start I will post a pic of my pack out of camp......I had left it back in the woods since the opener but now my trips would be much shorter not requiring the full camp ensemble. Damn heavy at 50lb
To start I will post a pic of my pack out of camp......I had left it back in the woods since the opener but now my trips would be much shorter not requiring the full camp ensemble. Damn heavy at 50lb
I swear I don't mean this in a negative way. Well, I guess any error is a negative but if you aren't laffing your crying and I'm a big boy. I do cry. But I prefer to laff.

I get up to the alarm Weds morning at 3:45 am......damn....that hurts. I throw ice in coolers and coolers in the back seat of the truck. Kiss and bye to the wife.....time to go.

I'm amazed at the number of folks running and riding bikes at this hour mid-week....freaking boulder county. I am enjoying some tunes and cruising into north boulder about to head up into the hills and I think.....I need some gas....wallet. Wallet? WALLET??!! Holy fork me bat man..........I realize it is in the center console of the the old lady's grand cherokee where I left it last night taking my daughter and her friend to softball practice. I suck.

I flip the wheel around and spend another 25 mins driving back home. So it starts. I hate me.

10-Sep-17

Poor thrashed little pine.
Poor thrashed little pine.
Now I am an hour behind. I get up to the parking spot and there is a red 4 door taco there with two gentleman hunters gearing up. I stop and say hi....you guys headed to this location. They indicate no.......quick deer hunt on the ridge above. I advise I am hiking in and the trail and maybe I'll bump a deer their way but want to be sure I don't fork up their plans. They say no problem and gladly accept any mulies I can send their way.

I go park. The concerned private land owner next door who fails to understand FS rules had restacked their pile of sticks on the old road bed just off the existing FS road where I like to park. I drive up to closer to their property line and park in a nice shady spot. Not on their old road. They should be happy. I don't really care. I wonder if I will get more love notes......??

It is now shooting hours and I'm off and up the trail. I am in full trail clearing mode this trip. I'm sick of stumbling on loose rocks and pine cones. I hate me some pine cones. So I get extra aerobic exercise kicking chit off the trail so when I pack out I don't have to turn my ankle, etc. I get a couple hundred yards and its time to release some pressure. I find a nice rock to lean against and pull out the wet wipes. Sorry to anyone who found my present just off the trail........not really. LOL

I get over and enter a meadow covered in thick frost. The truck said lowest temp driving up was 37F but it obviously got a bit colder up in the drainage. The frost soon has my pants wet and cold.....feels good....I'm plenty warm now 1.5 miles into the trek.

I see some more rubs on the walk in as I'm hunting and moving slow. I plan to pop over and hunt the timber above a pond that usually has elk moving through between 7 and 8 am. I get about there and see a mulie buck. I range him at 62. He is facing me back in tight timber...no shot. Standoff. He finally moves on.......little did I know that after rarely seeing mulies this would be a trip where I run into a bunch of them. I was not thinking too much about filling my deer tag yet so I passed up on some good opportunities on deer........dumbass.......

10-Sep-17

View from ambush site above pond....pond is below on the right.
View from ambush site above pond....pond is below on the right.
View back up into the timber from the same location.....quite different eh? I have little cover so I have to be very still....but lots of shooting lanes.
View back up into the timber from the same location.....quite different eh? I have little cover so I have to be very still....but lots of shooting lanes.
Hammock...this is a Double Nest by Eagle Nest Outfitters....sweet!
Hammock...this is a Double Nest by Eagle Nest Outfitters....sweet!
Hammock selfie. I spent some quality time here mid day several days. Slept hard enough I had fresh tracks of mulies and an elk that passed through within 30-40 yards of me and I never had a clue.
Hammock selfie. I spent some quality time here mid day several days. Slept hard enough I had fresh tracks of mulies and an elk that passed through within 30-40 yards of me and I never had a clue.
No elk come through so I head back up towards camp taking my time and creeping along. Plenty of tracks but no animals to go with them. I am creeping up through the area I bumped the 6 and 7 point bulls last Sunday following tracks up the hill. I know there is a trail that leads to a meadow and a drainage that leads to a saddle......not a big surprise there is alot of traffic here. I am just short of the trail when I have stopped and am picking apart the timber above me for the 50th time that day and I see a body......its a deer not an elk. Nice broadside and a buck. About 40 yards. It moves on to the right and away in no particular hurry and drags along a doe and a smaller buck. Interesting. then I look again and see a doe still up there facing toward me but her head is behind tree trunks.

