Kodiak 18-Sep-17
Trial153 18-Sep-17
Bullhound 18-Sep-17
Grasshopper 18-Sep-17
Beendare 18-Sep-17
Franklin 19-Sep-17
Grasshopper 19-Sep-17
15-Sep-17
I earlier posted I accidentally knocked my binoculars off a table and one of the strap anchors broke as the binoculars landed sideways on the floor. I told Swarovski it was my fault...I took ownership of the accident. I was told it would cost $160 to repair / replace the strap anchor. My understanding from other hunters over the years and the store I purchased the binos from was that Swarovski had the best warranty in the business. I was disappointed because I believed the $160 was high to replace or repair one strap anchor. I knew what the warranty stated and from the start I told them it was my fault and not normal wear and tear. My belief that they had the best warranty in the business was also based on the fact that numerous other respected hunters had told me "Swarovski's customer service went above and beyond their Warranty" I gave them my credit card # and expected a quality repair on the broken strap anchor.

Entitled or Cheap...NO .....sorry to disappoint whoever said I was...that is not me....but we are all entitled to our opinions. My opinion was $160 to replace one strap anchor was too much (I still believe that) and that Swarovski no longer has the best warranty in the business (On paper) (I still believe that). I do believe they have the best glass followed by Leica and then Zeiss.

I received my binoculars back yesterday afternoon. I have no idea how they made it across the border as fast as they did. I paid the courier the $27 for taxes and fees and opened the box. Many of you were bang on in that they just did not repair / replace the one strap anchor. They replaced both strap anchors, the housing, the eye cups and the armouring. They did an internal cleaning and repaired the focus mechanism.

I was not expecting that! To top it off the charge listed on the packing slip indicated $100. I immediately contacted Swarovski and spoke with one of their representatives in the repair department. I told them I had agreed to the $160 repair cost and that is what I should pay. I asked to speak to the Rep. I had talked to earlier. I was informed due to the high volume of repairs that Joe had come in from the field for one week to help out. I attempted to pay the remaining $60 of the agreed price of the repair but they in pleasant terms declined. I was supplied with Joe's contact information and called him. He never answered the phone...no wonder!

Did Swarovski go above and beyond their warranty and the agreed repair of one broken strap anchor for $160..... In my case...ABSOLUTELY! I believed they would do an excellent job on the repair but never expected anything like that. I believed I owed them an apology since I was only expecting the strap anchor repair and apologized to Joe and informed him that due to their service I felt I had to do something in their name.

On a side note I just lost a very good friend and one of my true hunting mentors over the years. I am sure many of you have heard of and dealt with Jerome Knap (Owned Canada North Outfitting and Global Expeditions). Through my eyes he was a class act, very generous in supporting many of our fundraising events with SCI and a good friend...he will be missed.

In honor of Jerome I told Swarovski as part of my appreciation I was donating $200 in their name to a worthwhile cause in the hunting industry. Not sure what...possibly pay for a couple of kids that cannot afford the hunter safety course or something along those lines.

If I ever make it to a Pope & Young Convention any Bow Site member that recognizes me I will buy them a drink for Swarovski (I will be the guy eating the Crow!).

I hope everyone has a safe hunting season no matter what glass they are looking through.

15-Sep-17
Congratulations. Swarovski is the very best. I'm glad you are satisfied.

15-Sep-17
I'm not surprised in the least. I think you should post all that on the other thread.

15-Sep-17
I posted it on a new thread so it would not be lost in the mix?

15-Sep-17
Good to hear they lived up to your expectations. I'm a big fan of the slap-stroke approach :)

15-Sep-17
I paid to have mine repaired but had always heard that Swaro would fix them for free even if it was your fault. I read that on sites many times that guys send theirs in and they came back ...no charge....Just goes to show you , don't believe everything you read on a hunting site. Glad it all worked out ! You took a lot of heat .

15-Sep-17
Yep just like I thought. Great customer service. Careful to bash a company before the end result! Glad it worked out for you

15-Sep-17
I still say you took way too much heat for posting you opinion. Glad that you are satisfied with the outcome. All's well that ends well!

15-Sep-17
Ermine, At no time in my conversation with the Swarovski Rep. did he tell me that they were going to replace numerous parts on my binoculars for the $160. I was told the repair would be for the one strap anchor that I said I broke and took responsibility for.

Again in my opinion, $160 to replace one strap anchor was too much. I was not expecting anything else. If I had been told what they were going to do from the beginning then I would not have complained about the $160 fee. I do not know why he never mentioned all the extras they do beyond what their warranty states. Maybe because he had volunteered to help out for a week from the field due to the high volume of traffic at this time of year?

