jordanathome 14-Sep-17
jordanathome 14-Sep-17
Chief 14-Sep-17
jordanathome 14-Sep-17
APauls 15-Sep-17
Lark Bunting 15-Sep-17
jordanathome 17-Sep-17
14-Sep-17
I was able to leave work a little early and go for an evening hunt for my 48th birthday. Spirits were high. Wind forecast was good. Rain chance was like 10%

I hiked back to my spot by 6 pm and got settled, ranged some openings, settled in to listen and wait.

7 pm arrives and so does a gust front. Trees are creaking and moving alot. I am hoping it blows through and settles as the elk don't like to move around when the wind blows plus it was all over the place spreading scent everywhere.

1/4 to 8....no better and a few splatters of rain and mist. Time to go.

The end.

Plan to go back tomorrow night if possible, then back for the weekend come Friday afternoon. Tick Tock.

14-Sep-17
Happy Birthday! Good luck on the weekend.

14-Sep-17
Such a boring story.

50% chance of rain with high winds and lightening forecast from 6-8 pm. I don't have time for this mother nature chit! LOL

14-Sep-17
I remember one year when my son was much younger I was caught in a "Four-Season-Storm". We were on a ridge line that we had worked our tails off to climb when it got really windy. The wind was followed by heavy rain, then some snow, then the lightning and thunder began and then it hailed like crazy. I couldn't decide what to do as we were getting pummeled by that pea size hail and wanted to seek shelter under a pine tree but the lightning was too scary so we started descending elevation so we weren't at the top. Just about the time I got my son settled into a little pine needle nest under a big pine he says, "Dad, look...ELK!". I turn around and what do you know...six cow elk were moving just below us. We watched them keep on moving and never saw them again.

I don't blame my son on all the missed opportunities we had when he was younger but having him with me was always my first priority...then it was keeping him safe, occupied, and well fed. Most of the time hunting elk was a few rows down my list.

I know you joke about the non-distraction-hunt here but at least you got out, and hopefully had some fun. Keep your eye on the prize and enjoy your hunt!

14-Sep-17
This guy gets it^^^^^

14-Sep-17
First elk I saw while hunting showed up downwind of my hidey hole in heavy wind after one of those 4 season blowouts. Stupid elk don't read so they don't know better.

I nearly got the draw on them when the bulls were at my level but the wind swirled and they blew outta there finally.

I go with percentages. Low percentage hunts often have low returns for the effort and time invested. So I could go tonight. Green light is on. But the forecast and radar say FORK THAT NOISE.

I'm on it tomorrow as soon as 3 pm chimes. Not taking much this trip. Bivy sack, sleeping bag, I have my water kit and some food plus the hammock cached out there waiting. My plan is to only take a break between 11 and 2 for water fetching and lunch. The rest of the time I will be in hunt mode in the timber trying to rustle up a deaf, blind, and noseless bull.

14-Sep-17
Good luck!!!!!!!

14-Sep-17
Shoulda hunted tonight. Looks like storms held off plus instead I traded my taco for a jeep wrangler sahara unlimited. Lol.

14-Sep-17
Just Emptied Every Pocket

Dude, don't you know...never make big purchases without consulting the innerwebs!

Should have stuck with the Tacoma.

14-Sep-17
Still pulling for ya....stay after them!!

14-Sep-17

jordanathome's embedded Photo
Taco was too small to handle softball girls......needed 4 doors and the bed wasn't really helping. I consulted hard.....this was a thought out purchase but I had planned to assault it after elk season. Good think I did it today......not too many of these at the price I got and as I got there a dude had it out for a test drive. I grabbed it as soon as he got back and drove it while they worked up the trade numbers. I made one counter and they accepted while he was out on his 2nd test drive. He was a little unhappy when his flip flops had to ride his scooter he rode in on back home..........

I thought $16500 was a decenty deal on a super clean (looks a year old instead of 10) 4 dr wrangler sahara...wish it had a hard top but at least the mudders are brand new.

14-Sep-17

14-Sep-17
Good thing you're not distracted for this hunt.

14-Sep-17
LOL.....no shit

15-Sep-17
How many times do you think sales guys get other sales guys to put other clothes on and take test drives on vehicles they have some coming to look at? ;)

15-Sep-17
Chief LOL!

17-Sep-17
APauls.....I just showed up. I had no appointment but it was on my way back to the office and there was a 2008 at the toyota shop next door I also wanted to check out...it was rough. Nice to know sales folks are such upstanding honest people........

• Sitka Gear