Mark Watkins 10-Oct-17
Scar Finga 10-Oct-17
Scar Finga 12-Oct-17
sitO 13-Oct-17
drycreek 13-Oct-17
Scrappy 19-Oct-17
drycreek 19-Oct-17
18-Sep-17
OK, wanted to document the season just for the fun of it.

Started the KS season off last week hunting Tuesday and Thursday morning, before work. Waited on almost legal shooting time to hang my LW stand and 3 sticks as I had not done so since hunting in Canada this past May. Sorry, but I only tie off before stepping from the top stick onto the stand, which I just started doing last year. Previous to my shingles outbreak which caused some hearing loss in my right ear, my balance had me over-confident and I would only harness-up after being on the stand. I am taking the advice here to heart.

On Tuesday I saw 9 deer, all antlerless, nothing closer than 30 yards. Too much brush for an ethical shot. On Thursday, only saw 1 deer, a 3 year old 130ish 10 pointer. Too early for that, but was close enough. Also had 5 toms strut in front of me for 20 minutes, vying for dominance. One hen went by later, all by herself which was unusual.

This place is in zone 19 in KS, high population-called the urban zone. This is my 18th year hunting there. I will not be able to hunt as much this year due to new responsibilities at work. Thursday's stand went up in the dark, and I was not any slower than last year. At 58, I am happy with that. I have to take my stand up and down with each hunt, but would do it anyway so the deer do not pattern me.

18-Sep-17
Hunted my MO farm Friday evening, Saturday morning and evening. It was extremely hot and dry on the farm, also a little breezy. Deer are not using the plots, but hammering the mast in both persimmons and acorns. No shot opportunities.

Stan, my bear hunting friend came from IL to hunt and help with some minor hunting preparations for the rest of the season. We had .2" of rain as we were leaving Sunday, and it is supposed to rain more there today. Deer numbers are not high typically during the early season as I am mostly upland. The deer will use the lowlands adjacent to the crops along the nearby creek during the hot dry periods.

Will try and update this at least weekly.

18-Sep-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Thought I should post the "boot shot" from Tuesday. LOL.

18-Sep-17

Going out tomorrow. I have been a little behind. Just received my new straps and replaced all of them on my sticks and stand. I do this annually and the cables every two years.

18-Sep-17
Good luck hope u get some meat in the freezer.

19-Sep-17
Thank you Alexis, appreciate the good thoughts!

Coming to you semi-live this AM. Don't expect to see anything. At least 70 out with dense fog. The high humidity means there is not a dry spot on me after hanging my stand.

Near the river where mast is falling. Can hear it in the dark. Did not hear any deer blow as I was coming in. We will see.

19-Sep-17

A bachelor group of four bucks, the two biggest in the creek tickling antlers.

19-Sep-17

19-Sep-17
You replace your straps that often!? Wow! Mine are original from 10 years ago. I probably need to look into replacements. I'm seeing some fraying for sure. Good luck this year!

19-Sep-17
Thanks.12 yards, I hang quite a few times each year, so they get abused. I read it here once that it is a good idea to do it yearly. It may be over kill but it brings peace of mind. Thanks again.

8 anterless just crossed the river to my side. I am on the wrong trail.

19-Sep-17
Big doe down!

The others are standing around blowing. The bucks crossed over to see what was going on. They were led by last Thursday's 10 pointer. Still too early.

19-Sep-17

Ugly mug, but beautiful bow. Assuming the doe is down where I saw her fall, this is the first kill with this bow.

19-Sep-17
Congratulations! Meat is Meat is Meat... Yummy:)

19-Sep-17

Thanks.

Thank you Lord!

40 yards max from stand.

19-Sep-17

On the way to the processor.

19-Sep-17
Cool!!

19-Sep-17
Question about your climbing sticks. How many sections do you carry and how heavy are they? How high up do you get with them? Brand? Edit - read you carry 3 sections (saw that on the first read, but slipped my mind). Still interested in the other questions.

19-Sep-17
Thanks 12 yards.

Bigfoot, I will use 4 in the late season due to lack of cover, but reading the thread with cutting branches and creating a "nest" I think I will stay with 3 from now on. Getting older, and taking less risks I guess!

I do use Lone Wolf sticks. The stand is actually an Extreme Outdoors Products which is a perfect knock-off of the Lone Wolf. My understanding is EAP's owner was previously at LW, but I am not 100% certain of that. I have 2 LW's at the farm, but the seat on this is so much better, and after back surgery 2 years ago I do try and use things that are gentler on my lower lumbar. Getting to be a wimp also I guess, LOL.

My height with three is about 13' but I do not spread them more than the step distance already set on each stick, and my stand is at the exact height of the top step so I am not putting excessive pressure loading it when I step onto the stand.

Regarding the weight, I am not sure actually, but they are mostly aluminum, like the stand. It really is very light. Again, I am 58 and if I can do it anybody can. Hope that answers everything.

Best wishes to you!

