longbeard 05-Oct-17
XbowfromNY 05-Oct-17
Jack Harris 11-Oct-17
30-Sep-17

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
As I found him...
As I found him...
I say old school, because this state, this country has become addicted to trail cams, and in NJ - baiting those cams. I am guilty of same, but I generally prefer to hunt sign and acorns particularly. I am near a lot of agriculture - but I don't have access to hunt fields. My woods is a great funnel . That being said - my best big buck hunts close to home (walking out the door) depend on acorns or the rut. This year, all my reds and whites are barren. A spot I have stands on 2 miles away - loaded with chestnut oak acorns and MOST but not ALL the whites are barren. However 2 weeks ago I scouted an old stand on a plateau halfway up a steep hemlock & oak ridge. Tons of chestnut oaks but deer don't like them much this time of year too acidic... Lots of big mature white oaks but all barren. I found next to the stand I hung in 2006 but never did much out of - a few smaller white oaks that were dropping. No surprise - the only sign on this 52 acres was there. 40 yards from stand was a big, fresh rub... Like hit that morning fresh. It was burning in my mind to get over there and hunt it, but a massive heat wave set in, and I lucked out that the first cold morning coincided with a Friday work from home day. Plan was to get in 5:45 am and sit till about 8:15... The hunt started by spooking deer off the acorns on way in... Then a large pack of coyotes moved through effectively driving the entire piece right before shooting light. I figured hunt was over. Had a fawn come in and bed then a young 4pt at 7am feeding all around me. I still felt that whatever made that rub, was probably not coming in based on the coyote "drive". They were all spread out in formation. Well 7:40 this nice 165# dressed out split brow 9pt comes in. I glass him at 20 yards as he was slurping acorns, and thought "nice buck but a little thin on top", but as he turned and walked to me, I saw great mass on his bases all gnarly and such... Shooter! He stopped near broadside at 8 yards, my blood was pumping and he fell 40-50 yards from stand. No blood trail required. Bucks with this sort of mass (5 2/8 " bases) are rare in my area of Sussex County NJ, but of course at the norm in the Midwest... Very happy - very blessed just an awesome hunt! I am done until permit bow - 10/29... Off to Italy tomorrow (Tuscany/wine country) with my girl tomorrow. PERFECT TIMING. Thanks for reading and good luck.... Jack

30-Sep-17

The old venerable z7 gets it done again, and the 125gr VPA is a consistent performer with max penetration either side of shoulder!

30-Sep-17

tight to the shoulder on the entrance = good results.

30-Sep-17

I always struggle to get that perfect shot... this was about best I could do with a local friend's help

30-Sep-17
Nice buck Jack! Have fun in Italy.

30-Sep-17

decent body size...

30-Sep-17

Tried to get the perfect "Matt Andersen" shot, but his Ohio bucks are a LOT bigger and he has a true professional come shoot! LOL See you soon in Ohio MATT!

30-Sep-17

he grossed out at 125 3/8, won't make book after shrinkage and the 1.5" deduction on the split brow, but in NJ - I'll sign on for this every year. Always good to take a pic making it look bigger though! LOL Easiest downhill drag ever - that's near end of the "sleigh ride" with the road just yards from the "gut sight". Doesn't get easier than that!

30-Sep-17

always like the "on the rack" shots...

30-Sep-17

and of course - the scale shots are great too... Ok I'm done...

30-Sep-17
Great shot on a nice trophy buck!

30-Sep-17
Real nice buck, congrats!

30-Sep-17
Nice job Jack. You don't have to worry about a long track job when you hit em there!

30-Sep-17
Nice nice deer. I'm happy for you.

Congrats!

30-Sep-17
Nice! Congrats....

30-Sep-17
Nice deer

30-Sep-17
Nice buck!! I'd sign up for that here in Michigan each year too!!

30-Sep-17
Congrats on a nice buck, Jack!

30-Sep-17
and with a heart shot! What is that all about? Very nice Jack and the way to get'ur done the old school way. Paul

30-Sep-17
Very nice .

30-Sep-17
You are a blessed man being able to hunt two miles from your home. Great shot and thanks for posting. C

30-Sep-17
Nice one, Jack!

30-Sep-17
Congratulations Jack!!!

30-Sep-17
Nice

30-Sep-17
"You are a blessed man being able to hunt two miles from your home. Great shot and thanks for posting. C " Well I hunt too much walking right out my door - had to drive away from my own human intrusion! lol

30-Sep-17
Congrats Jack.

30-Sep-17
Congratulations. Awesome buck, even better in the early season.

Have a safe trip.

30-Sep-17
Nice work congrats!

30-Sep-17
Great buck Jack!! Nice big bodied deer!! Ya figure he was 4.5 years old? Congrats!! Shawn

30-Sep-17
"Great buck Jack!! Nice big bodied deer!! Ya figure he was 4.5 years old? Congrats!! Shawn "

No less than that Shawn - hard to find a buck with those sort of gnarly base beams less than that around here. Thanks All!

30-Sep-17
super deer anywhere

30-Sep-17
Very nice. If you can get them to fly straight those 3 blade VPA are killers. I switched to there 2 blade 125. More consistent for me.

30-Sep-17
Nice! Grats Jack

30-Sep-17
Great deer and even better story of the hunt! Congrats!

30-Sep-17
Great posing, I mean posting. Congratulations!

30-Sep-17
"Great posing, I mean posting. Congratulations" In NJ - we take all we can get.....

30-Sep-17
Great buck jack and safe travels!

30-Sep-17
Nice job Jack, congrats!

30-Sep-17
Way to go Jack! Your scouting paid off.

01-Oct-17
thanks everyone. Good luck with your seasons!

01-Oct-17
Attaboy! I miss being able to hunt right out the back door

01-Oct-17
Terrific.

01-Oct-17
Nice Garden State deer! I grew up in Mercer County....lots of deer, but hard to find spots to hunt. Congratulations.

01-Oct-17
Congrats Jack! I've got a few B.O.B.'s with your name on them! See you in about 4 weeks! Have fun in Italy!

02-Oct-17
Nice Buck! Congrats

03-Oct-17
Nice buck! Congrats!

03-Oct-17
Way to go Jack! Congrats!!

03-Oct-17
Nice job, Jack! That's bigger than any buck I've killed... well, the body anyhow. :) Hope you're enjoying Italy!

PS... you need to work on your picture taking. You look awkward. Lol!

04-Oct-17
Congrats Jack, great early season buck!

04-Oct-17
Nice buck Jack! Congratulations.

05-Oct-17
Nice Deer Jack

05-Oct-17
Way to go "OLD SCHOOL". You earned that one Jack. Great story too!

05-Oct-17
Great buck. Congrats.

11-Oct-17
thanks again everyone - just returned from 10 days in Tuscany region of Italy, and can once again reflect on a great hunt as I literally shot it Friday 29th and flew out Sunday the 1st. Have to go visit my taxi and pick my next form.

• Sitka Gear