CAS_HNTR 09-Oct-17
CAS_HNTR 09-Oct-17
DEMO-Bowhunter 09-Oct-17
Twanger 09-Oct-17
Killbuck 09-Oct-17
Tracker 09-Oct-17
Kodiak 09-Oct-17
09-Oct-17
I'm interested in making my own safety line for treestands.

What are the specifications on the ropes and carabiner that I would need? Is there some sort of heat shrink to use at the ends of the cut rope?

Where can I buy everything that I would need?

09-Oct-17
the last time I made my own I went to the local Outdoors, Inc. store and bought 9mm main rope and 7mm prussic knot rope. I finally had figured out the rope at Lowe's wasn't rated for what we are expecting the rope to do if we fall. I've also figured out buying the safety rope system at the store wasn't really that much more expensive when on sale and my last one came with a carabineer.

09-Oct-17
When you price it out you will likely find the savings minimal if at all. A complete 3 pack for $90 bucks is hard to beat, Good luck. C

09-Oct-17
Charlie, you can buy them at WM right now for less than $25 each.

09-Oct-17
Get some retired rock climbing ropes. Rock climbers go through ropes fairly often, and they are absolutely still fine for a safety line. PM me and I can help steer you in the right direction as far as locating some if you would like.

09-Oct-17

CAS_HNTR's Link
I bought 9 of them from Sportsmans Guide......best deal I have seen

09-Oct-17
Any the above comments are correct......you cant make them for cheaper....I looked into that too

09-Oct-17
Charlie is right. I bought enough rope once to make 40 of the life lines and it cost me right around $1,200. The only advantage to the home made ones is you can make them all different lengths as needed. Just go to the store and buy what you need, it's much easier.

09-Oct-17
A couple years ago I looked into making some and determined that it was no more expensive and a lot simpler to just buy them. I agree with the other who say the same. I ended up buying 18 and it was still cheaper IMO. Just waited for a sale.

09-Oct-17
Before they were readily available I made mine from boat anchor rope. Now cheaper to buy them ready made.

09-Oct-17
I went to Craigslist and bought 150’ of climbing rope Rei store for 8mm cord for my prusic knot and a decent caribiner

09-Oct-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear