Grunter 23-Sep-17
t-roy 23-Sep-17
keepemsharp 23-Sep-17
Tradmike 23-Sep-17
writer 23-Sep-17
Arrowhead 23-Sep-17
jingalls 23-Sep-17
22-Sep-17
Anybody dealt with companies like Mossy Oak Properties or Whitetail Properties? Mainly asking from the sellers perspective.

22-Sep-17
I inquired on a property once listed through Whitetail Properties. Perhaps is was just this particular listing agent, but it was like pulling teeth to get any additional information on the land from him. "It's all listed on the web site" was his response to most of my questions.

22-Sep-17
^^ Pat - you can't hate a guy for shooting his shot. *of course* he needs to hunt the land before he can really get a feel before selling it........ lol.

22-Sep-17
I have a 300 acres piece in Kansas, I talked to Whitetail Properties, the agent said, :Yes we should be able to get $4000-$4200 an acres:. So I listed it with them, after a couple months, my agent said if you really want to sell it, you should be more in the $2300- $2500 range. They just want to get it listed then just sell it cheaper to get their 6%. Or I've heard they want to film a deer or turkey on your place to help it sell, BS they just want a good free hunt ! On the other hand, I was trying to buy a piece in western Kansas listed by Whitetail Properties, that agent said I have a nice hunting piece that's going to be listed soon. I was told as soon as it is listed I would get a call, well it was listed and sold in 4 days ! I never got a call ! That was an inside deal or something very shady. I would stay away from Whitetail Properties at all costs!

22-Sep-17
I had one ( WTP) contact me about property I owned. He got my contact info off the DEP because they had it listed as a potential acquisition. He gave me a quotes that were close to 40% higher then any comps I could find in a resonable distance. I asked him to furnish the comps that lead him to believe I should list at that price. I never got them or a response. I did however complete the sale with the DEP...at more than fair market price for the land. From everything I seen about these services I would stay away as both a buyer or seller.

22-Sep-17
I listed my place with WP, mainly because I thought wealthy people (like Pat) would look there first. I priced the place, not them. Only three looks in a year. I then listed it with a local realtor, and it's on Lands of Texas, which shows up all over the internet, but zero looks in four months now. Maybe I'm too high ? Regardless, I wouldn't list with WP again.

22-Sep-17
Looking for duck land last year and the MOP guy was nice enough to say that he had some really good duck land listings but some other guys were in front of me and would take my number....lol.He lives about 2 hours away,so didn't know me from Adam's house cat.Way,way,over priced...it's thier MO

22-Sep-17
So I usually don't post in threads much, but felt like I needed comment on this subject. I want to first start off by saying that I personally work for Whitetail Properties as a field agent assistant for the team in Southern Kansas. Man, from the sounds of it, not many people are too happy with their experience that they have had with us and I feel like I need to apologize for that. I know a there will be times we can't make everyone happy, but I feel like we have made and continue to make clients happy with our work. I do want to clarify or at least put a few things out there from my viewpoint.

Longspeak- I know here in Kansas we would try and get you as much information as we possibly could. I can't speak for every agent, but we try and do our best with buyers and sellers alike. That sucks that you didn't get a good experience from whoever you tried to deal with.

Pat- I personally know who you are although we have never met. I worked on the Box Ranch for a couple years while working with the Woolfolks and they are still very close friends of mine. If you heard that we try and hunt properties from the fella you still hunt with in Kansas, I'm not sure he is too keen on us personally either because we hunted properties next to each other and have shot great deer or what, but I can tell you that is just plain wrong. The guys I work for do hunt a few clients properties that they have become really great friends with over the years and have sold and bought multiple properties with together while fixing up to hunt as well. We have no use to hunt our client's farms and will never cross that professional line. I'm also sorry that you had a poor experience with agents as well. If you were ever to look out that way where you hunt now I can assure you we would treat you well.

