Medicinemann 03-Oct-17
BOWNBIRDHNTR 03-Oct-17
IKE220 04-Oct-17
Beav 05-Oct-17
WausauDug 05-Oct-17
Korey Wolfe 05-Oct-17
ahunter55 05-Oct-17
16-Sep-17
10 years of points to get a tag. Have a friend good enough to let me hunt his property. Baits been getting slammed daily by multiple bears of multiple sizes. So here goes Day 1 1:00 in stand beautiful day to be fishing 80 degrees and sunny with a nice breeze. Fingers crossed I have a few days and nice to be off work for a weekend finally.

16-Sep-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Seems like the cool kids are doing this pose.
Chris S's embedded Photo
Seems like the cool kids are doing this pose.

16-Sep-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Trail mix from bobs bear bait in Phelps just outside Eagle River with some bacon spray has been a proven winner up here.

16-Sep-17
Wow ten years to draw a tag and I thought that happens only out west of the Mississippi River.

If Ya Gots lots a bear hitting the baits , choose wisely! Ten years is a long wait.

Hope ya get a BIG tasty one.

16-Sep-17
Not a thing moving over 82 degrees. Showers tonight droppingbitbto 65 tomorrow all day should be much better sit. I was sweating butt off at 3 in the direct sun. Diner time and camp fire. Tomorrow's the day!!

17-Sep-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Back in the saddle. Much better weather today 61 sunny with an nice breeze. Thunder storm last night until 8am this morning. Bait wasn't hit over night had a fisher come through this morning. Another long sit today. Should be good day.

17-Sep-17
How long is the season? How long you hunting?

17-Sep-17
LB I have til 10 Oct season just opened for bait sitters this week on 13 Sep. Hunters chasing with dogs opened on 6 Sep. Each year they alternate which goes first. I'm hunting sat sun mon this week then if no kill I'll be back sometime next week for a couple days depending on when I can get off. I live in Chicago about 6 hours away. Archery deer opened this weekend too.

4:30 so far nothing but my resident chipmunk. Pretty hot in the sun I need some shade.

17-Sep-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Thanks GH slow week on cams they'll be back soon. Just never had a bait completely shut off 5 days straight. They'll be back no worries. Just waiting on the big guy specifically anyway. You could set your watch by him last 5 weeks at 6:18. It's been hot I gonna hunt morning and midday tomorrow.

19-Sep-17
Yesterday was a bust too. Ended up leaving early. No hit on bait. Headed home I have a cellular spartan cam on it so I can keep tabs. No hits all night so Im glad I left early. Made momma happy to. I saw a dog hunted down the road the week dog chase opens. So they may have bumped bears OJ as our property borders nat forest. Probably a combine that with the hot weather and bears scattered. I'll keep an eye on the temp and camera. Make a game plan again for a couple days next week. Frusyrated but have plenty of time for it to reset.

19-Sep-17
Hey Chris, do you have access to any beaver castor, or a full beaver? Hang that and it should bring in the Bears. The colder weather should bring them around.

19-Sep-17
Hey Chris, do you have access to any beaver castor, or a full beaver? Hang that and it should bring in the Bears. The colder weather should bring them around.

30-Sep-17
Well I'm back didn't hunt last week bc of that dread thing called.....Work! Plus had a bunch of stuff to do with the kids. Not to mention it was in the upper 80s and bait was still slow. But weather temps dropped and I had a ton of activity last few days only problem is the big guys are coming in late. Little guys and a sow with twins are early hitters. So with some luck and patience I should be alright this weekend. Temps are in the upper 50-60 hitting 70mid day and lows at night dipping under 50. I hope I can connect the season ends next week. Only a month long. 10 years for a tag and it ends up being warmest recorded September. Frustrating.

30-Sep-17
It will happen, keep the faith.

30-Sep-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Beautiful weather had a little guy come in for about 30 minutes don't think he was much more than 70lbs. But nice to see also has a cool little blaze. Then had a another bear at sunset that was about 150ish that refused to leave and would growl when I shined light on him or threw sticks to push him off bait so I could leave. I ended up staying in stand an extra hour til he left. Might regret not just tagging him. He was as hard to judge at sunset has short stubby legs and round body. We see tomorrow

01-Oct-17
Good luck

01-Oct-17
Thanks Shug. Got in stand about 2. Lovely day 65 and breezy. Suns a little bit warm as my stand faces west but as relaxing a day as I've had in a while. Couple little guys on bait last night. Just have tonight and tomorrow left. Season closes in 7 days next Tuesday and I can't get off and have too many family obligations with the kids. Feeling lucky.

01-Oct-17
Fun night had a nice bear in 250 range skirt me down wind in the bush. Sat there 5 minutes sniffing the air and licking his nose. Then just walked off looking like he was going to circle the bait. So 10 minutes later a doe comes down the same trail gets a little nervous she gets about 10 feet from where he was standing and turns inside out in a panic huffing and blowing ran 10 yards starts stomping the ground. I think dang I must stink! A minute later she's off like a rocket and a small bear was walking the trail right behind her. He ended up coming into the bait maybe a hundred pounder. But different bear than last night no white blaze on his chest and smaller than the one I was debating on taking. Anyway he was there for half hour and right at sunset looked back in the bush and took off from the bait. I figured. It was about to show up but nothing. Not sure why he got scared off but tomorrow's my last day. Light rain moving in tonight and cool weather should take it down to the last minute for me!!