I never bashed their customer service or the quality of their product. I stated I was disappointed with the $160 charge for what I believed was a simple repair and from their reputation on their warranty.

....And yes you are correct. If I had waited before the end result then this post would not exist but with a company like Swarovski I do not believe a customer should have to wait. A little clarity would have gone a long way!

15-Sep-17
deerhunter72,

Yeah, maybe I took a little heat on this one. I'm ok with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. From what I have gained over the years from so many knowledgeable bow hunters on this site, the great stories and adventures that have been shared it is ok to spend a little time in the oven. Maybe I was a little premature in my complaint but the clock moves forward.

15-Sep-17
Terrific outcome on many levels. Thanks for sharing

15-Sep-17
25 years ago I dropped my Swarovski binos and sent them back for repair. As you did I told them it was my fault an expected to pay. Didn't hear from them for months so I called the week before hunting season for an update. The Rep was shocked it had not been taken care of and insisted on overnighting a new pair, free. Maybe people like me talked too much and they got taken advantage of , I don't know. Maybe just got lucky. Had a very similar deal with Zeiss a few years ago, no charge but a new pair for damage clearly my fault. Suspect some of it has to do with the contact individual. Glad yours worked out, I feel very fortunate as well for my customer service.

15-Sep-17
Good result but unfortunately the original thread title is a negative that will be floating around on Google searches for years. A lot of folks won't ever read the whole thing or know this thread happened afterwards.

15-Sep-17
Chalk it up as a learning experience. Containing several lessons. I'm glad for both entity's that it worked out so well. God Bless

15-Sep-17
Not surprised at all and why I posted in your original thread that if they do not bring your glass up to "New" standards then I will start worrying about some internal change in policy. Glad this worked out ,that kind of service is very typical.

15-Sep-17
A good man admits to being wrong, I'm glad it turned out well and I'm glad you came here and clesred the air. Good luck to you.

15-Sep-17
I am glad you are happy with the outcome, a few of us thought you might be. ;-)

16-Sep-17
You seem like a reasonable dude! The fact remains the repair shouldn't have been covered order the warranty. $160 seems high for a repair like that but I run a manufacturing plant and it might be low depending on their process. Anyway, my opinion is you weren't happy about the $160 repair bill and took it out on the warranty.... had they told you it was going to cost $50 to $80 I bet you'd never posted the first thread. Glad it turned out great and you're happy!

16-Sep-17
I've had two issues just like rock bass where I sent back for normal wear and tear refurbishing (regarding only a single issue ,like lens pecked up or knob) both repairs were $100 and including a long laundry list of what they did.Way,way more than the single issue.Even looking at the list I had to ask myself if they just didn't replace with a new set?

I use a lot of Zeiss equipment in my office,I could get huge discounts on Zeiss sport optics but choose Swar simply because my discounted Zeiss simply would not hold their value like Swar.I don't say that,the market says that.As been said many times here,buy once,cry once.

18-Sep-17
Nice!

18-Sep-17
I want to like Zeiss and Leica, I've owned both...but imo Swarovski's are just plain nicer.

Glad they treated you well.

18-Sep-17
Good to hear a happy resolution.

18-Sep-17
Yes, it is good to hear a positive outcome on this one. I felt you took some heat you really didn't deserve, but like you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

18-Sep-17
I know plumbing companies, electricians, carpenters, and mechanics who charge $125 an hour. Lawyers charge $350 an hour. Doctors charge unbelievable rates for an hour visit.

Hec, my 2015 diesel truck just told me I need to replace the fuel filter. Called the dealer today - 45 minute repair with parts - $145 dollars.

$160 is nothing for a repair that probably took several hours, as well as parts.

It is 2017, nothing is cheap anymore. Not sure where you have been living....

18-Sep-17
I had the same issue with my SLCs- failed strap loop. .. but mine just let go. Swaro said they would like to go through them $160 max.... ok by me. BTW these are appx 25 yrs old, paid $600 new.

They charged me the $160, and sent me a brand new bino with new serial number.

Swaro warranty is excellent.

19-Sep-17
Grasshopper....what state do you live in where carpenters charge $125 a hour....I`m already packing.... It ALWAYS works out when you are honest about the incident and respectful. Most companies "understate and over achieve" when it comes to customer service.

19-Sep-17
Colorado. come on out. Unemployment is as low as it has ever been, and there is a shortage of skilled contractor labor. residential and commercial building is off the charts.

• Sitka Gear