19-Sep-17
Nice job Frank...solid hunting,,

20-Sep-17
Good job Frank. Our season opens the 30th. I'm hoping for some cooler weather for it as it's in the 90s here afternoons and the humidity is through the roof ! Can't get in the game when it's that hot.

20-Sep-17
Thanks Savage and drycreek.

I am not going out tomorrow because it is expected to hit 90. A cool front comes next Tuesday, supposedly. Good luck this season.

20-Sep-17
Good deal. Way to go, love me some fresh backstrap! And read like it was a heck of a morning on stand even without the harvest!

20-Sep-17
Well, actually I have to fess up. A week or so ago we had a few days of mornings in the high fifties, and I just had to go and sit one morning. Due to shoulder problems last year, I never pointed an arrow at anything, so I'm beyond ready. Long story short, had a pig encounter and my heart went to beating like it hasn't in years ! I skipped an arrow off his back and it went into orbit ! I think I peaked..........

20-Sep-17
Congrats on your doe, Frank!

You are correct that XOP is run by the former owner of Lone Wolf. Where do you get your replacement straps?

20-Sep-17
I hope I don't have a shot go bad, but will tell it like it happens. Thanks for the honesty!

T-roy, I just order them from LW each time. Kind of expensive at $10 each.

20-Sep-17
Stick, yes it was a fantastic morning. The worst part was the high humidity and wearing glasses, but fortunately the deer did not show up until after I cooled down. I considered it a successful morning before I picked up my bow in reaction to one of the does just walking over unexpectedly. Thanks.

21-Sep-17
Just saw this Frank, good stuff...keep knocking them down!

24-Sep-17
Went to the farm Saturday morning because I had a load of rock delivered. I sat in my new Maverick blind used for turkey hunting. It sits on the edge of timber adjacent to my clover field. Turkeys were within 50 yards in the timber eating acorns. Saw 1 forkie, and then left as it was very, very warm.

I put up one of my extra LWs at our home. You might have seen the coyote pictures on my Micro Habitat thread. Maybe I will get lucky. I did put a safety line up as I intend to leave it up all season.

24-Sep-17
Frank. Opening this again I noticed you wearing that old school Walmart camo. I wish I could still get that ! I have a few shirts, but they're getting kinda raggedy.....

24-Sep-17
Nice Job on the Doe! Here in Indiana waiting on Oct 1st but that's OK because its been HOT the last week. Looks like we got cooler temps coming though. Until then I'll live vicariously through you fellas who are out getting it done.

24-Sep-17
Nimrod, it has been record setting hot here!

Drycreek, still use those old shirts. I don't think the deer mind, lol.

26-Sep-17
Semi-live Tuesday morning. Back in KS. Hung in a very steady rain. All wet before legal shooting time. Don't mind since it is only 66 out! A deer was on the path I was walking in on. Did not want to get out of their bed. Did not blow. I am only 40 yards where that occurred. Rain is expected to end at 8.

26-Sep-17
Rained very hard! Slowing down now. Nothing moving yet, no surprise. Could not have seen it anyway!

26-Sep-17
A doe and fawn walked by at 40. No visible spots.

26-Sep-17
Back on the ground. Thoroughly soaked. Headed home to dry everything out.

26-Sep-17
On the way out observed 7 more deer, all out in the open. Rain had quit but wind picked up and the leaves we're dropping water like crazy. I think the deer were trying to dry off.

Also found a fresh rub that is in the same spot every year. First one.

29-Sep-17

Stan came again, getting in stand early afternoon. Took this mature doe from a tripod nestled against the woods adjacent to the clover on my farm. 15 yard shot, 40 yard recovery. I made it in time to help drag it out of the edge thick stuff, and take pictures.

No better feeling when a good friend who helped work your land takes a deer!

30-Sep-17

49 degrees when I hung the stand this AM. Slow so far, one raccoon and heard some turkeys off a ways and that is it. Mast every where, so they are not moving much.

03-Oct-17
Tuesday morning. Back in KS. Hung in one of my favorite trees. At least a dozen deer, three coyotes, and one bobcat came from this location through the years. Perfect for a southern wind, which was the forecast. Turning already to the SE which makes this less of an ideal choice. Saw one deer and a raccoon on the way in. Supposed to turn colder and rain tomorrow.

03-Oct-17

A rub right in front of my stand. Squirrels every where. I am in a steep draw that faces E-W. I am about 1/3 of the way down just off a bench that is a travel lane. Mast falling all around.

03-Oct-17

Another rub on the other side of my stand. I have observed big bucks take does into this area during the rut, but have only taken does from this stand. I will hang again here in November.

03-Oct-17
Two more raccoons and that is it so far. Will hang a little longer but it looks like I called this wrong.

03-Oct-17

Spike right under the stand.

03-Oct-17
Second spike feeding nearby.

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
Keep it coming Frank!

07-Oct-17
Thanks Steve.