She knows I'm down here but she doesn't know what I am. She has not moved on with the herd. Wonder why.........anywho.....I think about shooting her but don't like the idea of cashing in my deer tag on a doe just yet and having to pack meat back to the truck after just packing back in......so I move a little to get a better look hoping she will move on without becoming unglued. She does move on quietly and all is well. I think this might be a good spot for an ambush and plan to come back for a morning or evening when the wind is favorable.

I continue my creep back to camp and find all is well and as I left it. Each time I expect to find my stuff ransacked by a bear or a hole human. So far so good. I immediately set up my hammock (having exchanged the ripped out one with no muss, no fuss, at JAX outdoors.....good place). I can't wait to relax. I plan to sleep in it this trip.

Life is good when you take a hammock hunting. Light. Off the ground. SOOOOOOOO NICE!!!!!

10-Sep-17
Hammock camping rules. Go about it right and, you'll never willingly go back to the ground. God Bless

10-Sep-17
I wake up and decide I don't need to make a water run today. That is cool. I packed in plenty and have some left over from the last trip. I hate making a water run as it involves mid day heat, full sun, little shade, and dropping then climbing back up well over 400' in elevation. No fun. I chill. About 4 pm it is time to make dinner before the evening hunt. I plan to go down to a transition zone above the wallows.......yes about 7 of them have developed now within a 200 yard area where 2 weeks ago there was only one. Seems like a good bet for an evening hunt.

I get down and pick out an ambush spot that works well with the wind and thermals that day. I am only 50 yards from the edge of the drainage meadow and maybe 150 yards up from the wallows. I have sat various places further down and heard bulls up in this area so I'm hoping to have a shot before its too dark but moving further up.

About 7 pm it is go time......elk should be moving...sun is behind the western ridge. I am standing in front of a pine trying to be still 30 mins later when I hear something blow hard above and to my left....about the same distance above the meadow but further up. It keeps blowing up in the woods....I can't see it. I think its a mule deer. I throw out some cow calls anyway.

Now....hindsight is 20/20. If I'd been smart I'd have bet that if it was an elk and it only saw movement (me.... I'm a big figity dumbass) but didn't know what it saw and now hears sweet cow calls it might creep in from below and wait for the cows to filter down and into his lap. I'm not smart so I stick to my spot expecting a bull to barge on down the hill and drop into my lap. IF I had been thinking I would have moved 40 yards down towards the meadow edge and the bull would have dropped into my lap within shooting hours. Since I'm not smart he did circle down below me about 50 yards away with a ton of rock and trees in between. I can hear him......no way to see him or get an angle on him without blowing him out. Time's up. I finally move for my pack and he busts out into the meadow from his ambush site for the cows below me. He still doesn't know what I am and starts grunting and barking and pacing around the meadow below. Still can't see him but its way gloomy now.....I do spend some time trying to pic him out with my binos but not happening.

I creep out.......making tons of noise with all the damn pine cones as I am sticking high in the timber trying to avoid busting more elk. I hear him following me down the drainage in the meadow as he is still barking demanding the cows come out to him. Sorry Charlie.

It sucked ass getting out of there but I get'r done and back to camp. I am not hungry. I'm ready for bed. I decide to try the hammock so I grab my sleeping bag and plop into the hammock. I notice quickly that the hammock is not windproof and my backside is cool. I position a light fleece throw I bring with me for extra insulation behind me with helps.

I throw out a location bugle for the hell of it and actually get a response further up the ridge. Cool. Tomorrows a new day. Maybe I'll get lucky. So far I'm my own worst enemy. I need some huge helpings of luck to overcome that challenge.

10-Sep-17

View up to the trail from my ambush site with the draw and saddle above left and meadow 200-300 yards hard left. Deep dark elk hole is behind me about 1/4 mile or so downhill and to the right.
View up to the trail from my ambush site with the draw and saddle above left and meadow 200-300 yards hard left. Deep dark elk hole is behind me about 1/4 mile or so downhill and to the right.
I decide with the wind forecast for the next morning I will try an ambush at the trail close to another meadow and the draw up to a saddle where I bumped the mule deer on weds morning. My alarm does not wake me.....slept hard in the hammock.....might be on to something here.......you might be right WV! I'm not too far off...its 10 mins to shooting hours but still pretty gloomy.

