Franzen 23-Sep-17
stick n string 23-Sep-17
APauls 23-Sep-17
Bowriter 23-Sep-17
Bowriter 23-Sep-17
23-Sep-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Number 63, about to start. Sixty-three years ago, I started deer hunting. In about, 90-minutes, I shall be up a tree, starting deer season #63. It is hot, too hot, hot enough to preclude afternoon hunting, at least for me. But a couple hours, early this morning should be bearable and I shall participate. I can be up a tree within maybe 15-minutes of leaving the house. Ten of that will be in driving a winding road. Deer movement? I have no idea. But I feel my three-crow murder will be around, deviling an owl or something. Herk the Twerk will be gathering hickory nuts. Perhaps Slovenly, the groundhog will be at his den by the big log. I have a new, resident armadillo. He is on borrowed time and maybe the oft reported cougar will make an appearance. Hopefully, he will be black, (can I say that without offending anyone?). Just at dawn, my favorite time of the day, the woods come to life. And it is a great time for me and God to have a conversation. Prolly be home by 8:30. Today is my grandson's birthday. Some sort of big party, planned. I better be there. Y'all stay safe and remember, It is the hunt, not the kill, that matters.

23-Sep-17
Well said and good luck from Montana . Just heard our first bugle of the morning! Hunt

23-Sep-17
Well said sir and many more hunts to you..GL from ct

23-Sep-17
We look forward to the opportunity every year as well. Only 40 openers so far but hope to catch up to you. Best regards

23-Sep-17
National Hunting and Fishing Day is a good day to be out. Good luck John!

23-Sep-17
Good luck ..

23-Sep-17
Crossgun bolt? Shawn

23-Sep-17
Whether its a bolt or not, the thread isn't about that. Give it a rest. Good luck with your 63rd. I'm just a pup at 21 consecutive seasons under my belt, but Lord willing I have many, many left. Definitely about the hunt for me.

Oh yeah, those darn birthday parties have a way of mussin' things up. Son's first will be on the second full weekend of archery.

23-Sep-17
Well said. Another bowsiter and i were exchanging texts this week, the short of it being that we are so very blessed by God to not only get to experience His nature while hunting, but just to KNOW it exists when so many in this world don't have a hint of whats out there for them to enjoy. Your words are a great reminder.

I am just about to load my two daughters up and head to check out our private ground to see whats going on with deer sign and acorn abundance and then to check out a new piece of public ground i've never hunted. All along, my head has been racing to make sure i have everything i need to do "covered". Now, i will go about the things i wanted to do, only with my focus on enjoying the outdoors with my two doe fawns instead of getting that list of things checked off.... Thanks, and good luck to you. I hope there is fresh backstrap for the party....

23-Sep-17
Good luck sir!

23-Sep-17

I won't shoot these but this was taken less than 150-yards from my tree. I have the deer.
I won't shoot these but this was taken less than 150-yards from my tree. I have the deer.
I hunted from the same as opening day last year. Saw the same thing-three crows and one squirrel. I was wringing wet just walking the 200-yards out to the truck. But not at all discouraged. Last year, as it is this year, nighttime lows were in the low 70's, daytime highs well over 90. I did not hunt for three days. On the fourth,it rained-big time. On the fifth, from the same tree, I started filling the freezer. I have deer. And, I had a great sunrise and good talk with God.

23-Sep-17
And...at 3:00 this afternoon, thermo thingie on the patio read 96. I am not going again until it either rains or cools off. I have over 100-days left to go. I figure some of them will be cooler.

• Sitka Gear