Ruger- I'm not sure who you listed your property with or spoke with here in Kansas, but we personally would never tell you to list it at a price that we didn't think you could get for it. Also, like I said before we do not want to hunt our client's properties what-so-ever or would we ever film on one. Lastly, as far as Western KS goes, many of those properties do get sold extremely fast before they even hit the market. In our territory alone, we have sold around 45 farms and only about half hit the website. I am not trying to make excuses why you weren't contacted because that isn't fair, but I just wanted to let you know.

I could go on and on with each case, but I just hate to see so much negativity in this crowd. I personally am young at 24 and this type of job fits perfect with the passion and enthusiasm that I try and express every day. I get to work and meet many new people from around the country and view farms around Kansas that are some of the best hunting in the state. I take great pride in helping people out and making them happy and I know the guys I work for try their best to do it as well. I don't mean for this to sound like a sales pitch, or pity party, or whatever you may think, but I wanted to share my side of the story from my viewpoint as well. If you have any other concerns or whatever feel free to ask and I can try and help out the best I can.

22-Sep-17
Put up a couple stands get some trail cam pics and put intensely managed for trophy bucks in the add and sell yourself or through local realtor

22-Sep-17
Another option is to split into 40 or 80 and raise the price per acre alittle and sell that way

22-Sep-17
Pat- No problem. I can't speak for everyone in our company and many of our top agents that have been selling land for years now are top notch guys, but I sure know there will always be those few guys that ruin it for everyone else. Hope you have another great hunt with those guys down there, always look forward to following the thread.

22-Sep-17
I study Kansas land every day! Mop and wtp ask more per acre . From a seller standpoint might be a good thing from a buyer standpoint I have never got to make a deal with them because of it

22-Sep-17
Regardless of what is said, they seem to get the seller more than a place is worth. My neighbor sold his on Whitetail Properties and made a $50k profit after only 2 years of ownership. Made my land increase in value $44k

23-Sep-17
I believe we have a member/sponsor on this site that specializes in hunting properties? Blayne St. James (The Saint) seems good folks, met him at the Bowsite greeting in AZ. St James Sporting Properties I believe. I don't know what part of the country he works with, but I'd much prefer dealing with someone I knew. And he KNOWS bowhunting as well.

23-Sep-17
We have had very good success with the Landguys for Illinois hunting ground. Topnotch in advertising, communication, and professionalism

23-Sep-17
We have had very good success with the Landguys for Illinois hunting ground. Topnotch in advertising, communication, and professionalism

23-Sep-17
I have sold two properties ( KY and KS) and bought one prop ( IL) through WP. I believe they are the best company bar none to sell a property with, they have the best network and marketing for hunting properties out there. My KS prop, I listed originally with a local agency, a year later I pulled it from them and gave it to WP. It was sold a month later for what I was listing it for with the other agent. Agent was great to work with and I thought he did a professional job. Anything advertised costs more that's just the way it is. To properly sell a hunting property, they do emails, send cards, put in books, online with videos, and these folks do a ton of work to show a place. My guy had to show it to 30 potential buyers in KS, think about all those expenses driving to a remote patch of woods.

My KY property was a different agent and he was very good, it was a more complex sale with a tough buyer and his agent was a pain in the ass. This same WP agent sold me one of my IL prop about a year ago and with the improvements I made and his help, it's value has gone up considerably. He has also helped me with work on the farm where I didn't have access to equipment etc. not once has he ever asked to hunt my land and anytime I need help, he is there. I consider him my friend and someone who I know would have my back. This guy is extremely experienced in habitat management as well, so he and I talk frequently about land improvements and the best way to achieve those goals.

Now, with all that said, the buyer needs to do their homework! Land watch is extremely helpful to keep an eye on land prices and deals are to be had only at auctions or banging on doors and talking to locals. WP initially can be overpriced but that's true for most listings by any realtor. The sellers all think their place is paradise and they have crazy expectations. Agents want the listing, and eventually after six months you will see an adjustment.