I get my clothes and gear on and head out. This spot is probably within 600 yards or so of my camp....probably further really but not far at all. I creep down slowly. I have my morning chew in and expecting some abdominal contractions. I am not disappointed. I find a good leaning rock and my wet wipes and go to work. Hope elk don't mind human butt stank......either way it has to happen. I am in place before 7 am. Looking good. I have shooting lanes in 3 directions. All within 40 yards. Hopefully something comes along . I'm good with a mule deer or elk.

I sit 3 hours. Nada. Nothing. Really disappointing as I had high hopes for this spot to produce an opportunity on something. And I really prefer to kill an animal in the morning and have all day to process and pack vs. last light of day and facing the tracking and processing and packing in the dark. And I forgot to pick up AAA batteries that run my headlamps and one was near dead.........remember the title.......unforced errors plague me. Sigh.

So I head back to camp and know I need to get water today before I cook dinner. I am back at 11 am take a short hammock break. But I'm not sleepy and I want to get water pumped and packed so I have time to cool off before the evening hunt.

I grab my bow and water stuff and head out. I see fresh mulie tracks heading down the path and think......hmmmmm.....I busted a buck here a couple days ago....wonder if I need to make this a deer hunt on the way to water. I let the thought go as I traverse down the steep trail regretting that I have to come back up it with 4 liters of water weight.

I hit the first bench that is a transition zone from one drainage to the other and has a large meadow mixed with ponderosa and aspen. It is south facing so it is dry and hot......not ideal mid day for game. And with my release in my pocket I see a mule deer buck trotting off to my left 50 yards ahead. I see where he is heading and he is not freaked out, just a calm trot, so I nock up an arrow and ease over that way hoping he might stick around. Nothing doing....he is gone. I keep my arrow on and head down to the creek to pump.

On the way back to camp lugging my hard won water I don't see anything. Its Hammock Time! I hang out and enjoy the breeze and coolness. Thinking ahead I decide to try the edge of a high meadow I've not yet hunted that evening. It is near a transition point from steep as hell dark timber that faces north. It is a mix of aspen and pine of various types. The wind is good pushing SE so I can snug up in there leaving room for an elk to come down from his bed past me. That is the plan at least.

I choke down some Alpine Aire Pad Thai. Not horrible. Not great. The soy sauce packets I gathered from our Chinese dinners and lugged along help. Its nearly 900 cals so that is its redeeming feature....plus it came with a packet of peanuts I added to one of my trailmix ziplocks.

I get up into position and scout around to get a lay of the land, wind pattern that evening and find an ambush spot with good shooting lanes. Time drags on and gets to 7 pm. I have squirrels and birds but no elk. At 7:30 the thermals kick and I can move in closer to the meadow edge where I hope a bull will step out. Instead I hear him below me thrashing a tree.....seems like 200 yards or so back down the meadow on my side. I puff out some windicator smoke and the wind is right to left with the thermal......good stuff for my approach and set up. I move quickly using trees in the meadow for (hopefully) cover to close the distance. I step out in front of a spruce and the gloom is quickly settling despite having a good 10 mins of shooting hours left. I see a grove of aspen below me and hope the bull hasn't seen my approach. I don't hear him. I throw out some cow calls. I think hunting solo is nice until you need a calling partner 50 yards behind you.

I am scanning the woods edge hard for the bull.....listening as hard as I can.....then I see him about 40 yards below me in a gap in the aspens......it is very hard to see but he is a good bull. Facing me. I reach for the range finder and by the time I get it up he is gone. Was he really there or was my eyes playing tricks. Cow call.....nothing. He is gone and time is up. I look to my right and see a 5 pt shed. I grab it on my way out.

Now I am faced with a tough mile long hike back to camp with prime elk habitat in between. I need to stay high and in the timber in hopes of limiting opps to spook elk in the dark or get winded. The easy road is right there but the risk of blowing out elk and ruining the area is too great.

