Grasshopper 04-Oct-17
Huntcell 04-Oct-17
wyobullshooter 04-Oct-17
Mossyhorn 04-Oct-17
Franzen 05-Oct-17
BTM 05-Oct-17
Fulldraw1972 05-Oct-17
03-Oct-17
According to the Jackson Hole News-the wolf hunting season which lasts 3 months, is off to a good start. 12 wolves were harvested legally in the first 40 hours of the season. It's been three years since the last season and these wolves are naive to what human hunters do- thus the wolves do not fear man in that area. Only 48 wolves can be harvested in that Jones around Jackson.

03-Oct-17
Unfortunately "Only 48"!

Hope they are all alpha males that get harvested that will throw the packs into chaos until the next quota.

03-Oct-17
Hell, I was hoping to hear that the total was over 1,000 and rising!

03-Oct-17
I was thinking shoot the females. Slow the factory down a little.

03-Oct-17
Watched a show few years back that followed a few packs in Yellowstone. oh how they wailed and lamented the loss of a collared Alpha male that was illegally shot out side park boundary. On and on the narrative went about the tragic breakup of the family structure. And the chaoes and potential calamity of other wolfs that might die from pack infighting before order would be restored. That's were I was coming from.

Wondering what the wounding loss rate per recovered and tagged animal is? Just wondering!!!

03-Oct-17
Good to hear.

04-Oct-17
I hope those guys are terrible trackers...

04-Oct-17
I will be in a Predator area this afternoon thru Sunday and would just love to get a chance @ a Wolf.

I am sure the 'Quota' will be filled up around Jackson when I am up there the 3rd week of December.

Good luck, Robb

04-Oct-17
I hope they save some for me!

04-Oct-17
What are the chances the season will still be open in mid December?

04-Oct-17
I shot a very large male in Minnesota when they had their first season. I'd been listening to them for a few nights and the tone of their howling definitely changed after I killed mine. I absolutely love hunting around wolves and falling asleep to their howling outside the tent.

04-Oct-17
Huntcell- do you know what happens when the alphas get killed? They all breed. Need an example coyotes.

04-Oct-17
Or....they could wander out of the Trophy Areas into the rest of the state. At that point they are no longer considered trophy game. They're classified as predators...no closed season, no license required.

Damn, it feels good to be able to say that once again!!!

04-Oct-17
Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you guys kill too many wolves and they deem their numbers dip too low, won't they just end up back on the ESA? Then you'll be back in the same shit mess you've been in the last how many years? I'm all for killing wolves but seems like your best interests would be to follow the rules and quotas to avoid them being re-listed?

04-Oct-17
Mossy, that's always a risk bit if they stick to the reported quota it should be OK.

I hunted elk in SW Montana where there was supposed to be wolves. Never heard one. There was a lot of private down low. May have been one or two taken before they were off the list???

04-Oct-17
I agree, but seems like many are advocating to kill more than the quota, "kill them all", "SSS", etc etc.

I don't want to see the damn things re-listed. That mentality is a sure way to get them there.

04-Oct-17
Have faith mossyhorn, management using hunters and quotas has proven to work for all species for a long time now. Talk is cheap, most follow the rules.

04-Oct-17
Didn't know the breeding problems of wolfs or coyotes, just quoting an (expert) on a show that apparently are not to expert.

04-Oct-17
"I agree, but seems like many are advocating to kill more than the quota, "kill them all", "SSS", etc etc."

Where are you seeing that many are advocating killing more than the established quota? Quotas and seasons were established in the Wolf Management Areas to ensure wolf numbers remain above those required by Wyoming's Gray Wolf Management Plan. Any wolves that are illegally killed will be counted toward the quota, and you can bet the farm any violators will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

As far as the rest of the state, there's no need to "SSS", since they can legally be shot on sight at any time. There aren't any established packs in the Bighorns, Snowies, Sierra Madres, Laramie Range, etc. Thankfully, we can make sure it stays that way.

04-Oct-17
There are comments that were either removed from this thread or deleted by the poster. You can read like comments on any hunting forum regarding wolves.

05-Oct-17
I didn't see the comments you speak of either. Treat'em like a 'yote for most of the state. That IS the intent of the management plan.

05-Oct-17
Yesterday I walked into the G&F to buy a wolf tag for my upcoming elk hunt (in western WY) and was told that wolf season closed there after only one day. (Quota was three, and four had already been killed.) Sounds like plenty of wolves are there or they're pretty dumb--or both!

05-Oct-17
Mossyhorn I highly doubt Pat deleted any posts. If the poster deleted his post his name would still be on the thread. I see none of that.

I don't really see how other hunting sites comments have an impact on the posters on this site.

Bottom line no one on this thread has advocated for shooting more then the quota or SSS.

• Sitka Gear