HerdManager 02-Oct-17
elkstabber 02-Oct-17
Sage Buffalo 02-Oct-17
Kodiak 02-Oct-17
bfisherman11 02-Oct-17
JL 02-Oct-17
Bucktine 02-Oct-17
29-Sep-17
I am curious as to when folks move away from hang on stands due to age limitations. I hunt totally from hang on type stands and usually have 10-12 up by seasons end. I put up a few last week and while hanging on the side of the tree in a harness, thought "hummm I am gonna get too old for this stuff". [I will be 68 in a month] So, I was curious as to when others switched to ladders and ground blinds. I know health issues can happen at any age that limit mobility so this is really a more or less kind of question. Also curious what you switched to?

29-Sep-17
I'm 62, and it sure is nice to have an extra person as "ground crew" along to help hanging stands.

29-Sep-17
JMO... You're too old for treestands when you start thinking more about falling than hunting. Or if your butt has been whupped by the time you get to your desired location because you hiked your way in with 20 pounds of scrap metal on your back. If they're taking the fun out of it, why bother? ??

And another thought.... Somewhere along the line, most of us get to a point where killing something is no longer the whole point of the exercise. Maybe you let younger bucks walk and focus on filling antlerless tags, or maybe you will settle for nothing but a "personal best", or maybe you like to fill a few tags quickly and then keep hunting just to be out there.

No matter. Any time that you aren't on a meat-collecting mission is (IMO) a damn fine time to hunt from the ground. And I don't mean sitting in a hot, stuffy pup-tent all day long, but just slipping along in a series of good places to hang a stand. Maybe you stop and sit on a stump for a while?

Make no mistake - when I'm serious about filling a tag Today, I will take a climber with me, and I'll sit all day if I have to, because when I can get access to private land, I know just where to sit so that it'll just be a matter of time 'til something shows up.

Bores me to death and turns the whole day into Work, but at least there's "free" food....

29-Sep-17
I got two sons that help me now, my Dad is 76 and still puts up 4 or 5 a year. Tough old man? I try to send my boys down to help him a couple times a year, but he still don't tell me where they all are at.

29-Sep-17
My father n law is 67. Still sets up hangers and uses a climber.

29-Sep-17
At 75 I have switched to mostly ladders, I only have 4 hang ons that I use now. The other 18 are ladders.

29-Sep-17
My hunting buddy who is 75's and had one hip replaced with the second after hunting season still uses hang on but I convinced him to buy a couple ladder stands for this year. He does find the latter stand easier to get into. He also still uses a flip phone?'!? Stuck in his ways I guess.....

29-Sep-17
At 45 im still ok in a hang on treestand, but in the last 2 years I can't get off the ladder onto my roof, freaks me out! Maybe its an internal self preservation as I get older and shittier

29-Sep-17
Carcus X2. Those gutters are gonna stay clogged until I call someone less of a wuss.

Luckily the farm I hunt I can get a ladder to most places so a buddy and I use it to hang stands in the spring or summer. I'm 46 so if at 68 the original poster is still hanging on a tree to put up a stand he's tough.

29-Sep-17
I'm 61 and still hanging stands. A little smarter doing it than I used to be but getting around fine.

29-Sep-17
Ladder Stand

29-Sep-17
I'd think weight has as much to do with it as age. If you're 6 feet tall and weigh 350 lbs, are you more safe at 55 years old getting into a stand than a guy who's 170 lbs but 65-70 years old? As we age, we lose dexterity, balance, and reflex time, but could the 65 year old catch himself more effectively than the guy who's 350 lbs?

It's my personal belief that anyone that's 100 lbs overweight has no business in a tree (yes yes, everyone has the right to do whatever they want), but I suppose they're already throwing caution to the wind being that heavy in the first place since it's just a slower death than falling from a tree when you're morbidly obese.

FWIW, my dad is 67 and 40-50 lbs overweight and it scares me to death watching him climb a tree and get situated in a stand.

29-Sep-17
At age 50 you should not be stepping onto a tree stand period! Just hunt from ground blinds at that point!

29-Sep-17
I'm 60 and hunt totally from climbers. This does not help with age and hang one.

