Buffalo1 12-Oct-17
Buskill 12-Oct-17
cnelk 12-Oct-17
drycreek 12-Oct-17
Franklin 12-Oct-17
Buffalo1 13-Oct-17
drycreek 13-Oct-17
12-Oct-17
Does anyone have first hand experience of using a metal storage building for a camphouse? If you, would like to hear your story or ideas. Size of building, thickness of metal, insulated or uninsulated, layout plan, life of building. Thanks

12-Oct-17
I used to hunt with a group of guys that did this . The property had a metal building / barn on it . I'd say 25' wide 40' long. It was really just a storage area 50 weeks out of the year but for two weeks it was deer camp . Each guy had a cot or a thick roll of foam padding to sleep on . I cannot remember their heat source but I'm thinking it was one or two kerosene heaters . Seemed warm enough . Had a 4 person table to eat at or play cards and an old couch to lounge on . I hunted there some but never spent the night cause I lived a 1/2 hour away . They seemed to love it .

12-Oct-17
A non-insulated metal building will drip condensation like you wouldnt believe. At minimum insulate the roof

12-Oct-17
Greg, are you talking about a shipping container or just a wood frame, metal clad portable building ? Either one can be used but as cnelk said, they need insulation. Three quarter inch foam board would be enough to prevent condensation, but batt insulation would be better. If going the shipping container route, you could fab up walls on the inside and only lose 8/10 inches of width. There are some threads on TexasBowhunter about that I think.

12-Oct-17
I would use the metal pole barn with closed cell spray foam insulation. I went on a hunt in the NWT where all the cabins and cook house were those round corn or grain cribs because of the Grizzlies.....actually worked out great.

13-Oct-17
Think I better clarify structure size - 10 x 12 or a 12 x 16 foot metal storage building.

Greatest animal threat would be cows as building would be located in a pasture next to a barn.

13-Oct-17
^^^^ I don't see why not. The guys that hunted my place before I bought it were a couple of older guys and they camped in a 14'x20' wood framed, metal clad building. I still have it in fact and store some stuff in it. They had it in the middle of the place and used a small propane tank, a heater, and a two burner fish fryer to cook on. A Coleman lantern provided light. Had two small beds in there and a small table. All the comforts of home !

• Sitka Gear