ChasingFAHL 27-Sep-17
DMC65 04-Oct-17
nvgoat 04-Oct-17
nvgoat 04-Oct-17
Tracker 04-Oct-17
Spiral Horn 04-Oct-17
19-Sep-17
Hey everyone,

Im in search of merino base layers. I have used core4 element and didn't care for them since they made me itch. I really liked the kuiu that I had and I currently have a sitka top that Eastmans Hunting gave me for subscribing to them which is pretty nice. Im in the market for a pair of bottoms and was wondering what everyone suggested. They will be used for whitetails and duck hunting mostly with some western game mixed in as well.

Thanks!

19-Sep-17
Smartwool

19-Sep-17
Ibex

19-Sep-17
What weight would be a good all around use?

19-Sep-17
190-240

19-Sep-17
190-240

19-Sep-17
First lite Llano is the best Ive tried and most comfortable

19-Sep-17
I just ordered some First Light last night. They are having a sale right now...

19-Sep-17
Icebreaker, first lite, and smartwool, find one on sale and enjoy.

19-Sep-17
Kuiu

19-Sep-17
For pants, I like the KUIU zipoffs. It is super convenient when you get hot and need to take them off without removing pants, boots, etc. The 145s work well for me for elk hunting and early-mid season whitetail hunting.

For cold weather whitetail hunting, I use a heavier smartwool product.

19-Sep-17
Tried most of them. I like First Lite the best. It's the softest and most comfortable of the brands I've tried.

19-Sep-17
I've tried a bunch and First Lite and Smartwool are my favorites. I did not like my Core4 wool at all. It stunk so bad when it got wet I could hardly stand it and it was not nearly as comfortable.

19-Sep-17
190-240

19-Sep-17
First Lite has worked well for me.

19-Sep-17
I prefer First Lite.

19-Sep-17
KUIU no complaints.

19-Sep-17
I have most of them, I still like smartwool best

19-Sep-17
First light fell apart on me, took it on a Mt Caribou hunt and it really let me down. Since I've switched to Kryptec, it's holding up well!

19-Sep-17
I absolutely love First Lite. That said, Kuiu's beanie and gloves were amazing on Kodiak this August in the rain and (slight) cold.

19-Sep-17
I like Icebreaker cause it's comfy and they often have great sale prices.

19-Sep-17
Woolpower aka Ullfrotte from Sweden.

19-Sep-17
I like the KUIU tops and bottoms. Still wearing the original 185's I got when they first came out as well as a few new pair. As for bottoms... The KUIU Zip off bottoms are really nice and east to take off/put on..

Havent tried any other brands of merino to compare against tho.

20-Sep-17
I don't have any of their bottoms, but I have 5 First Lite merino shirts and they are frigging awesome! Have a couple of the Core4Element merino shirts and I actually like the camo on them better but they aren't near as nice of fitting or feeling.

20-Sep-17
I prefer Kuiu or Smart Wool w/ First Lite next and Kryptek after that (sleeves too long).

20-Sep-17
Thanks everyone. After researching it a bit more I think Im going with the Smartwool NTS.

20-Sep-17
First Lite

20-Sep-17
No question about it, for me it's FirstLite.

20-Sep-17
I went with Smartwool NTS and got a great deal from sportsmans warehouse. Thanks everyone!

26-Sep-17
First lite for me.

27-Sep-17
Ive only used icebreaker, and its pretty comfortable. Would like to get some first lite to try out.

27-Sep-17
I have used the same pair of Smartwool tops and bottoms since 2006. Worn pretty regularly and except for a few minor tears they are like new.

27-Sep-17
I have a Smartwool top that wasn't designed specifically for hunting, but was on sale for a steal, and it's been awesome.

Check out Sierra Trading Post for sales on Smartwool. It's a base layer so, for the most part, camo is not really a priority.

27-Sep-17
I got my smartwool from Sierra Trading Post too. It arrived yesterday and it is by far the softest merino i have found yet!

04-Oct-17
Take a look a t a product called coldpruf. Merino wool base layer tops and bottoms. I live in the north and work outdoors so staying warm , and dry, is imperative in the cold months. Wore duofold long johns , tops and bottoms, and was the best stuff ever. After legitimately 15 yrs of wear they finally started to wear out. I couldn't find them anywhere and after some online research found out they sold out to another company and aren't what they once were. I was at a local sporting goods store last winter and found the coldpruf display and checked it out. Looks to me like they have the old duofold patent or are copying it perfectly because everything about it is the same. I bought a set , top and bottom , for less than $50 and wore them ice fishing the next morning. Happy, happy, happy! Went back and bought a set for my wife , who is cold when it gets below 60, and she loves em too. I picked up two more sets for myself and a set for a friend and also his wife who hunt coues deer in the sky islands of southeast Arizona . Gets bone chilling cold there in winter. They love em too! Check em out, all as good as what the big name stuff is at less than half the cost. Made in U. S. A. Too!!! Hope ya see this post i think you'll like em too.

04-Oct-17
Love my First Lite merino. Second the support for Kuiu zipoff bottoms. Can see some occasions where they will be very useful. Anything by Icebreaker or Montbell is also good.

04-Oct-17
No experience with the Coldpruf described above but great prices on Amazon

04-Oct-17
Ibex or smart wool for me.

04-Oct-17
Owned Kuiu, Smartwool, Ibex, Icebreaker, and Woolpower. None are junk, and all are a bit unique in weave and fit. Which set I'll reach for really depends on the activity. Smartwool and Woolpower are probably the most comfortable against the skin - what I'll be wearing if sitting a lot. For high exertion -- Ibex or Kuiu -- wore mostly Kuiu on a recent sheep hunt as i found it works well in varied conditions, durable, and dries fast. Ice Breaker doesn't fit me as well but it's weave is very warm.

Since you mentioned finding Smartwool for sale on Sierra Trading Post -- be content. Great product at a great price - you'll be happy.

• Sitka Gear