Tracker 17-Oct-17
Buyse 17-Oct-17
Surfbow 19-Oct-17
Bowfreak 20-Oct-17
Rut Nut 20-Oct-17
Bill Obeid 20-Oct-17
Z Barebow 20-Oct-17
15-Oct-17
SO we have a massive wall tent that is heavy, hard to move and takes a long time to set up etc. Is only a good option for a long stay like a week... I need something else that is faster to set up has room for 2 adults and 2 kids and would really like to keep my stove as I hate using propane heaters... So what do you think?

12x12 Ultimate Alaknak Kodiak 10x14 Springbar Seek 12 man Teepee

I am open to options. Really want a tent that can easily fit in my blazer or small trailer.

15-Oct-17
I have the Cabelas Bighorn. I also used the Alaknak 12x12. If you will have 4 cots in there, the Alaknak would be my choice. Still tight when you carve out room for the stove . The Bighorn works good but with 4 cots it gets cramped.

15-Oct-17
Thanks GLunt. My kids have a bunk set of cots. and my wife and I sleep on the ground in a double bag... Does that make much difference? How big is the Big Horn all folded up?

16-Oct-17
Two bags, one for the tent and one for poles. The poles are sort of cumbersome, they are larger and their bag is about 30" x 12". The tent bag is about 30" x 16". Thats just a guess looking at them on the garage shelf.

I think you would be fine on room with that setup but I just looked at Cabelas site and it says not available online and doesn't show a price? Maybe getting discontinued.

16-Oct-17
Dang shame if Cabelas discontinues the Bighorn. Great base camp tent. First year I owned mine, the guys in Colorado camped next door dubbed mine the "Tent Majal".

16-Oct-17

Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
I can have this tent up in less then 5 minutes, with a single pole and about 16 stakes. Its a 14x14 canvas pyramid tent.

16-Oct-17
Not sure how old your kids are, but its been my experience that as the kids get older you will want 2 tents.

Then you and mama can enjoy the outdoors in one and the kids in another.

16-Oct-17
Hard to imagine even having bunks for the kids that you could have 3 and a stove in a 12x14 kodiak. Yes of it is just a buddy heater but think a wood stove would eat up too much space. There recently was a 12x14 kodiak with a wood stove jack on another forum classifieds though.

16-Oct-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
14'X14' Eena TT from Beckal Canvass. I can set mine up myself in half hour. Single pole and the fly can be used in wet weather or pitched separately as a shelter. The "roof" is still canvass.

Lots of outfitters that use horses or small aircraft use this model for its pack ability and weight. No frames to pack or trees to cut for a frame like a traditional cabin style wall tent. You give up head room close to the sides though.

Breathable and well vented. I use a wood stove made from a thirty pound propane tank and so far that's been good down to the low teens with one early morning refill. Wood heat dries gear out so fast to.

Doing it again, I think I'd put the stove jack in one front door flap.

16-Oct-17
I will second the Bighorn. It is a great tent, and with a bunk bed you will have room. I also have a tent that Tony posted. I don't think it would be possible to get four people in there and a stove. Awesome tent though for 1 or 2.

16-Oct-17
I have a Springbar, 8' x 10'. It would be too small, but a larger one should be available. Real pleased with it. Sets up in about 10 minutes. Made in the USA.

16-Oct-17
I'd have to say get the Alaknak. Spent over a week in my brothers in Wyoming about a month ago and it's really a well designed tent. Well thought out. Get a tent with side walls...so much more usable space than a straight teepee style.

Agree on the wall tent, I've got a 14x17 Montana Canvas and it's a bugger to move around. The tent weighs 92# and the aluminum frame about 80#.

16-Oct-17
Alaknak with the vestibule will work!

16-Oct-17
Set up time wise the Alaknak is not going to be much quicker but it will be lighter. I bought a 12x14 and wood stove originally and have since bought a propane heater too. If I could have a do over I would have bought a Springbar and skipped the wood stove. I live in AZ though so your situation could be different regarding wood vs propane heat.

