t-roy 01-Oct-17
01-Oct-17

BowhuntBill's embedded Photo
Well you ask that I post how my first ever Elk hunt in 16D in New Mexico went so here is the story. I am an Illinois farm bow and veteran whitetail hunter and pulled a bow tag for elk in 16D. My two friends Frank Gallegos and David Garcia of Albuquerque New Mexico are the best guides money can't buy! They know the area and they know elk hunting. We were in elk every hunt. The elk were bugling but not coming to calls it was early in the rut. We hunted hard and had many close encounters. One hunt I was sure I would ambush a 6 X 6 with a couple of cows but was messed up at the last minute by another hunter. Tuesday evening the 19th I was in a ground blind next to a wallow. A nice 6X6 with a couple of cows came in to a wallow about 100 yards from the one I was at. The wallows are on the south side of Eagle peak. Since I did not think I would have a shot I videoed him and that is why I have pictures. As he turned to leave I cow called even though to that point it had not been effective, but I figured I had nothing to loose. He turned on a dime and made a beeline to my location stopped 20 yards from my face and bugled. WOW that was a rush. But he stopped and I knew he was not going to come past my shooting window. He began to act nervous and knew something was not right. He started to turn I knew the only chance I had was to shoot through my lookout window which was small. I put my 20 yard pin on the crease and released. To my horror I had not seen a small branch. The arrow deflected back and I hit him too far back. It also changed the angle of flight and shifted the angle rearward causing the arrow to come to rest in the rear quarter preventing an exit wound. Yes I know rookie mistake and all that but I screwed up and I will live with that. We pulled out hoping I hit an artery or liver and he would lay down close. The next morning we began our search planning on a whole day recovery mission. We found no blood with no exit wound and an abdominal entry wound which I was fearful of. Before I left I bought a Garmin inreach GPS device with Satellite texting ability. Best money I ever spent! At 10 AM I recieved a text from my wife that my 80 year old father was in intensive care and going to have a 6 bypass surgery in the morning. She said there was nothing I could do just stay and hunt she would keep me informed but I could no longer hunt knowing I may never be able to talk to my dad again. I know the odds of finding my bull were very low and we packed up camp and headed for Illinois. It was a long drive home worrying about my Dad but I was at the hospital 6:30 the next evening a was beside my Dad. Dad made the surgery but has a long recovery road but he should make a full recovery! I am so thankful for my Dad being ok, my hunt of a lifetime, my close encounter with my bull and my camp I shared with Frank and David. I have attached pics of my bull I am sure it was a fatal hit. If anyone encounters him in the eagle peak area I would greatly appreciate knowing what happened to him. Bill Riechmann 618-314-0177

01-Oct-17

01-Oct-17
Tough luck, wish I could help you out. Good luck and let us know what happens.

01-Oct-17
Prayers sent for your dad. Bummer about your bull as well. Hopefully someone finds him and notifies you. At least that way you will know for sure.

• Sitka Gear