Boundless 10-Oct-17
Lark Bunting 11-Oct-17
SBH 11-Oct-17
Beendare 11-Oct-17
APauls 11-Oct-17
Wapitidung 12-Oct-17
Lark Bunting 12-Oct-17
23-Sep-17
I've owned and used a KUIU ICON PRO 5200 for two hunting seasons now, wearing it for hundreds of kms of hiking/hunting. Overall I like the pack design and fit. But what drives me nuts is how noisy the pack is. Not the material brushing against tree branches, etc. But most of the time (not always) it makes a squeaky sound with every step I take. I can't figure out what it is. My guess is that the pack fabric is rubbing against the frame, making the noise. It's hard to describe, but akin to the sound ones boots would make as they walked through damp snow.

It's not a subtle sound, but fairly noticeable, especially when I'm trying to sneak in on a bugling bull elk >:(

Does anyone else have this problem with their ICON PRO, and if so, how to fix it? I just contacted KUIU to see what they have to say about it, but figured I would ask here as well. Thanks!

23-Sep-17
I had a Icon pro 1850, same issue ...and had other issues. I couldn't dump it fast enough. Not sure what anyone sees in them other then the price. Junk

24-Sep-17
You still have the 1850 I'm interested

24-Sep-17
It's the big lower stay pocket and the upper stay pockets. I have the 5200 as well, new this year and wanted to leave it in the woods my first hunt. I had trained with it all summer, with weight, and always had earbuds in.

I used athletic tape and taped the frame in three spots; big lower frame area and both upper frame sections. My in the field fix was to pour some crappy Dead down windicator into the stay pockets.

I read that Kuiu will send a sticker to put on the frame but mine was bought from the outlet so they won't send me one.

24-Sep-17
Hmm, I have the same pack, no noise and I didn't get the stickers. I did put electric tape in 3 places to keep it from wearing the material tho. I do wash the pack a couple times each year tho. Once before the season to get all the sweat and gunk out of it from all summer training, then after each season.

As a side, I had the original ICON 6000 and now the 5200. I like the suspension system of the 5200, but the interior pockets of the old 6000 are awesome... Haul a bunch of meat out of the backcountry with those 2 packs.

24-Sep-17
My ultra 6000 doesnt squeak. Used it all summer almost daily on 2-3 mile 80# training hikes. As noted above though, if it does make noise, use tape in those 3 spots.

24-Sep-17
sorry I already sold it.

24-Sep-17
I have an ultra with 3000 bag and it seems to squeak when I have a bladder loaded with water. I fixed that problem along with several others when I picked up an Exo this year. I have that pack and would sell if someone was interested.

24-Sep-17
Lark - can you take a picture of the frame to show where you have taped it? I spent a good portion of my MT hunt last fall trying to quiet this thing and was only partially successful.

24-Sep-17
I also have a 5200 icon no problems like it better than the other packs on the market

25-Sep-17
Mine squeaks a bit with a load. but only when really hiking hard. No issues when actually in the woods and moving slower. I had an eberlestock that squeaked badly until a judicious application of electrical tape. A bit of graphite in selected spots has helped as well. Might have to try the electrical tape on the stays next year. I do like the pockets and organization. My brother commented before hiking out on Friday and I had it all loaded up that it really holds a bunch of stuff. It is only 100 ci smaller than his cabelas alaskan guide freighter. I have both the 1850 and 5200 bags. I dont use the smaller bag any more.

25-Sep-17

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Lower stay pocket taped up to reduce the dreaded squeak.
Lower stay pocket taped up to reduce the dreaded squeak.
I have a photo of the lower area I taped but I deleted the photos of the uppers. It's easy to do, just find where the upper stays go into the pockets and tape down about 1/5" or so.

25-Sep-17
I have the original 6000. It squeaked... I added tape. It carries well , But , I'm ready to move on. I love Kuiu gear........ not so much this pack.

25-Sep-17
When cinched down, agreed. Squeaks every step I take.

25-Sep-17
My 3200 is noisy as well.

27-Sep-17
KUIU is sending me some sort of plastic piece that is supposed to address the issue, so I'll give an update once it arrives and I take it out into the field.

10-Oct-17
So KUIU sent a simple plastic piece that fits on the bottom of the frame. Seems to have helped a lot with the squeaks that came from that area (which were the worst). However there are still some minor squeaks that come from the shoulder area on either side.

11-Oct-17

Tape them up.

11-Oct-17
Mine is noisy too. I taped them. Eventually got over it and bought a Stone Glacier. DONE with packs for a while.

11-Oct-17
Oh man, My Co buddy used to have one of those Badlands hyper light [i think they called it] He sounded like a one man band going up the trail....we striped and taped, moleskinned nothing worked.

we finally left it alongside a garbage can at the top of Wolf Creek pass for another bowsiter to find.

11-Oct-17
Mine squeaked as well and Kuiu sent me that plastic piece and after that quiet as a ... dead mouse.

12-Oct-17
Dang, I thought it was my cobalt chrome left hip.

12-Oct-17
Can someone post a picture of this magical plastic piece Kuiu sends out?

• Sitka Gear