Nick Muche 12-Oct-17
Hawkeye 12-Oct-17
Zackman 12-Oct-17
ahunter55 12-Oct-17
ahunter55 12-Oct-17
GF 13-Oct-17
Treeline 14-Oct-17
11-Oct-17
Finally got a Utah Bison tag for the Book Cliff Horse Bench hunt. What surprised me was talking to friends who had shot Alberta buffalo was the problem they had in swiftly killing them. I mean these are veteran hunters. I feel a little intimidated in that I know these hunters are excellent and guided but raises my intenna. I expect a well placed 525 grain arrow with 4 blade stinger to get this done. I am guessing they might be similar to a MTN goat in that you need to shoot them forward but not high. Any insight on this hunt? Waited 21 years!

11-Oct-17
I think that setup will be fine!

11-Oct-17
Bring a big quiver...

11-Oct-17
I have no clue, but wanted to wish you good luck on the hunt!

12-Oct-17
I'm with Ermine..... sounds like good bison medicine to me. Far better than a 380 grain rage........ =D

12-Oct-17

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Just made these up and will be testing them this weekend.
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Just made these up and will be testing them this weekend.
Just to add one more to the mix, I’m currently trying to decide between two different arrow setups for this December’s Buffalo hunt. .

Will be using my longbow and I’v narrowed it down to either a 300 grain Tuffhead on a .340 FMJ shaft, or a self made custom footed Douglas fir arrow with a 145 grain Eclipse 2 blade broadhead. Both arrow setups will weigh in at 680-685 grains.

I have full confidence in both setups and just need to decide which one flys the best...consistently...for me.

12-Oct-17

elkstabber's Link
This is great! Buffalo and bows and arrows go together like beer and pizza.

My experience was that a good shot will put a buffalo down FAST! Faster than you would think. Here is my buffalo hunt from 2014.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

12-Oct-17
Magnus stinger was what I used, and it worked very quickly. Hit them in the lungs and they don't go far, and I've seen several like this. like pronghorn, they live in open places. You won't lose one.

12-Oct-17
Hit it good with the first arrow. My cow from WY was down in way less than 30 seconds. The next day I watched a guy put 4 deer slugs out of a 12 gauge in the chest of another cow (short range weapon area on the NER in WY) and the thing just started walking. 45 minutes later and probably at least a mile loop later he put a finishing shot on it. I had heard the horror stories of how they can abosorb hits, but if you get two holes in the chest, their lungs collapse before the adrenaline rush hits them. I shot mine with a 508 grain Axis arrow with a RazorTrick by SlickTrick. Complete pass-thru.

12-Oct-17
I killed one with one shot to the boiler room. 62# compound shooting 55/75 GT with 125 gr. Magnus BH.

Both lungs and BH buried in opposite shoulder bone.

12-Oct-17
I'm headed to AZ in a few weeks with a cow tag in my pocket (man those tags are expensive!) and will be shooting a 560 grain arrow topped off with a 150 grain two blade German Kinetic. Arrow will be traveling at 260 FPS and I expect good results. I've bought the heads years ago when I was buying everything in sight and never really had a good reason to use them until now.

A good friend of mine hunted water buffalo in Australia and shot one with his bow and the bull didn't really know he was hit. His partner later shot one with a rifle in the right spot and the bull traveled a long ways. Adrenaline can definitely have an impact.

Good luck on your hunt. I'm sure your setup will work just fine!

12-Oct-17
Shoot a heavy arrow with a good, sharp cut on contract broadhead and you should be fine provided you are accurate with your shot placement.

12-Oct-17
Pat took the words right off my keyboard....good luck

12-Oct-17

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
I used a 460 grain setup with a 100 grain Kudu point, out of a 60 lb bow. I think shot placement is crucial, I'd imagine they can go a long ways with a marginal shot. Luckily I shot the top of his heart off. Best of luck!

12-Oct-17
Your setup is great. I've killed two. One took took longer unfortunately-but my arrow was much lighter. The other passed quickly, and so did my arrow-the arrow weighing around 500 grains. Lower third and you'll be fine. I honestly feel any sturdy FIXED blade and arrows over 450 will be just fine. Arrow placement is key. Congrats and good luck hunting a truly iconic animal.

12-Oct-17

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
Here are two of my arrows in a bull's chest. Watched him live for a little while after that still even though he went only 60 yards. Arrows were 450 grain out of a 71-pound bow and 3-blade G5 Montec CS

12-Oct-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I used a 3 blade fixed 125 gr Rocky Mountain Ironhead on a 2219 Aluminum. 42 yard pass through Double Lungs with 60# Darton on this Cow.

12-Oct-17

Daughter 6 years later took a Cow at 25 yds 3 blade Rocky Mountain 125 gr. Premier. Heart shot, to the fletch (25" Penetration approx.) & a 2219 also. Crashed 60 yds away.

13-Oct-17
I saw the mass of the arrow, but not the draw weight of the bow... But you couldn't pay me to stand in front of of a good, sharp 525 grain arrow out of a kiddie bow.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Ace Super Express. Talk about throwing a hatchet....

14-Oct-17
Lots of good info out there these days about setting up a great arrow for really big game.

I shot a Buffalo with my longbow and had great performance with a heavyweight setup - carbon express 350 with a weight tube and a 250 grain two blade up front weighing 725grains off a 60 pound bow. Blew through and stuck in the ground 20 yards on the other side. Broke a rib going in and cut two going out. Dash and crash in under 100 yards. Mass really makes a difference.

My buddy shot his with a 70 pound compound and 400 grain arrow with 3 blade 125 grain broadheads. Took 3 arrows and only one passed thru (low neck shot).

• Sitka Gear