Bill Obeid 11-Oct-17
Crusader dad 11-Oct-17
Ollie 11-Oct-17
11-Oct-17

Ned's embedded Photo
Boasts 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
Ned's embedded Photo
Boasts 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
This add speaks for itself. I personally have nothing against crossguns or the folks who hunt with them, I just don't think they belong in the archery season.

11-Oct-17
What's next?

11-Oct-17
There are various national and state archery organizations which have considered the crossbow as archery tackle and have promoted its use during the bowhunting seasons. Now that the crossbow has been successfully reintroduced as a hunting weapon the truth is coming out and even the crossbow manufacturers are calling it what it is,...look at the title of the ad!

11-Oct-17
I'm not a fan myself but they are not rifles and they don't extend shooting range past an extremely proficient compound archer's ability.

The sky is not falling guys. I have no desire to ever touch one but others do and hunting won't be destroyed by the crossbow.

11-Oct-17
Now that's cool! :)

11-Oct-17
Great ad. I used mine, just last night. I reached out to 32-yards and killed a fat doe almost as easily as I could have with a longbow or recurve.

11-Oct-17
100-200 yds 1-3 inch circle yes that is a rifle.. don't kid yourself.

11-Oct-17
Bowfreak +1

11-Oct-17
No, the sky isn't falling. When they pave a road to the top of Mt Everest, climbers can still choose to get up there on foot. Just have to wait longer in line to have your buddy take a picture of you at the peak due to the crowds. Good news is there will be a Starbucks and a warm latte can help take the edge off the chill. :^)

11-Oct-17
Hmmmm because an advertiser is gearing to the ignorant of trying to hype a crossbow as effectively as a rifle doesn’t make it true!

Crossbows have been legal in the general archery season here in Ohio since 19776 that’s 41 consecutive years.

Ohio has and will continue to be one of the top states in the country for whitetail.

That photo is a marketing ad nothing else.

11-Oct-17
Tonybears-I have a financial opportunity for you. I have a TenPoint crossbow-one of the top of the line. I will place an 8" paper plate at 100-yards and hand you the crossbow. I will then, give you 10-arrows/bolts with field points. I will pay you $100 for every one you can put in the plate. You give me $10 for every miss. You will be shooting offhand, just as you would with a rifle. Should be easy money, right? Come on down. Oh, I will also allow you to adjust the sights any way you want.

11-Oct-17
I think we have been over this many times on this forum. If you use a crossbow, you are a crossbow hunter, NOT a bowhunter. If you write about crossbows, and use crossbows you are a crossbowriter. I guess crossbow kill pictures are allowed on Bowsite, especially youngsters and older people, as well as hunters with restrictions. Maybe other hunters too, I do not know. Not supposed to advertise them though. This was posted by Pat last week in another thread.

As some have stated, crossbows have been a part of hunting for thousands of years. Ya right, just like the one pictured. I will continue on with my osage selfbow, we lost our battle many moons ago. Good hunting to all.

11-Oct-17
Because of the range some of those cross guns shoot (my buddy says he can hit at 125yds with his recurve style crossgun) I say they should only be legal in a season where everyone is wearing Blaze orange,,, other than that IDC use what you want.

11-Oct-17
One nice thing about crossbows...... with the extended range they eliminate the need for tree stands and other bulky blinds. Some of my kid hunters, who are no longer bowhunters, sit on the edges of plots and fields on a stump or folding stool and plunk deer all the way out to 75 yards with no problem, longer in correct conditions. On elk size targets in low wind conditions their limit would be around 125 yards. They are not bowhunters, but are damn good crossbow hunters.

11-Oct-17
Just more excuses for gun hunters to hunt during bow seasons. Might as well just use a 30-06. Probably time to start lobbying game managers to create more primitive weapons seasons and areas.

11-Oct-17
Bowwriter- I would take that bet in a heartbeat! That means I only have to hit 1 bullseye(out of 10) to be ahead. But why do I have to shoot offhand? Why can't I use it like most crossgunners do and shoot off the rail of my treestand???

And anybody that says shooting a scoped crossbow that is pre-loaded AND pre-cocked has NO advantage over a compound or stickbow is just not being honest!(especially when it comes to HUNTING!)

11-Oct-17
Actually, I would wager to bet that with the increased and now almost universal acceptance of crossbows in archery,........ we MAY see an increase in "archery only" or "archery predominantly" hunting units, and a decrease in gun hunting opportunity. Archery only, or archery predominantly, units are already common in the west. Montana GMU 410 is one example of a predominantly archery GMU for elk. Crossbows are a game changer for hunting opportunity,....... good or bad? Think big, think beyond whitetail in your little area.

11-Oct-17
You can say they same thing about compguns. And most did when they first came out.

11-Oct-17
What does it all mean? Nobody knows yet!

If you value bowhunting, make bowhunting great again by joining the P&Y club, Compton's, or other pro bowhunting organizations. Crossbows are not going away, but you can try and maintain the real bowhunting culture, at least for another decade or two..

11-Oct-17
It is not only the range that makes them more effective, it is the lack of movement you have because you do not have to draw the bow . Many deer escape every year because they catch the movement of the bow being drawn . With the cross bow they never know anything till it is to late . Yes we lost the battle long ago and some will never get that fact . They should certainly be in season were orange has to be worn . All you have to do is follow the money . Our wildlife is being sold off wholesale all across the country now . Tennessee has been doing this for years. I remember a conversation I had with TWRA 's executive director over 25 years ago when he said that Tennessee was the envy of all the other state agencies in the country . Sadly he was referring to how much money they had in there budget, not how well they managed the wildlife. This cancer has now spread across our country .

11-Oct-17
I like them. Gets guys out of the woods quicker when they tag out in a day or two with a fat doe.

11-Oct-17
Here is a nagging question from me for the P&Y club. Many guys on this very board and forum have maintained that the club is not about honoring the hunter, but really about honoring the animal. If this is true, wouldn't it be more honorable to have died from a 100 yard crossbow shot than a tweny yard shot in front of a body stinking, hand motioned compound shooter? If you are honoring an animal, why does it matter how that animal was killed? Didn't the animal already do it's part by surviving, eating and growing large?

Off track a little I know, just providing a question for thought. I have been confused by this concept for many years.

11-Oct-17
In all fairness, a lot of the guys couldn't hit the plate offhand with a rifle. ;^) Heck depending on what caliber you give me and the specs of the gun, I wouldn't guarantee it myself.

I thought the sky fell when self-bow guys started shooting recguns and longborifles. See how silly that makes one seem?

11-Oct-17
AMEN ACB! That's what I was referring to in my last post. Happened to me already this season- got spotted by a doe trying to draw on her. Had I had a crossbow and able to point it at her from the first moment I saw her, it would have been a very different outcome! ;-)

But that's part of bowhunting and I accept that. But just don't try to tell me it's the same thing whether I use a crossbow or a compound!

11-Oct-17
That thing looks like it would kick like a mule!

Are the limbs pulled all the way back to the stock ?

11-Oct-17

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
Crusader dad's embedded Photo
I wonder how this guy likes his xgun now.

11-Oct-17
Get so tired of the comments that a scoped crossbow is no more accurate than top compound shooters. How many archers/bowhunters qualify as a top-shooter? People use rests when shooting their crossbows to improve accuracy, just like most knowledgeable gun hunters do!

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear