wilbur 14-Sep-17
Jim B 14-Sep-17
wv_bowhunter 14-Sep-17
Shawn 14-Sep-17
wilbur 14-Sep-17
wv_bowhunter 14-Sep-17
Jim B 15-Sep-17
14-Sep-17
I'm not a very sharp guy, but please explain to me how the cables on tree stands break. I put mine up and take them down so they're only up and exposed to the elements for a couple weeks a year - and that's only every 2-4 years. I suppose if you leave leave them up for the season, or year round for that matter, they could weather. But they'd take a long time to rust through, wouldn't they?

Do I need to replace mine? They're probably about 10 years old.

14-Sep-17
Metal rusts. It's that simple. Some take longer than others. I have several hang on stands. I replaced a few cables with factory cables. Most only lasted 4-6 years and looked scary. Some cable had a few broken strands. They all now have chains instead of the cables. Set for the rest of my days.

14-Sep-17
They tend to break where the crimp is on the cable. The crimp holds the eye that attaches to the stand with the bolts. The water and moisture must collect there and cause the rust. I leave mine out all year. I either take them down and repplace the cables every 3 years or just add another cable long side of the one there.

14-Sep-17
Most of my homemade stands have chains instead of cable. No straps either.

14-Sep-17

rooster's embedded Photo
rooster's embedded Photo
The vinyl coating on the cables holds moisture and the result is rust. Buy good name brand stands and maybe you have a chance at getting replacement cables. I'm a fabricator and build some of my stands and have the skills to modify the others should I need a cable replaced or whatever. I used to build weight lifting equipment and so I have a cable crimping tool. I use 3/16" vinyl coated stainless steel cable so, so far rust hasn't been an issue. I also use copper sleeves.

14-Sep-17
I buy replacement stainless steel cables from these guys. Good quality moderately priced. Lexco Cable Manufacturing & Distributors, Inc. 7320 West Agatite Avenue Norridge, IL 60706 www.lexcocable.com http://www.lexcocable.com/resource-library.html

(773)588-8890

14-Sep-17

Jim B's embedded Photo
Jim B's embedded Photo
Water runs down,inside the vinyl covered cable and is trapped there.That twisted cable is like a screw and plenty of small strands to retain water.I think also,condensation can form in changing temperatures.Galvanized cable doesn't do well in standing water.

I brought one of my stands in and several weeks later,decided to cut the black plastic off to check the cables.I wasn't shocked they were badly corroded but my hand was wet when I ran it over the cable.I only will trust stainless cable now and no vinyl coating.I want that cable to be able to dry out.

Besides copper sleeves,make sure the cable thimbles are stainless.

14-Sep-17
Wilbur, would you mind sharing the specs you use when building your cables on that website and how much they run you?

14-Sep-17
I have so many stands It would be a pain to take them down each year and storing them would be worst. I have had some stands up fro as many as 25 years. I started years ago replacing cables while the stand is in the tree. As people said metal rusts, I also replace the ratchet straps whenever needed. Shawn

14-Sep-17
Send an email with a picture of the cable laid out next to a tape measure. They are $15.00 each.

Contact information follows for the guy that helps me. Tek Mengistu

LEXCO CABLE Manufacturing & Distribution 7320 W. Agatite Ave. Norridge, IL 60706 T: (855) 213-1703 | Direct: (702) 331-4315 | F: (702) 410-9068 http://www.lexcocable.com/

[email protected]

14-Sep-17
Thanks!!

15-Sep-17
That sounds like a great way to go(Lexco).

• Sitka Gear