I've made this hike many times in the daylight. But the dark is really tough, as you know. I miss my trail and end up in rocks. It sux. It sux moldy balls. I am making lots of noise thrashing about. I don't know it but at one point my path is blocked by fallen pine limbs....not small and full of tangley limbs. I wrestle them out of the way losing my rangefinder in its case.....didn't realize it until the next morning and only guessed (correctly) that it was at this worst point in the hike back.

I break through, see I'm in a saddle not far from camp and trudge on in. I am hot and sweaty and not happy with myself getting off course then persisting through rough crap rather than checking my gps and backing out to correct course. Dumbass.

I get my silnylon tarp out of the pack (carry it for a clean spot for meat if I ever get to kill something) and wrap it around me in my sleeping bag before falling into the hammock. No more wind cooling my backside. Time for sleep. Tomorrow I go back to the pond and my spot up in the timber so see if something moves through on its way to the deep dark nasty hole below.

10-Sep-17

rubbed pine freshie! This was a fine healthy pine last Monday.....now it is destroyed. Just below the pond where I missed the 6x6 the first Sunday of archery season. Still an active spot.
rubbed pine freshie! This was a fine healthy pine last Monday.....now it is destroyed. Just below the pond where I missed the 6x6 the first Sunday of archery season. Still an active spot.
I again wake up but not to my alarm. It must be muffled with me wrapped up like a bear pinata in the hammock......bear burrito.....whatever. I suit up grab my gear and head out. I realize I lost my rangefinder last night on my lost in the woods rock climbing adventure. This is great. I hate me. We know how this works when an elk steps out and I can't range it. Sigh.

I am down several hundred yards from camp where the meadow ends and there is some young pines before I reach the ambush spot.....

I get to the trail down to the old road. Sneaking along in super slo mo....nocked on and straining to see something in the surrounding woods or heard an elk. Nothing. I hit the road and continue. It is 15 mins into shooting light now. I notice I'm not having to transition around deadfalls.......wtf........ohhhhh....some a hole with a 4 wheeler had come through Thursday while I was snoozing and used a chainsaw to open up the road for his illegal closed road riding comfort. I'm pissed. I plan to reblock the road when my hunt is over. This is BS. I do like the open road though...........conflicted feelings here.

I set up and wait for nothing to show up. I'm not disappointed. I almost changed locations when I saw the abject disturbance of this hot zone that occurred the day before. I mean this a hole was raising cane with his motorized go cart and saw right in the middle of elk central above the deep dark drainage where they live and some times come out from. What a wreck of the area. I suspect is it out of state pumpkin heads prepping for the smokepole opener this saturday.

I hear a bugle. WTF.......I'm making a racket so maybe the bull on the ridge above me thinks its an epic elk fight and is chiming in. I grab my bow, drenched in sweat now from my efforts, and set up in front of a pine in the shade and cow call. I wait........nothing. I figure he was bedding down as he bugled and give up. I'm exhausted and have a long hike up the elk trail on my way back.

I have the gps track from last night's lost in the woods trek through the rocks and plan to backtrack to find my gps.

10-Sep-17

I get back to where I called to the bull and found the 5 pt shed. I start tracking back scanning the ground for sight of my gps case. The veg is thick and I'm not sure I can find it if it was lost in this meadow.

I continue on and finally get to the rocks. Its steep. If the gps case fell here it could go a LONG ways down. I am looking hard down hill but see nothing. Finally I am at the spot I expect it to be......and it is. I grab the gps and back the hell out and re route to get back to camp. Mission accomplished! One error corrected. Life is good. Now its Hammock Time!!!!

10-Sep-17

Checking messages on my InReach the wife reports a check engine light is on for her Grand Cherokee....great. Plus daughter has horse riding lesson plus 2 softball games Saturday.....hint....hint.....time for me to come home.

I send back that I will be home by noon on Saturday. I have an evening hunt and morning hunt to go plus pack out my camp.......not looking forward to the heavy pack out. I plan to ambush the bull headed to the wallow by setting up above his saddle coming into the drainage from where he bugled at me when I was stacking logs. There are tons of fresh tracks through there and the wind is favorable for the setup.

