nutritionist 10-Oct-17
nutritionist 10-Oct-17
nutritionist 10-Oct-17
nutritionist 10-Oct-17
Michael Schwister 12-Oct-17
10-Oct-17

nutritionist's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

So many people just plant forage soybeans or taller varieties of farm beans. You all know the 2 major players in the business. Here are some alternative ways of thinking. I am on a lot of properties and I also have some all of these types of soybeans. There is a time and place for each of them.

My clients that subscribe to providing as much available nutrition per acre as well as keeping the ground covered use this option and I'm providing you this information to give you all something to consider.

Forage soybeans may or may not make effective pod set in northern climates. If they do set pods, they may not provide very many bushels per acre. Many should consider yield of forage soybeans as forage tons per acre and not count on pod yield. In southern climates, you should see pods but i challenge you all to do yield checks. Factor both into the equation and see what you come up with for nutrition per acre.

There is a company who pushes a blend of "determinate growth" soybeans which are longer day soybeans. They hold the green longer into the season. They are moderate tall.

I had clients use short day beans the past couple years and this year put together a unique blend of early maturiting, medium and medium tall soybeans that are higher yielding for pods. I added growth promoters, innoculants and fungicides to combat mother nature.

I will be posting various pictures from the GRO educational plot. I want people to understand soybeans better. The differences between true forage soybeans "indeterminate growth", taller "determinate growth soybeans and determinate growth soybeans that can be overseeded effectively into.

All 3 have a place in the food plot world. The first picture is of my bean blend that is overseeded into.

10-Oct-17

This picture is side by side of my early soybean blend on the right and the "determinate growth" soybeans on the left. They were overseeded the same day. I also have forage test results from 1 month ago. Interesting data......

10-Oct-17

This picture is of the "determinate soybeans" overseeded the same day as the rest. It shows that a canopy of green leaves affects growth of brassicas.

10-Oct-17

Lastly here is a picture of early soybeans planted July 1, side by side with "indeterminate growth forage soybeans" Look close at other agronomic factors.

12-Oct-17
Would definately like to get some early soybeans to mix in (drill in seperately in strips)with my usual RR forage beans (I need the green forage production JUL-late OCT), but also would like to put in some brassicas without mowing down 6' green forage to plant brassicas in MId August. IF they are RR or Liberty Link (or if you start selling a 3 pre (metrobuzine, and yellow, and a PPO) (Fierce MTZ??)l herbicide package in foodplotter size packages

• Sitka Gear