lineman21 17-Sep-17
jordanathome 17-Sep-17
Missouribreaks 18-Sep-17
Fuzzy 18-Sep-17
Fuzzy 18-Sep-17
Lark Bunting 18-Sep-17
Lark Bunting 18-Sep-17
14-Sep-17
I put enough pressure on myself in general but now I have even more pressure being applied by my 11 year old daughter.

I got my elk this season on Sept. 2. I packed that $*(#ing out for 13 1/2 hours straight on into the 3rd, kept it in the cooler with ice and frozen jugs of water until morning of the 4th and began the butchering. I've made a few meals with it now and had a great talk with my daughter as she was helping me wrap the meat. My enthusiasm of being a hunter and a *ahem* successful one at that ;) came out during the conversation and I might have mentioned all the processed crap that gets added to grocery store beef. I told her about the hormones, the steroids the anti-biotics...how Mad Cow disease began (being fed ill animal remains) and that it didn't stop with beef...OH NO! (I now know I should have just quickly placed both my feet into my mouth and STFU) I continued with the poultry and fish...and that we should watch Food Inc on Netflix together!!!

I might have mentioned that all these hormones and additives were speculated to be the culprit behind early puberty in girls... (I really should have stopped but kept going)

I now have an 11 year old daughter that doesn't want to eat anything but the elk I shot...and the deer if I get one before season ends, the fish that I always catch & release.....because she's afraid she'll go through early puberty...in 6th grade.... (I really should have asked my son to help me process that dang elk!)

So, I am three days into a fever, have a cough and a sore throat that is literally making me not want to swallow anything...and I am supposed to go deer hunting tomorrow-weekend. I am now expected to bring home a deer so she can help me package the final cuts..oh, and if I get some time to swing by the S. Platte and catch some fresh trout she'd be happy with that too.

Me and my big mouth! *cough*

14-Sep-17
Sounds like a great excuse to hunt and fish with your kids even more!

14-Sep-17
Pressure is on!

14-Sep-17

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Madi LOVES to fish! (I can't get her to come hunting with me though)

15-Sep-17
Sounds like you are going to have to get really good at hunting or grow your own beef. I think a few meat rabbits can produce something like 200#s of meat a year. ;)

15-Sep-17
Ha ha, the great/not so great part about kids believing everything we say.

15-Sep-17
That's funny, kids are so black and white with things. Now go bring home some meat!

15-Sep-17
My 4 year old daughter makes better life choices than I do. We've lectured her about sugar before bed, so she weaned herself off all sugar. Won't drink anything but water because she doesn't want to go to the dentist.

Asks us if her snacks have protein in them.

Kids these days. :)

15-Sep-17
Lark, Great story ,well told...

I once had to hunt with a lingering cold / cough. You know the kind that sneaks up and tickles your thought like feathers and sand . No stopping the cough. So I would bury my head under the coat and try to muffle , best I could. Figuring it is loud enough I may as well work with it , so each time I coughed , I would finish with a call . Some snort-wheezing and some grunts.

Brought in two bucks and a doe . Get that venison friend . Cold or no cold.

15-Sep-17
Day 4 with the fever so I am not going tonight. I will see how it plays out but I have most of next week off to fill the deer tag. I made some elk jerky tonight so she'll be happy about that. How the hell do you explain that 6th grade is about average for puberty?! She's convinced about half her class has eaten too much grocery store meat!

15-Sep-17
Sounds like you got a good problem man. You are raising them right.

Just to add a bit, my wife has been struggling with her health for the last 5 years. Joint swelling, Muscle pain, Thyroid, IBS, etc... We've been to every doctor we can get an appointment with but, No luck, just more pills for whatever they determined her issues. Well, 4 weeks ago we got in with a specialized D.O. out of NY state. He took some blood samples, a hair sample, and urine samples. After the results, he made her a diet free from processed food, gluten, any meat, fish, or poultry containing MSG's, cut out several veggies she loved but did so based on the test results, and all soy based products. Took her off all the pills except a stomach pill. We've been on it for 3 weeks and WOW. He based his recommendations on her test results but, was very quick to say the problem we Americans face as a whole is the stuff in our food.

My wife is almost 50, wears a size 4, has her six pack abs back, and is really enjoying life again. I literally can't make anyone understand how quickly this has transformed her back to her old self. All because of what she chooses to eat. So, it sounds like your daughter is heading for a long healthy life based on your talk. Didn't mean to derail the thread but, sounds to me like you did a great job. Look at the bright side, its an excuse to apply for more tags. :^) God Bless

16-Sep-17
It's usually the case that non-hunters are turned off to venison for no good reason. Good for your Daughter. In NJ we have unlimited antlerless harvest so keeping enough deer meat in the freezer is no problem if you have some good land. Good luck. Looks like you have a good kid there.

16-Sep-17
Pig doc...which would you say is healthier? Beef or elk? Which has less hormones and steroids?

16-Sep-17
Lots of beef is synthetic hormone free, as well as both types of steroids. I might also add that hormones and steroids are naturally produced in deer, elk and humans. I am not suggesting that adding more is good, just pointing out that hormones and steroids naturally occur in everyone's body, including elk and deer..

16-Sep-17
Private Reply

"It would be much better if you told your daughter the truth about meat - that it's really not full of antibiotics, steroids and hormones. Do your homework. We have enough of those fabrications being told by the PETAs and Chipotles of the world. No sense perpetuating the myths and driving more and more kids to veganism. I'm all for eating venison and other wild game but our farm raised meat here in the US is healthy and wholesome as well."

This is a very true statement, any trace of antibiotics, pesticides ( most legal in this country just break down to CO2 and water) are taken care of in the curing ( vinegars, spices and sauces) and cooking processes. US has probably the safest food industry in the world due to the lack of various microbial and fungal contamination.

Be aware of the "its all natural" claims of those organic folks. All natural means no protection for salmonella, campflobacter, listeria, and all the other stuff. As far as the super foods, look to see what the FDA says about them. Texas superfoods still haven't replied to FDAs 2015 warnings about their health claims. Linda McCarthey had run ins with them too with her "all natural" animal friendly nutrition line. Wouldn't expect any less for a huge HSUS , PeTA supporter like her and her husband Paul. Been tellin gmy kids the true since they were 4 or 5 , love the deer sticks, steaks and we all fought over the trout fillets for breakfast this morning..fried in real butter.

16-Sep-17
I think we can all agree with that doc!

16-Sep-17
I typed out a long response and deleted it. If you think you're an expert on how safe our food is by watching a biased documentary then there's no helping you.

17-Sep-17
Not directed at you at all pig doc. It was directed at the first post. Agree with you 100% as a beef producer.

17-Sep-17
Amen......good to hear some balance to this discussion.

Lark.....my daughter is 10.......we should hook the girls up sometime....catch come brookies... ;)

18-Sep-17
Lots of fake news in play here. I agree with Pig Doc.

18-Sep-17
<3

18-Sep-17
I'm glad you have fostered an interest in hunting and the healthy aspects of consuming game meats. As Pig Doc says, the rhetoric regarding chronic hazards of eating domestic meats is very overblown.

18-Sep-17
All right, all right, point absolutely taken and I mean that. I had a chat with the kiddo yesterday about the changes in the way beef, chicken, fish, etc is handled and put her straight. I turned it into a little homework/research assignment since the Broncos were in a weather delay. We both learned a LOT!

I apologize for poisoning my child with bad information but we also read up on the ways things once were and the amount of crap that was in meat was scary.

I want to sincerely thank you for making me do more research, I enjoyed the research and my daughter and I came out of it smarter people.

18-Sep-17
I meant well initially but learned that I didn't give her all the facts, which wasn't completely fair.

I still say that there was a period where all the additives were not doing the industry any favors and that there were many reports of adolescent puberty happening with ties back to the meat, dairy, etc.

Food, Inc is a very disturbing (and may be unfair..it's been years since I watched it) video that stuck with me. Perhaps I should revisit it with a more open mind?

• Sitka Gear