caribou77 16-Sep-17
GF 16-Sep-17
caribou77 16-Sep-17
GF 17-Sep-17
WV Mountaineer 17-Sep-17
caribou77 17-Sep-17
10-Sep-17

caribou77's Link
Unfortunately we have no still pics of him and dad didnt exactly set the world on fire with his video skills.... But according to Bob (16 year caribou guide) he's only seen 2 bigger and several that tied. Jamie our other guide had never seen one bigger.

12-Sep-17
i cant believe no one has commented on this at all

12-Sep-17
Tough to see but if the guides say so it was a horse. We saw a couple outsized gaggers too

12-Sep-17
I would've commented if I could actually see the bull.

12-Sep-17
To really see it you have to use a computer screen. Yes, its worthless video on a phone. Dad failed us on this one.

12-Sep-17
Did you shoot him?

TMBB

12-Sep-17
Nope. He ran by one of the longbow hunters at 15 yards. Dad and I were tagged out when he went by at 60 yards. And the other longbow hunter turned down my offer to take him with my muzzleloader.

12-Sep-17
He probably feels too elitist to post it here. LOL

12-Sep-17
I have caribou hunted up there five times and never seen terrain that Baron it is absolutely amazing

12-Sep-17
I checked it out on my computer the other day. You must have much better eyes than me, cause I could barely tell it was a bull!

12-Sep-17
Nice 'bou for sure Luke.....I know that hill at Inukshuk.... :)

12-Sep-17
Once I hit "Ctrl and +" on my computer, I could see the bull reasonably well.....I wasn't sure if he was still in velvet or not, but his bez pts and tops looked good. What was particularly impressive is his width.

13-Sep-17
Thanks for the tip! Still not real clear, but I did get a glimpse of the width just before they went down over the hill. That width is incredible!

16-Sep-17
Wait... A guy with a longbow had that bull at 15 and nothing happened???

Believe it or not, though... If I had only one tag and several days left to hunt, I think I would've passed on the ML shot myself.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have been on a hunt like that unless I was extremely comfortable with my point-on distance. I don't know what the wind conditions were like, but Just Sayin'....

16-Sep-17
Just sayin what?

16-Sep-17
Once I blow up the screen I can see him fine. Nice critter.

So did someone get him or his he still on the hoof?

16-Sep-17
Yes, GF, the bull ran by Kim at about 15 yards. Came from behind her at a fast pace. She wasn't ready. As far as being confident in her shooting, apparently she's very good and had taken many animals with her bow.

And Craig, her husband was the gentleman I offered my muzzleloader to. This was on the 4th day late in the afternoon. They had 1 day and a few hours changeover day to get an animal. The caribou sightings had also been declining quickly over the couple days.

And wilbur, no one took him on our trip. Everyone but the longbow hunters were tagged out when he came by.

16-Sep-17
Man... getting caught off guard is the WORST! And one of the things I like most about a string-bow is that I can get a good shot off SO much faster... but you've gotta have an arrow close at hand, which is why the first thing I do when I stop for a minute is to get one on the string.

Gotta give that guy credit for sticking to his weapon of choice, especially under the circumstances - assuming there'd be no legal implications, not many would've let that dude just keep on trotting like that. Sounds like both of them have moved beyond the point where killing - or even taking an exceptional specimen - is no longer the entire point of the exercise, and these days, we need more people like that in the field as teachers, mentors and just plain Good Role Models.

'Bou-bound - Just sayin' that my point-on distance is pretty close to 60 yards.... anything more than that would only serve to hijack the thread.

16-Sep-17
Gf, Craig asked me for my muzzleloader 4 hours later at camp. Which I loaned him the remainder of the trip. Kim and Craig were there as meat hunters 1st. The only reason they didn't shoot (or take shots at cows) is because the guides were sure they could get shots at bulls. Which they did.

As for your point shooting abilities, 60 yards accurately on animals is impressive for modern compound shooters. Accurately shooting a bow in the 50 mph winds we were having on days is a feat in itself.

17-Sep-17
In that case, I guess I'd say that guy's got LOUSY timing! LOL... So did those two ever connect on a bull? (You're kinda trickling out the info a tiny bit at a time here...) ;)

Big wind is a deal-breaker on a longer shot, that's for sure. No place around here to practice for that sort of thing.

Straight up - I don't really know what I could do at 60 yards because I haven't worked on it... I've played around some and surprised myself at how well I was actually shooting... but that's playing, not Working At It. Right now, today? Forget it. I've seen some signs of promise in my longer shooting, but I'm not delusional.

But if I had a chance to go on a trip like that, you can bet I'd be taking the time to find out exactly what I'm capable of ahead of time; I figure you never know what's going to come up, but when something DOES comes up? You'd best be real clear on what you can and can't do...

17-Sep-17
He shouldn't have been so proud, took the muzzle loader, and shot what appeared to be was an incredibly wide caribou. It looked like a hoss to me.

17-Sep-17
I really think had he not had both guides, dad and I standing there. And a couple minutes alone and not feeling rushed into it, that he would have used it. That night at camp he asked if he could and asked me to show him everything about the gun. He owns a muzzleloader himself, but a side lock. I don't blame him at all for not shooting him that day. I know he would have been 1000x more proud of a cow shot with his bow than a giant bull shot with my muzzleloader. And he did take a bull in the last minutes of the last morning with my muzzleloader.

• Sitka Gear