I get set up and all is good until 7 pm. Rumble to the south and west. I hear the wind coming. Here is the storm right at witching hour to fork up the evening hunt. I hang in until 10 mins to shooting hours running out and its not getting better. At least there is a little rain but not enough to really make a difference for long. I head back to camp dejected. I decide with rain I will sleep in the tent. I had prepacked stuff so I would have less to do in the morning to pack out. Saturday is first day of pumpkin head season so i have a orange pack cover and an orange vest so the dumbforks don't shoot me...hopefully.

I get up and pack up the tent and gear. Barely can fit the pack onto my frame pack. Its heavy. Damn....maybe its good I didn't kill an elk. I am a weak pu$$y of a man. LOL

I go back to the same spot hoping an elk comes back up through the saddle that morning. I listen for smokepoles firing......nothing. No elk. No shots. Time the head for the truck. It is not fun. I get out and the truck is there with no love notes or issues.

I text my wife I'm on my way. She is happy. Life is good. I'll be back.

10-Sep-17
Jordan, hate to hijack, it sounds to me like you need a FHF rangefinder pouch and tether. I love mine so much that I gave one away to a guide who complained of losing his rangefinder, and immediately bought another.

I have one for the rangefinder, and one for the GPS. and since I never take off my bino harness, it's always there and ready

10-Sep-17
Thanks Bake...I need to buy more stuff for hunting. :rolleyes: LOL

I had attached my case to the strap on my AGC bino rig.....but the strap was not installed correctly (by me) so no tension to keep it from slipping through the clip......and it did....which is why it fell off.

I usually attach it to the chest strap for my pack and that works well until I unbuckle to drop the pack.....and it slides off the strap. Which is why I tried a new attachment point.

I will check out the FHF pouch......... Good Luck the 16th!!!!

If you get one down within 2-3 hours drive from Boulder let me know and I'm game to come help pack for a steak or 3............. :)

10-Sep-17
So now I have some spots that I've not hunted that are within an hour drive plus I can get back into this spot in time for a quick evening hunt.

So I have a few week days I can play that card.....tues and thurs out due to daughter softball practice. I have next weekend 15, 16, 17 of which only the 16th will be a full day hunt. Hopefully the pumpkin heads are gone and the elk are not scattered to another county. I cached my hammock, water pump, some water bottles, and food in my campsite.

Then its the 22, 23, and 24th to close out archery season. Man......wait so long....gone so fast. Heat the water for tag soup.......... LOL sob

10-Sep-17
Never over until it is over. Plenty of time to get it done, only takes one minute. Good luck with the rest of the season.

10-Sep-17
Are you calling very much? It's time to make it happen. Best of luck. Hunt

10-Sep-17
Cow calls mostly. Raking trees. A couple bugles. Really waiting for the elk to fire up before calling much.

10-Sep-17
Good Luck Ill check back in on the 3oth when I get back from the Mountains!!

10-Sep-17

forgot to post pic of camp....moved tent last trip to a shadier spot. Tied up a dead aspen log to hold back a standing dead aspen from falling on me. The standing dead aspen is hidden back in the pine behind my tent.

10-Sep-17
Man I feel bad. Got a muzzy tag this year and now I'm a dumb fork....

10-Sep-17
LOL....I've hoisted the ole smoke pole a time or two....but not via an atv on roads closed to all motor vehicles.....so no you are not a dumb fork.....are you?

10-Sep-17
"Hoisted the ole smoke pole a time or two...". Sounds like a discussion for a different forum.

10-Sep-17
I'm not sure what's worse: ATVs reopening closed roads or you dropping bombs and littering wet wipes all over the mountains! Clean up your mess! Dig a hole, burry it and pack out your precious wet wipes. It's those sort of actions that give ALL hunters a bad name. Thanks for that.

10-Sep-17
You are too distracted by other shit to be effectively hunting elk.

10-Sep-17
They are totally disposable and biodegradable wet wipes..........no worries. sheesh. Burry it.....lol.......you go ahead. If I were in a heavily used area...sure for the humans.....but the elk, bear, deer, squirrels.....they don't give a crap.....they crap in the woods without burrying it too. LOLOLOL

Yes Lark but I tell it how it is.

11-Sep-17
If you spent as much time hunting as you do on all these different threads you'd kill an Elk.