16-Oct-17
12 x 20 Alaknak this year for us. Great tent. Pretty easy setup and very comfortable. It was easier to set up than the alaskan guide we use. Only spent a few nights in it as we spiked out a bunch, but I certainly couldn't complain.

16-Oct-17
Look into www.walltentshop.com. I am very happy with mine good luck

16-Oct-17
If you're space and weight limited, as I am with a Grand Cherokee instead of a F-350 to haul my gear, the Kifaru tipis are incredible. Stove collapses to the size of a big laptop. Tents weighs less than 1 lb/person rating. I don't know where in Colorado you are, but Kifaru is in Wheatridge, and there are plenty of tipis in the state. They do have a May rendezvous SW of Denver, where you could see and try them out.

16-Oct-17
snowtrekker tents

16-Oct-17
Me, my son, and my 2 grandsons spent 5 nights late last December in a 10X14 Kodiak Canvas tent. We had 4 cots and used a small buddy heater in the morning and just before bed. There was very little room for anything but sleeping but we needed very little room for anything but sleeping. We were bird hunting during the day. I love my Kodiak Canvas tent.

16-Oct-17
I just bought a Seek Outside 12 man this summer. Worked great for family camping trips. Just got back from my back country solo elk trip and sat out a mountain blizzard with it. Absolutely love that tent. If you do go the tipi route I would recommend getting some longer stakes as mine pulled out with high winds after the snow melted and the ground was soft. The small 6" aluminums are great for most applications, but not soft ground. Found out the hard way. Other than that a great setup. If you have more than 2-3 people with cots and gear I would bump up to a 16 man for sure though. I used my homemade wood stove with no trouble and also employed the propane stove which was a great addition. Certainly there are pros and cons such as the thinner walls not holding the heat as well, and the taller peak having heat rise, but my tent also weighs 12 lbs and is very compact as opposed to the heavy, bulky canvas tents.

17-Oct-17
Kifaru tipis are pretty sweet. Essentially a ultra lightweight wall tent. Packs up and set up quick. They have all different sizes. I have a 12 man tipi. It is a 4 season shelter. Really works well for 4-6 guys and gear

17-Oct-17
Received a Cabelas sale flyer in the mail last night....and it lists the Big Horn 3 currently on sale. Still not seeing it available online though?

17-Oct-17
Was going to say the same thing pav. Got that flyer and seen the Bighorn 3 tent on clearance.

17-Oct-17
Alaknak 12x12 easy to set up solo, Love it.

17-Oct-17

Rut Nut's Link

17-Oct-17
I've found that Cabela's doesn't stock all internet items in all stores and the internet may be out of items that are available in the store.

17-Oct-17
Check out the Spring Bar

17-Oct-17
Just seen the Cabelas add with the bighorn on sale, for what's is worth..

19-Oct-17
The Seek Outside tipis are awesome. I've used the Redcliff, Cimarron, and the 16-man. We had 5 guys, gear, and the stove set up in the 16-man, and still had a ton of room. We all could have been on cots if we wanted, easily. If you get a Seek tipi, get the bug mesh doors, a little airflow is great on warm days.

20-Oct-17
Not to hijack but what would you guys recommend for a truck camping tent that would double as a family tent to sleep 4 on either air mattresses or cots for early season? No need for a stove or anything like that.

20-Oct-17
You gonna sleep 4 in a truck bed?

20-Oct-17
When you are truck camping I can't imagine being any more comfortable using anything other than a cabin tent. 5' side wall. Without a stove you can sleep 4 comfortably starting at 12x14 and still have a substantial amount of room.

The only negative qualities to a cabin tent ( bulk and weight )are offset by the truck.

20-Oct-17

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Bowfreak- I am biased but I like my Kodiak tent (10x14). Use it for family camping in the summer (family of four, I use my cot at the others use air mattresses), and I use it for hunting in the fall. For heat in fall, I use a buddy heater with an external propane tank. (This is a pic from this years elk hunt)

• Sitka Gear