29-Sep-17
I'm 73 and haven't thought about the subject yet. Huh

29-Sep-17
JTV that was a dig to the thread guided hunt nightmare!

When I hang stands I always use my summit and lineman's rope to attach my safety line first then my stand then my sticks as I descend down the tree. this way I am always tied in!

I usually have one person helping me if not I tie on the stand to one rope and the sticks to two different ropes and pull them up.

29-Sep-17
Kellyharris Since when has 50 been the time to lay down and die. At 65 I hunt out of my Summit climber or use my Lone Wolf Assault with LW sticks. I am far from an invalid. I also still set my ladder on my two story home and blow out my gutters twice a year. I do where a harness not because I am old but because I am smart and safe.

29-Sep-17
Tracker read my first sentence and not get your undies in a wad!

With your first sentence I hope you read the thread (guided hunt nightmare) I could have used your support?

30-Sep-17
I have been using leg irons (Buckinghams) almost exclusively for 20 years now. No steps to come loose, fall into, ladder to fall over, nothing left behind to be stolen either. The times where there have been issues are #1- strap on step shifted (dummies managing the hunts would let me use leg irons), screw step broke, ladder shifted or stepped in a hidden hole that had nothing to do with the tree stand. Redundant fall protection is a given, leg irons let me go around branches, Vs in trees and a lot of stability for setting the stand, climbing in from above. Stand, bows,equip etc. all brought up by tag line after I am set. I have shot deer while in the process of climbing too. They are that stable.

I am getting closer to 60 than I care to admit, multiple foot surgeries, knee, hips, mostly due to RH and Lyme's I had over 25 yrs ago.

That said ground blinds (I prefer natural over commercial) can be a great option in some areas.

While at a client's some years ago the owner mentioned he had recently lost his best tree climber. Thinking it was a fatality at work I asked for more details. Seems he retired at 76 cause he wanted to spend more time with great grandkids and bowhunting, etc.

30-Sep-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I still do both but one can kill a lot of critters off the ground.

30-Sep-17

30-Sep-17
I have eight hang on now but only use six. 30-40 (even 20 or less) years ago ladder stands weren't around unless they were home made wooden stands. I can buy the cheaper ladder stands now a days for $40 on sale. So the more remote places that I use to use hang on now have ladder stands (I don't hunt public land for deer) that stay there year round. I have been buying the bigger platform with the more comfortable mesh seats the last few years. I doubt I will buy another hang on stand again. To me it would not so much for age (yet anyway) as it is about convenience and safety.

30-Sep-17
I hope I am never too old to use hang on stands.. I have a good friend who will be 80 in a couple weeks. He still hunts 3 states and hangs at least 20 plus stands a year. I hope I am doing the same 30 years from now. Shawn

30-Sep-17
My dad is 73 and uses them every stand he hunts is a lock on!

30-Sep-17
I'm 66 and haven't thought about the subject yet.

30-Sep-17
I am 77, still used hang ons, climbers, and like Paul, on the ground also. Good luck to all, Peter.

30-Sep-17
At 69 I find myself using hang-ons, climbers and ladders. I am using hang-ons less and find that the light weight bowhunting style climbers are a whole lot more convenient and quicker for trying new stand sites, especially at a moments notice. I have started using a couple of ladderstands that I seem to be able to kill deer out of quite nicely. But I am hunting private land with easy access to my stand sites for the most part.... what kind of land you have available has a lot to do with the type stand that works best for you. Regarding safety, I believe hang-ons have the greatest potential for a life changing or ending mishap, if you aren't tied in at all times while hanging them, going up, down and everything in between, and if you aren't in particularly good physical condition . I can still climb a tree like a squirrel, just a much older, slower squirrel with a bad back and a lame shoulder.

30-Sep-17
I'm 65 and used climbers for years. But, I'm doing more ground-pounding with a ghillie suit.

Lot of fun and rewarding way to hunt...but you still gotta beat their nose, of course!

I have to admit, following knee replacement surgury a few years ago...I do think of the consequences of a fall. A deer's just not that important anymore...I've killed my share and still hunt for more, but I'm kinda liking this terra-firma method.

30-Sep-17
I will be 61 in two months. I sold my Lone Wolf sticks and stand after bear season last year. No more monkey besnes for me. Climber or ladder stands from now on. I prefer the climber.