02-Oct-17
Well good luck hope you get one, long time til another tag, shoot the first one that shows.

02-Oct-17
In stand at 1 had showers this morning. Nice breeze 68 and sunny calling for clouds but right now is a beautiful day. Throwing the kitchen sink at em tonight lots of bacon spray more apples in mix Carmel sauce skittles lucky charms marshmallows. Basically everything I have left that won't exceed the max of 10 gallons of bait. No point of keeping it in garage if I don't make it back next week. Can't use honey or meat byproducts in wi so I've been doing burns with pancakes syrup and grenadine and gummy worms. Smells pretty dang good like cotton candy better to me than honey burns I've done in Ontario. Figure I'll get that going about 5 as all the bear activity has been starting around 6. Might cover me better. Fingers crossed.

02-Oct-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Bear that would not come in last night came in around 3 am. Would have been a slam dunk with a rifle. Sometime question the sanity of bow hunters? Maybe he commits early tonight.

02-Oct-17
2 small ones on bait quite tempted still have 4 hours gotta pass. Ugh!!!

02-Oct-17
Good luck.

02-Oct-17
Small ones are good eating. This is painful, waiting to hear of success, shoot man shoot! Lol.

02-Oct-17
Small ones are good eating. This is painful, waiting to hear of success, shoot man shoot! Lol.

02-Oct-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Patience paid off at 530 he came in after 20 minutes walking around bait. Bust cleaning story later.

02-Oct-17
Patience paid off at 530 he came in after 20 minutes walking around bait. Bust cleaning story later.

02-Oct-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo

02-Oct-17
That's great . Congrats .

02-Oct-17
Hey congrats, glad you got one after all that time sitting. Looking forward to hearing the stats.

02-Oct-17
Hey congrats, glad you got one after all that time sitting. Looking forward to hearing the stats.

02-Oct-17
Excellent job and great bear congrats!

03-Oct-17
Congrats, enjoyed following!

03-Oct-17
Congrats. Way to stick with it.

03-Oct-17
Looks like a nice rug, or a nice mount.

03-Oct-17
Very Nice! Congratulations!!!

03-Oct-17
Congratulations

03-Oct-17
Way to wait him out....Congrats!!!

Mark

03-Oct-17

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Wow what an adventure. About 230 I had a set of yearling twins come in for a while probably not even a hundred pounds. After they left I began thinking about the 150 ponder that I passed first night. About 530 I looked over my shoulder and there he was in the bush but did not commit to the bait I drew back but did not want to force the shot he hung out there for seven minutes just behind some brush. Eventually he walked back into the bush and I could see him do a half moon around the perimeter of the bait in the bushes. Now it just became a game of patients I could not see him but I had an idea where he was on location I could see a little bit of black movement through the bush. About 15 minutes later he began down a path directly to the bay what was nice is there was a large tree between us so every time he began to look up I shifted my body where I could not see him behind the tree. The old if I can't see you/you can't see me trick. Took forever for him to get to the bait and commit. What I've learned over the years is they are there bc they know there is food and most of them know you are there. Patientece pays off once they commit they feel safe and begin to let there guard down as they eat. I watched him feed another 3 minutes and drew when his head was down. I stayed seated got my anchor put my nose to the string and waited a minute. He looked up and crouched back. I put my 20 pin low but a bit tight to the shoulder crease and released shaking like a leaf. Hit was about 3 inches higher than I wanted at 12 yards. Grave digger blasted down trough shoulders and into chest he dropped on the bait. Couple of flops and crawled about 50 feet into the brush . I sent another arrow at 20 yards but hit bushes in front of him. Got down right away and gave a double lung hit just as he gave death moan. Probably not needed but was insurance and didn't want him to suffer. Dead in about 90 seconds. From time he first came to bait until I shot was 45 minutes. Patience is key to success for these bears. Ended up being an old dry sow which shocked me even fooled the taxidermist when I dropped her off. Big head thick neck and shoulders very pretty long shiny coat and spectacular black muzzle. By far the prettiest bear I've had the fortune to take. Put on scale at taxidermist and of course the line broke as it was hitting 200 while shoulders still on ground and messedup calibration. Honest opinion about 260 the taxi say he thought 270. So instead of using average in the middle I'll take his opinion. He's the professional!!!

03-Oct-17
It is a great bear, how are you having it mounted?

03-Oct-17
Congratulations.

03-Oct-17
Patience and persistence are frequently rewarded. Well done!!

03-Oct-17
Nice job, congrats!

04-Oct-17
Congrats, Nice bear. Thanks for sharing.

05-Oct-17
Congrats on a well earned bear! Way to stick it out.

05-Oct-17
wow great story, way to hang in there till the end and get it done. Its been a tough season w/ the warm weather.

05-Oct-17
Down to the wire for sure...the way it should be!

05-Oct-17
awesome, congratulations & thanks for the story.

• Sitka Gear