Hunted MO farm today. Saw zilch. Only hunted the afternoon in a ground blind due to 15-20 mph winds. Calmed down considerably after dark so I will hang a stand in the morning.

09-Oct-17
Did not hunt Sunday after all. Just did not feel it. Spent half the day doing chores I had put off, and by then it was dry enough to broadcast the rye into the yellowed beans.

10-Oct-17
Wow!

I am hanging my stand in the dark. I estimate no more than 30 yards away a vicious attack erupts. Loud, deep snarling and biting, sounds like a larger body hits the ground and is rolling around with biting occurring on top.

I already hung my stand and was on the ground putting my safety vest on. It was completely dark but I loaded an arrow. Really got my pulse elevated! I will check it out when I get down.

10-Oct-17
Cold front with rain moved through last night. Gusty, swirling winds. No movement yet.

10-Oct-17
Keep it rolling Frank! So..what was the snarling/biting? coons?

Mark

10-Oct-17

Not sure yet Mark. Still in a tree. This just came by at 12 yards.

10-Oct-17
Very Coool, keep it coming... And Good Luck!

10-Oct-17
Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. I thought I was going to have some action. Saw 5 more deer, anterless and a flock of hen turkeys and then 6 toms came by. No go on any of it, distance and/or brush.

Could find no trace of what made the noise. The volume would have suggested a bigger animal than coon, but I am not sure. Made it a fun morning. Probably the quickest I have climbed into stand in awhile, lol.

12-Oct-17
Just climbed in. Location adjusted for my observations on Tuesday. Wind slightly different than forecast. Hope it is not a problem.

12-Oct-17

Small doe down 15 yards from stand.

12-Oct-17
GOOOOOOD EATIN RIGHT THERE!!!

12-Oct-17
It will be for sure.

I let my bow down, and start to hear grunting. 6 does/fawns run right under the stand just missing my bow. Never saw the buck.

13-Oct-17
Back at the farm Friday evening. Stan is here.

This is nuts...hung a stand at 5pm and it is 85 degrees out. Supposed to be a cold wet front move through tomorrow with a high of 59 on Sunday.

13-Oct-17

Stan made another perfect shot.

13-Oct-17
Good work Stan, congrats on a nice buck...and good job on the doe Frank...keep it comin!

13-Oct-17

Thanks Kyle.

13-Oct-17
The killing just never stops ! LOL. Good thread Frank. Good to see some venison hitting the ground. All I've stuck so far are stinking hogs. They are killing me here !

14-Oct-17
Thank you.

Back in stand Saturday morning. Spitting rain, windy.

Stan stayed in bed. Very happy. Took that nice buck out of the same stand he did the doe. They are really using the clover.

I hung in thick timber. Bean and corn cutting is in full gear so I hope that will help push them to me.

I saw no deer yesterday but had turkey fly up to roost within 100 yards.

Could not be more excited for Stan. He is proof good things happen to good people.

14-Oct-17
Nothing seen in the AM.

Hung in another location for evening. Turks we're coming to roost when the sky's opened with heavy rain and severe lightening an hour before end time.

17-Oct-17
Tuesday morning. 45 degrees. Already observed 10 deer.

5 does with a shooter in tow coming right to me. Coyotes changed their course. Here comes a lone doe.

17-Oct-17
I have seen over 20 deer so far. Young bucks are checking the bedding areas out and does are running crazy.

17-Oct-17
Out, nothing but immense fun today.

19-Oct-17
Thursday morning. Just finished hanging and climbed in. Not really happy with my location but given wind direction and wanting to move each hunt to keep it fresh my options are limited.

19-Oct-17
Lone doe before legal shooting time.

19-Oct-17
October lull? Bad choice in location?

About ready to pull my stand. Only saw the one. Not very successful today.

19-Oct-17
Have to have a bad day every now and then. Keep at it, love following along.

I also only hang and hunt. Got to love It when a plan comes together. Gonna be hunting a brand new spot in the morning. Good luck

19-Oct-17
Thank you Scrappy. Good luck on your new spot tomorrow. Stan and I will be back at the farm for the weekend. He is hoping to connect with a turkey now.

19-Oct-17
I had one of those mornings today. Sat from 30 minutes before daylight until 10:30. Total: one red shouldered hawk and two mourning doves. Not even a stinkin hog ! The wind was flipping until about 9:00 though, so I imagine that was the deal breaker.

19-Oct-17
Are the hogs better eating than the venison? There are some hogs in MO, but none in my area.

21-Oct-17
Neither Stan or I saw anything Friday evening. Very windy, and still the same Saturday morning. Good sign but I think the deer, and squirrels, are laying low. Heard several coyotes as we left the cabin to go get in stand. Still beats working!

22-Oct-17
Stayed windy and hot all day. Saw zilch. Cold front moved in over night and brought a much needed 2.2" of rain.

The rye grain broadcasted into the beans germinated with the rain last weekend. This rain should keep it going and provide a great winter food source.

• Sitka Gear