When I sell my IL farms, there's no question who I will use, WP. I will get top dollar, they will sell far quicker with their network and advertising, and with less hassle. These guys know the local market and local realtors have No Clue how to sell a hunting property!

For the record, I don't work for WP and never will, these are my experiences and I have been extremely fortunate to meet the right people at the right time. But, I have put a ton of my own time researching and doing my homework to learn where the deals are and how to invest wisely. As I tell my agent, if the price is right I will sell tomorrow. These are investments first and hunting places second. I don't have emotional attachments and If you want to make money or find deals while working with any agent, this is how you need to approach buying or selling a hunting property.

Good luck

23-Sep-17
Around here almost all the WP land is listed significantly higher than anything I knew the price of when it sold. Do they get what they want for it? In most cases I haven't done the work to figure it out. It seems that most of the listed properties have owners that aren't too concerned about selling and let the property sit for long periods of time trying to find the sucker that might be willing to pay the asking price. I guess it's their land to sell, thus their right to do so. Mostly market inflators if you ask me.

Having said that, I kicked the tires on one property that didn't appear to be listed at a ridiculous price like most. I'm scared, because I feel like I'm missing the reason that it isn't outrageously priced.

23-Sep-17
Frazen, if you want an unbiased opinion, pm me and I can look at it and tell you why. A few reasons might be it was logged already, floods regularly, has poor access, doesn't have tillable or crp earnings, has bad neighbors, has old wells, etc.

23-Sep-17
Over price properties and the guys/agents use it as thier own land to hunt. They think if they show you pictures of a big buck or two and a few rubs on the property your going to whip out the check book and pay asking price. If you want to save some money buy through a real real estate broker who wants to sell the listing, I think these guys with WTP want to have the property to hunt free.

23-Sep-17
Thanks for the offer, but I'll dig as deep as needed if I get serious about it. I know answers to most of those things already just looking on my computer, plus the property is only 20 miles from where I live. The one thing I don't have a great feel for is the neighbors, but like I said, if I were to get more serious I'd do some more digging.

23-Sep-17
From what I've seen in Wisconsin, their asking prices are ridiculous. Asking prices are way too much. Just for that reason I would never deal with them

23-Sep-17
I’ve never dealt with either WP or MOP. I have a friend that has purchased and sold several properties through a WP agent. He has had good results with him. Seems to me that they list their properties pretty high, but so what! You can always say NO or make a counter offer. Plus, if I’m selling, I’m wanting to get top dollar, if possible.

Also, I don’t blame the agent for asking to hunt the property. Again, all you have to do is say NO. I don’t see a lot of difference between that, and Joe Schmoe knocking on doors trying to find a place to hunt.

23-Sep-17
If you REALLY want to save some money don't use any agent. You and the owner go to the local abstractor, draw up a contract for a few hundred dollars and write the check. Voice of experience here.

23-Sep-17
I have had good success selling thru WTP specifically with Rich Baugh. Also excellent success with Jim Sullivan Reality and Cal Bergsma. They work mostly in Illinois.

23-Sep-17
On the other side of that coin, Dave. A lot of great advice.

23-Sep-17
Wow! Is it crazy or what, that I'm meeting with a WTP agent this coming Monday to look at a track of land and I run across this post. Could be a warning sign or not. I'm just like a lot of land owners that will sit on a price because they have no need to sell. (I have no need to buy unless it's a killer deal) I guess I will learn first hand how this will work. I do know that the agent told me that he Turkey hunted the property over the phone. I have no problem with that if he had the land owners permission. The property has been on the market for some time and the acreage has been listed at three different numbers. The price has been reduced over 10,000 dollars and I will try to get it cheaper than that if I decide to purchase it. The property is not worth the price in my book. (No Mineral rights) If anyone has any advice for me I'm listening. Thanks in advance.

23-Sep-17
I have a half section of ground in KS I'd let go, mineral rights with active oil well go with it. Just PM me.

• Sitka Gear