Matt 18-Oct-17
bighorn 18-Oct-17
Spookinelk 18-Oct-17
LBshooter 19-Oct-17
BULELK1 19-Oct-17
TXHunter 20-Oct-17
Bullhound 20-Oct-17
16-Oct-17
I ran into a friend of mine who is a ranch hand who told me a huge ranch not too far from him (South Central MT) sold it's hunting rights to the RMEF. The ranch is owned by retired astronaut, Frank Borman. It is a huge ranch known for trophy elk, mule deer and white tail. He then went on to say it is only for the RMEF executives. The first thing I thought if this is true and they are using RMEF membership money to fund this, it is a total outrage. Has anyone heard of them doing this? I cannot verify if this is %100 accurate but it is very concerning if so.

16-Oct-17
Hope not !!!!

16-Oct-17
I haven't heard of that. But would be very interested to find out the whole story(if there is one). But I doubt that organization would be dumb enough to use any money related to membership for something like that. At least I really hope not. I have been a member for years.

16-Oct-17
I give this about a 0.0000001% chance of having anything improper going on as far as RMEF funds are concerned.

16-Oct-17
Jason, It would seem logical to me if this is a concern to make a quick phone call (and report back the results) to the RMEF and ask to speak to one of the Senior Management team, rather than potentially creating a fictional firestorm on the internet.

RMEF: 406 523-4500

Mark

16-Oct-17
I will make you a sizable bet that this it totally untrue!

They said the same thing about the ranch in NM that was bought and it was totally false.

16-Oct-17
These rumors seem to pop up every year and are disproven every time. Did your buddy hear it at the local watering hole?

16-Oct-17
I once considered a position running one of the big ranches that had been donated to RMEF. One of the very first things brought up was that this was specifically not allowed.

I have heard a version of this story a few times over the last 30 years. No idea if it has ever happened or if its just speculation/gossip, but I know there was zero question about the rules with the property in my case.

I ended up taking myself out of the running (may not have gotten it anyway) due to family and my wife's career situation.

16-Oct-17
I can't imagine that this would be true.

16-Oct-17
Idyl, add a few more zeros for me!

16-Oct-17
Are these the same ranch hands that tell me I can’t hunt on their BLM land? :)

16-Oct-17
Why would you post accusations such as this when you admit that you are not 100% certain of what your buddy told you? This is how "fake news" gets started. RMEF often brokers the purchase of land considered critical for elk and other wildlife. Often this involves wintering grounds. They do this to keep the land out of the hands of developers who will chop up the property to put in a lot of gentlemen ranchettes. RMEF does a lot of very positive things for wildlife, especially for elk hunters.

16-Oct-17
Everyone hates "executives" until they are one. Executives are always up to no good doing things for "themselves" never have a foggin clue about what goes on on the shop floor, etc etc. Doubt there is any truth. Rumour usually starts by an off hand comment, then it gets repeated, then it's fact.

16-Oct-17
I have donated to the RMEF for over 10 years. I am in no way trying start "fake news." I know this website has a lot members with close ties to some influential conservation groups. I am honestly hoping to find out this is not true. Mark, I did take your advice and have left a message. I will post what I find out.

16-Oct-17
Newberg is on the Board. Pretty easy to get ahold of him.

16-Oct-17
Go back and listen to the Meateater Podcast episode with David Allen (president and CEO of RMEF). Pretty sure he talks about this exact rumor coming up all the time.

16-Oct-17
I don't believe this to be true either. However, if they are guilty, do you really think they will fess up when you give them a call? Come on.

16-Oct-17
I have a friend that`s involved....and some shifty nonsense occurred with the Tortensen ranch...aka RMEF HQs...in New Mexico years ago. I get some inside skinny and it is no different than any of these organizations....I`ll leave it at that.

16-Oct-17
I know the ranch and I know The former outfitter that had it. The RMEF leased the archery elk hunting rights. Their story is that the sponsors of the TV show paid the bill. That came from their CEO when I raised the question a few months back.

16-Oct-17
I would hope they wouldn’t use membership money and probably don’t

BUT I’m sure they get to hunt some pretty exclusive places based on networking and contacts in the industry

17-Oct-17
It wouldn't surprise me that top execs are taking advantage of their position in RMEF......someone needs to blow the whistle on this...or put it to rest.

this would be a good bowsite interview specifically asking the questions, "Have RMEF insiders used properties for their own use to hunt? " Of course phrase it 5 different ways so they can't spin it.