11-Sep-17
Lol Nick....Tough crowd today! Keep at it Jordan, you'll make it happen eventually!

11-Sep-17
Some of you guys just never disappoint. Can always count on a negative comment or three. Entertaining read. Nice job, now go get'er done this year. Good luck.

11-Sep-17
He has a point....but I can't spend all my time in the woods and its fun to take a moment at home or at work to post up something on BS or Rokslide. It is all part of my evil plan to give hunters a bad name by leaving little statutes of malcontents from these threads out in the woods along with my biodegradable wet wipes.......still SMH on that one.......

11-Sep-17
For any person that is thinking about posting his or her hunting story I Hope you learn from this thread..I love the hunt,im a newbie elk hunter,,I'll probability fup a lot more and make bad decisions ,and I do plan on telling y'all the great details,but what youll never hear from me not should any person go over in detail about any part of crapping ,,,WTF REALLY??,,,Hey WITHOUT the moronic bit of the story .. I loved it,,

11-Sep-17
Point taken.....I thought folks enjoyed a little bathroom humor......who doesn't??!!.......now I know.

11-Sep-17
LMAO......keep at it Jordan. Kind of funny. It's like when TBM was on here guys would pull their hair out over what he was posting I mean they went crazy until he got nuked for good. I always wondered way if people don't like a thread do the keep following it. Just don't click on it. LMAO.......What happened next ? ...... LMAO

11-Sep-17
I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a trip with zero distractions so you can focus on the hunt. I am so glad my son is older now as I was always distracted with making sure ge was having "fun" when he was younger.

Get out there and get an elk!

11-Sep-17
Keep at it, enjoying the read. Good luck.

11-Sep-17
Stick with it and get more aggressive. Like Hunt said, its the time of year to make it happen. Bugle until you find him, stay quiet until you get close, and kill him. Good luck and God Bless

11-Sep-17
Good advice. Easy to play armchair qb but it sounds like a lot of pussy-footing around. Locate, go in agressive, and call them in. I'm definitely not a pro, but it's worked a bunch of times the last few years for me!

11-Sep-17
You know darn well I wish you the best, I wish everyone out there getting after it the best. I merely thought I was posting the obvious :)

11-Sep-17
LOL...I know Nick.....I'm all rutted up here. You should change your handle to Captain Obvious!

So.....I share plenty of details of the WHOLE trip. I loved Lark's story. Got in, made contact, called in the bull and killed his ass. Hell Yeah!

I'm more holistic in my experience because for me it IS all about the entire experience......even dropping a deuce now and then. A hunt, for me, is not just about the actual act of hunting but the entire play of things.....those supporting roles you have to play on a pack in camping hunt that are required before and after you do the actual hunting. I like to think its eye opening to see how much time and effort in "distractions" is required to get to the actual few hours each day the elk are active enough to really hunt.

To each their own....this is my path. I appreciate those who are enjoying it and I equally appreciate the suggestions as well.

I hoped to get out Weds for my bday but family matters take priority. I'll head back in Friday after the company staff appreciation festivities at Boulder Rez and stay through Sunday. This will be a stripped down camp and it is forecast to be damper and cooler......and the timing should bring on some changes towards more rut activity. I'm excited and focused. I will do what I can to write up my report in that vein.......but you know me.......LOL No more poop stories....unless its a really epic one.

11-Sep-17
Geez Jdee.....did you REALLY just compare me to TBM.........that hurts......low blow.....Unnecessary Roughness.....can we get him ejected???

11-Sep-17
Glad you at least realize I'm not busting your chops, but I kinda am :)

That said, regardless of what anyone on this site thinks of TBM, the guy is a killing machine. Unfortunately, too many thin skinned self proclaimed badasses on here couldn't take his humor along with his success.

Don't fret when being compared to TBM, the only difference thus far is that he posted dead animals once in awhile :)

11-Sep-17
omg.......ouch

11-Sep-17

11-Sep-17
As to the poopy parts, reminds me of elk hunting. My partner instantly needs to go #2 at the first sound of a morning bugle. Gotta stop and wait instead of going after em. Used to bug me, now i laugh. It aint gonna kill nobody to hear about something they have been going themselves for 40yrs is it?