30-Sep-17
My only issue with hang on stands are how they attach to the tree. I have ever only used the discontinued Vantage Point Pin on stands since the very first year they were sold. I clearly remember the adds were a guy bigger than myself was sitting in a V/P pin on stand with a quad ATV hanging suspended from it, that sold me on them. I am a large guy tipping the scales at 260lbs and wear size 15 XXW boots and I simply can not bring myself to trust ratchet straps to hold a stand to a tree. I absolutely LOVE my V/P pin on stands as I feel there was never a better designed or stronger stand made, PERIOD!. The next best stand is the Chippawa W/L but I only paid IIRC less than $150/EA for my V/P's but the CWL's are now well over $300/EA now and I simply can not afford to spend that much money on a single stand. I have hunted out of both ladder and my V/P's and for bow hunting you can not beat my pin on V/P's.

30-Sep-17
70 and still climbing.

01-Oct-17
Hello, Thumper-I am 73.4 and currently have 13-stands on three pieces of property. Eight are hanging stands, five ladder stands. I hung all the hangers myself and had help putting up the ladders. None are over 16-feet up,couple are 8-10. In the past few years, maybe about age 70, I began to favor the ladders and truly cannot tell you why. What I can tell you is this. Your body will tell you when to switch over and when to start ground blind hunting. If it doesn't, your wife or doctor, will. The only fall, I have had in 63-years of deer hunting was three weeks ago and that was while in process of moving a ladder stand. Stay safe.

01-Oct-17
Do what you are comfortable with, everyone is different. A lot depends on your physical strength, balance and staying in good physical condition. Don't let anyone convince you to stop unless "YOU" are too uncomfortable to do it safely. Practice year round use the muscles that are relative to your treestand mechanics. Like a professional athlete the one's that train a little stay on top of their game. My father is 76 and does the ladder stand. Best Wishes

01-Oct-17
I am 53 and thinking about the day when I won't put up/climb a hang on stand anymore.

I can assure you that day will come long before I'm 68. Actually thinking about going to ladders/pop-ups only as we speak. Everyone is different, but IMO 68 is past the age when the risk has outweighed the reward.

01-Oct-17
Ladders stands for sure;made the move about five years ago.Not just for my safety but my kids and grandkids.We have 10-12 set-up.Much easier in our late season with the snow and ice.

01-Oct-17

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
A tree on top of a tree , on top of a tree. Great blind!!
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
A tree on top of a tree , on top of a tree. Great blind!!
".. what kind of land you have available has a lot to do with the type stand that works best for you."

Hunt mainly public land, many sites stand cannot be left overnight, so set up every time I climb the tree. One reason I can't use the portable blinds is they are not to be left on site. However, if I found a downed tree leaning on another one, I clear out branches maybe move some others around for a great permanently located natural blind. Dig a hole for your feet so you can sit low. Unfortunately if its a good spot on public land, other folks find them. A few years back had a great one. Returned for a hunt to find someone hand placed a tree stand in the tree I used for a back rest in the blind.

01-Oct-17
It is not about age. If you feel more comfortable from the ground stay on it. I have missed opportunities from a tree stand because I was uncomfortable. I would rather set up on the ground and feel safe.

01-Oct-17
At 25' the view is great ( especially in a tree-stand ) :^}

01-Oct-17
Very encouraging to see the number of you older than me guys still hunting from portables. Good luck to all. I'm fifty four and this topic entered my mine recently. Based on your activity I'll not think of it again for a long time.

01-Oct-17
I'll be 76 in mid Nov. & went to ladder stands several years ago. ONLY because I like them over Climbers & never a fan of hang ons. I kept 1 hang on & gave the rest to my son. If I can't get close to my stand area I use my Deer hauler to take them in & out. Pretty easy that way. I still carry a pack about 30#s (camera gear + hunt stuff) AND there is nothing wrong with a FLIP PHONE..

02-Oct-17
I'm 50, been using hang-ons for 34 years and plan to do so until I am physically unable. I plan to exercise, eat well, and stay in a tree!! I still carry all my gear and set up every time I hunt.

02-Oct-17
I'm 50, been using hang-ons for 34 years and plan to do so until I am physically unable. I plan to exercise, eat well, and stay in a tree!! I still carry all my gear and set up every time I hunt.

