Pigsticker 30-Sep-17
RattlinRack 01-Oct-17
Fulldraw1972 01-Oct-17
rooster 03-Oct-17
fubar racin 03-Oct-17
canepole 03-Oct-17
Destroyer350 03-Oct-17
30-Sep-17
Hi guys i am new to the site. I am also getting more into bow hunting because i think its awesome. The only problem i seem to be having is i have to hunt public land out here on the outskirts of Kansas City and i havent been having any luck picking up anything. Seems like deer are moving through the are see fresh tracks and scat here and there but cant seem to find where they are going. Also hunting out of a pop up ground blind, which stinks not being able to leave your set up out on public land. Any suggestion for me on how to get me a bow kill? anything helps

30-Sep-17
Perseverance will be rewarded. I got my first archery deer In my third season. Good luck. The outskirts of Kansas City are loaded with deer.

30-Sep-17
any tips on when i should go in? more evening or morning and what time of each to set my blind up. the place i been hitting has real dense timber with an old road down the middle leading into two corn fields but the timber is very dense and i noticed tracks coming up the road towards open field

30-Sep-17
Back in the "hungry years" I would hunt the edges of food sources in the pm and back in the woods in the am. Come to think of it that's what I do now too:) Look for some acorns dropping. Good luck! C

30-Sep-17
awesome thanks for the advice

30-Sep-17
First thing I would do is ditch the ground blind......unless you are spending alot of time brushing it in each setup the deer will be nervous around it. Not sure what kind of trees you have but getting a climber and getting up where you can see will greatly increase your sightings due to visibility alone. It won't guarantee they are in range, but help you learn their movement to move if needed.

30-Sep-17
Forget the climber, get a set of limbing sticks and a hang on stands. Prepare a few stand sites and then sit according to the wind. Remember the deer will be heading toward feed in the evening and heading bak to bed in the morning, Make sure the wind is right, it cannot be blowing your scent towards where the deer are coming from. Shawn

30-Sep-17
RattlinRack, good luck this season. Your questions have me smiling as I reflect back on my first couple of years bow hunting. I must have shot over the backs of the first three or four deer I took aim at. Wasn't very good guessing the yardage back then. Getting busting by moving at the wrong time in a tree stands scared a few way. I was hunting on public land and seeing more hunters than deer. Just like Charlie, it wasn't till my third year I shot my first deer, a button buck. I'm still 30 years later, as proud of that deer as any of the big ones I've killed. Be sure your as proficient with your equipment as you can be. You don't want to miss an opportunity because you used the wrong pin on your sight, the release wasn't releasing, you had a field point on, ect. Any time you have question just post it here. 95% of the guys here are very helpful to new archers. Gene

30-Sep-17
Hang in there rattlinrack! This , being my first post on a forum, I hope is helpful. A long time ago when I first began my bowhunting journey, I was in the same boat as you. What I learned by trial and error was that I was picking good stand locations but I lacked patience. Be quiet and still and sit your stands as long as you can. When I started to not question my setup and fought the urge to relocate to " a better spot" I started sticking deer. Even now , when my back is sore from sitting in the stand , and I'm sure the deer are all bedded after leaving the night time hangouts, I make myself stay another half hour. I have shot a bunch of bucks in that half hour! Hunt on fresh sign, don't hunt a stand with wrong wind , and be patient. It will happen !! Shoot straight!!

30-Sep-17
Be patient the woods are getting ready to awaken.

01-Oct-17
you guys are awesome. i do not have a tree stand but might invest in one from all the feedback. i have noticed i can only see short range from the ground obviously i dont get that wide range view from being up 15 feet

01-Oct-17
I second what Shawn says. Unless you can leave the blind set up in area for extended periods of time the deer could spook because of it. Rapid sticks and a portable stand are a great set up.

This time of year think food. Also cold fronts not only get bucks up on there feet but all deer in general.

03-Oct-17
I agree with the notion of a tree stand being your best option. Doesn't really matter whether it is a climber or hang on. Find the tree(s) you want to be in, open some shooting lanes ahead of time, then just go in hang the stand and hunt.

03-Oct-17
I dont hunt whitetails or from a tree but i do know that tree stand safety is #1. Check out the treestand safety threads here before you invest in a stand.

03-Oct-17
Fubar, best advice yet!!

03-Oct-17
There is a ton of public ground on the Missouri side. If funds allow it I would say get a tag this year or next year in MO. You can find some good spots on either side of rifle season but come rifle season its almost borderline dangerous with the amount of hunters on public. I would also recommend getting a climber and ditch the blind. I wouldnt leave a hang on in public land.

• Sitka Gear