11-Sep-17
I will gladly share my story of the life-changing dump I took opening weekend after eating 3 Cliff bars the day before. I am still not quite right...

12-Sep-17
The photos of the Roswell alien autopsy looked more genuine that TBM's kill pictures! :-D [lights fuse...retires to safe distance] You know he surfaced for a while over on Elknut's forum? Keep at it Jordan...don't take no sh- well, you get the idea Good luck and good hunting, the lot of you!!

12-Sep-17
Jordan,

I like the story with all the details. Setting up camp, getting water, learning how to hammock camp, crapping, etc are all part of the experience. Since we're living vicariously through you, adding the details helps to do that. Otherwise it would just be "I went out, didn't kill an elk, then I went home..."

12-Sep-17
Keep at it bud. I think people are probably just shocked at the tone difference between your scouting trips - happy happy happy positive positive positive, to the hunt where it seems to be just a giant facepalm and more reflecting on the things that went wrong. Just remember - a lot is going right for you! You are in areas with elk, you seem to be getting close to elk, they are around! The first and most giant hurdle has been jumped over. Enjoy the experience for the rest of us who are not in the elk woods this year! All the best and good luck!

As so many people that elk hunt say it is all mental is because of that reason. Everyone is an optimist going in, keeping that optimism flowing through a hunt where things don't go as planned is the tough part. Always remember, it literally takes 15 seconds to turn into the best season EVER!

12-Sep-17
I did not realize I was coming across as negative. I tend to be hard on myself.....but the intent is to do it with a sense of humor. Sure I made alot of unforced errors on this trip. Alot had NOTHING to do with killing or not killing an elk. A few really important ones were lessons learned and hopefully will help me adjust tactics the next time.

No crap I am in the elk......Other than a couple dead morning hunts after the elk were run out by atv's and chainsaws......I have had more close encounters without busting/being winded than in prior year. If the season ended for me today I would be totally satisfied with only myself to blame for muffing a dunk shot on a 45 yard broadside bull........due to leaving my rangefinder when I dashed into a shooting location.

I've only had one direct encounter with another hunter. I've heard a few. I've seen evidence of a couple others. For the most part I've felt like I had the immediate areas I am hunting to myself the vast majority of the time.

I am 100% positive I will have between 6 and 12 more hunts (mornings and evenings not days) and that I will get very very close again....hopefully close enough to drop string accurately.

Thanks All!!!!

12-Sep-17
You've got this. Don't worry about documenting every detail on the next few hunts, just go out there and find the elk, play the wind and make a plan to get as close as possible. Be aggressive if the situation calls for being aggressive or know when to let them come to you. I look forward to reading about your experiences; and you're right that killing isn't the end-all be-all for elk hunting. (My deer season has been a HUGE success and I haven't shot one yet. Seeing 10 deer opening weekend is HUGE for this area)

Good luck!

12-Sep-17
Yea Jordan I guess I was comparing you to TBM he was one of the few guys on here that had no PC in himself at all !! Just told it like he saw it and so many guys would act like a little kid who just saw their first road kill guts up close. Then again I guess America is getting pretty feminized . Now go kill a bull. Good story LMAO at parts of it...

12-Sep-17
Well, get at em and good luck!

I can see what Nick is getting at. I'm kind of nearer that end of the scale myself, when hunting I'm there to hunt, not bask in the glory of the mountains or other such stuff. The "experience".... that is there and has always been there since I can remember, it happens while you're hunting, you don't have to "make" it happen. Not on vacation, not taking breaks, I'm not worried about the food, certainly not running into town for dinner. If I'm getting in a nap it isn't back at camp, it's under a tree from a good glassing spot usually. I'm gone from family then, barring an emergency they aren't in the picture. They will be there when I get back. I'm there for one purpose..... the hunt.

Guess what I'm trying to say is the hunting IS the "whole experience"...... all the rest is just what you do to hunt. You don't let the outside stuff screw up your hunt. Focus. The goal is to kill an elk. That's the fun part, when your heart is beating outside of your chest and your legs are a little shaky. Not test driving hammocks.... =D

I know you have more time left. Hope you can put a good chunk of it in at one time at some point. A week or two. I have a theory that coming straight out from civilization it can sometimes take a day or three just to get into serious hunting mode, become a predator. If you're only popping in for a day or two at a time that is a handicap IMO. Get into the game mentally. It will happen. It's a mental challenge to focus everything on the hunt, discouragement beats you down but you have to be mentally sharp and prepared because it can happen at any second.... a window of opportunity that comes and goes. How it turns out is all up to how prepared you are AT THAT SECOND to make it happen.