02-Oct-17
same here, turned the magic 50 this year and I am a long way off till I change to ladder stands or blinds. I do have a few blinds and ladder stands but those are mainly for my 75 yo dad who still hunts with me. He's in great shape and occassionally he will climb into a hang on stand but his days of putting those up are over. Since he put so many up for my brother and I when we were young, I figure we have about 10 more years until we are even.

02-Oct-17
It wasn't so much my age, but rather my placing screw-in steps to far apart for my wife. Have gone to ladder stands.

02-Oct-17
gave them up at 50

02-Oct-17
I'm 54 and I still hang and hunt every time with a LW Alpha and 4 LW sticks. What I find is that I tend to choose trees that are easy to get into. If I'm dodging a lot of limbs and twisted trunks, it makes it more risky with my age. Should probably just go to a hand climber. Used my Summit Viper the other day and it was kind of nice. But all in all, if I stay in shape and take my time using my linesman's belt, it still feels pretty easy to put up and take down.

02-Oct-17
Hunting out of a climber more and more

02-Oct-17
Personally I think everyone should stay out of hang-ons...used them for years and got away with a lot of potential mishaps.

I got smart and went to all ladder stands.

02-Oct-17
I still use hang-ons at 58 because I believe in being mobile and not educating the deer. But, this year I will start to place some "semi-permanent" stands to cut back on hanging every hunt. These will be mostly for guests. I try and walk 2 miles a day and do 50 push-ups after the walk every other day.

02-Oct-17
"Personally I think everyone should stay out of hang-ons"

Why? I am tied to the tree 100% of the time, so falling is not an issue. Hang-ons give you the most flexibility when picking a tree, are fast, light, and allow you to be mobile. Being mobile is key to killing deer. Sitting the same stand over and over drastically reduces your chances at that location.

02-Oct-17
I'm 48 and hung 8 hang-on stands yesterday. It's not that big of a deal if you maintain yourself in good shape. My forearms are sore today. No big deal.

ALWAYS push the lifeline up above you when you're off of the ground putting in the steps and hanging the stand. When you are done you've got the quietest, most stealthy way to hunt from a tree.

02-Oct-17
I think the biggest key is to let people know where you are and when you should return and when they need to send someone out after you. I would be more cautious than not.

02-Oct-17
Why? I'm not telling anyone how to hunt. Personally I think they're inherently dangerous and gave up using them. I hunt my own land so ladders work fine. Killing deer ain't worth the risk to me anymore. I hunted out of hang-ons for 30 years, I ain't no rookie and I'm not an out of shape slob...yet. Lol

02-Oct-17
I have my own land so don't worry much how heavy a stand is. I bought a big platform/big seat stand to swap out an old stand I had. I'm 58, pretty fit and comfortable in a tree. I told my wife when I was done that heavy stand was a chore getting up. She asked me the same question here, when would you stop and what then. I said i have no idea when but ladder stand are a good option.

Anyhow, I have not read anyone mention the "Lifeline" systems. I love them. Mostly because I don't like strapping in 15' off the ground in the dark. With the lifeline you clip on at ground level and stay connected all the way up.

I give a big thumbs up to that system and have 3 stands with them.

Anyhow, I will be very comfortable in that heavy beast i put up. It has a big wide mesh seat and is so comfortable. Still this tree is very big and that stand heavy. I felt good when it was set.

Anyhow, get a lifeline guys. They are great!

Bill

02-Oct-17
I was starting to question myself about continuing to use hang-ons at 57. After reading that some of the geezers on here still use hang-ons gives me a little motivation to keep using them. I like using them them, they're just a pain to put up and take down every year. I have 5 up now.....two private land, 3 public land. I do like the new 22' Primal Mac Daddy ladder stand.

02-Oct-17

Bucktine's embedded Photo
My 9 pointer.
Bucktine's embedded Photo
My 9 pointer.
I am 68. 206lbs 6' 1". I hung 6 portables this year. My second time out I got a 9 pointer. I gave up running 5 years ago then walked for 3 years. Now I ride my bycicle 5 days a week. I have slowed. I'm just more careful.

• Sitka Gear