Just heard a story of a guy, never killed an elk yet. He was set up at a bush on a wallow, storm blows in and he decides to slip under a nearby tree 10 feet away for cover till it blows over. Without his gear and.... his bow tucked under the bush. Bull comes into the wallow.... in his lap. Pinned down he can just watch the bull fling some mud around and leave.

wow..... what an "experience" to see.... and he still hasn't killed an elk......

I do enjoy your stories and appreciate them. You'll get it done. Just keep positive and..... focus.....

12-Sep-17
Yea, your story telling is different, but I am enjoying it. Keep at it.

12-Sep-17
It's been great following along with you. Keep it coming!!!

12-Sep-17
Dropped off the wife's Jeep at the stealership tonight.....emphasized with Andy the service guy I plan to hunt tomorrow night so we need this wrapped up by noon.....2 pm latest tomorrow. We shall see. If it works out I'm hunting as of 6 pm tomorrow for my 48th Bday.......

13-Sep-17
HBD Jordan! I hope you get a BD elk. I like your stories, they are entertaining and I find them humorous... Now Go Kill An Elk!!

13-Sep-17
Hey dude I'm enjoying following this...go get a birthday bull man....they start to get a little dumb this week so be aggressive.

13-Sep-17
Write ups like these are why I lurk bowsite and only rarely post. Keep it going and do it how you want to. If you're having fun why is anyone else worried about it? The details take me back to the mountains while I'm sitting at my desk in Illinois, which is very much appreciated.

14-Sep-17
Solo elk hunting on your birthday...... there's some commitment! Birthdays are just an arbitrary specific date, you can celebrate your birthday with others any date you want, or don't celebrate them at all, done both..... it's not etched in stone (elk season is.....) Nothing better. Preparedness X opportunity X time. It'll happen.....

We're all following don'cha'know..... =D

14-Sep-17
Lark Bunting, I ate 3 Fiber-1 bars once. Bad move. Thought they were like granola bars. Take it from me, don't ever do that.

14-Sep-17
TrapperKayak...you may have had the opposite effect with the Fiber-1 bars...(I actually have a funny story of taking my Hunter's Ed class after eating one of those just prior. Tiny class room+bathroom right off the tiny room+ leaving my almost 10 year old son in the class to have to listen me blow that tiny bathroom to hell and back...)

I will never eat two Cliff bars in one day again. I swear that those things never digested, combined, swelled to the size of a NFL football and tried coming out sideways. I literally had tears on my cheeks while trying to avoid getting bitten by ants crawling along the log I was leaning up against.

My wife laughs hysterically every time it gets mentioned... :(

14-Sep-17
As my buddy Greg says......KTBO.....knock the bottom out.

14-Sep-17
lark Bunting - I just spit all over my keyboard laughing. That was good. LMAO

14-Sep-17
Jordan Sir - i appreciate you sharing your hunting story - details and all! Im currently deployed on an aircraft carrier in the Arabian Gulf, missing elk hunting entirely this year, and trying my best to live vicariously through stories like yours - so thanks for sharing and please dont let anybody's negative comments get you down!

To all the haters - bug off! If you dont want to read this man's story - dont! Go back to your latest issue of People and Vogue - why rain on this man's parade.

14-Sep-17
Thank you for your SERVICE SIR!!!

14-Sep-17
I once shot a bull as I was standing about three feet away from where my brother inlaw took a godawful dump 6 hours earlier. Said to meet him back where we split up that morning. He thought that was the funniest thing ever.

14-Sep-17
It's going down this weekend...they're on fire! My daughter and I called a 6 pt up to 40 yds off my deck last night. They've taken the stupid pills this week! Bring your knives Jordan

14-Sep-17
I always do.......thanks for the report Nesser. I am calling the ball on tonights hunt......it's gonna be a rain out/blow out from the radar. Tomorrow come 3 pm.....I'm out and its on.

• Sitka Gear