17-Oct-17
If memory serves, the Borman ranch sold several years ago. What the RMEF did with it, I don't know. I do know, they are bad to buy land and then close it to hunting. I have had long been suspicious of that organization and have heard some fairly credible stories.

17-Oct-17
I'm on the RMEF Board of Directors. As part of that I signed a statement agreeing to the prohibition against Board members doing what some seem to imply here. Never have hunted any "exclusive" properties and never will. I'm not aware of any fellow Board members who have done as is implied here.

Anyone with actual details of such, please post here or send me a private message, as being a member of the Board Executive and Governance Committees, I would want to know those details.

Happy Hunting to all.

17-Oct-17
Thanks for all you and the board do for elk and elk country Randy. Damn shame folks try to tear it all down with unfounded rumors but that seems to be the modus operandi anymore.

17-Oct-17
One thing you can count on is idiocy from bowriter.

17-Oct-17
Good to know Randy.

Can you definitively put these rumors to rest?

Can you say that no insider in the RMEF org. has ever hunted the ranches RMEF purchased, leased or wrote a conservation easement on?

17-Oct-17
" I have had long been suspicious of that organization and have heard some fairly credible stories"

Well there you go, we have some hearsay of "fairly" credible stories.

And since you said you know it for sure, please name at least 2 ranches that were bought and then closed to hunting. Inquiring minds want to know.

17-Oct-17
Randy,

I too would like to thank you for your dedication to serve the RMEF.

I've been a life member for a long time and ran my local chapter for a few years.

It's a great organization , with great people , working for a great cause.

17-Oct-17
Thanks for stepping in Randy. Better to get facts out there.....

I hope your seasons are going well! :)

17-Oct-17
Much appreciate the response Randy! Thanks for all you do!

17-Oct-17
Beendare, Do you have some actual evidence that would substantiate any of the above mentioned rumors that you are trying to start or perpetuate? If so please share! If you cant give us some evidence I'm going to go with what Mr. Newberg says.

17-Oct-17
hmmmmm who knows...not me but maybe a scenario like "hmmm are we interested in this property lets run it up the flag pole...lets go hunting to check it out...that could get a guy some pretty awesome hunts...kind of walking the edge....just sayin.... I don't know but it would be a "legit" way to get some great hunts the regular guy doesn't get...

17-Oct-17
RMEF is not acquiring property for the purpose of hunting big bulls. Generally , the millions of acres they have acquired is for protecting winter ranges and keeping migration routes intact.

17-Oct-17
This went south in a hurry. I was hoping for some healthy discussion. I think most of us are in the same camp regarding conservation and protecting the sport we love. I think we should hold each other accountable and be able to discuss these matters like adults. I appreciate your feedback Randy. Could you please expand on the RMEF's involvement in the Borman ranch. I would love to know the truth and pass it on to the local people that are concerned. Thanks.

17-Oct-17
And a FYI. I called the office in Missoula, MT and sent emails regarding this matter yesterday. I have not had a response as of yet. I will pass it on when I do.

17-Oct-17
All hunting licenses here in NM are a matter of public record. You just have to pay for them. If the Double H had any questionable actions you could request the records, pay for them, and have proof. Seems to me like anti's starting rumors to get people to quit contributing to one of the most powerful and proactive conservation/hunting organizations. Seems like no different than any outfitter leasing all the hunting rights to a ranch and then selling authorizations to hunt it. Where are the rumors about that?

17-Oct-17
What was the verse about faith the size of a mustard seed? You guys have no faith whatsoever.

Colorado recently did a hunter survey. The top 3 things hunters identified they cared about were habitat, access, and species management. RMEF is doing habitat work on the ground and conserving land in conservation easements lasting in perpetuity, and providing public access leading to long term sustainable populations of not only elk, but every other species on the landscape.

They also testify before our wildlife commission for the everyday DIY hunter.

Shame on you guys for caring more about rumors, and who gets to hunt where - rather than habitat, access, and conservation both of huntable species, and your hunting brothers. Sounds like my 11 year old who came home school today whining about so and so said. Worry about yourself.

17-Oct-17
I hope they just do one more great thing and not lease or acquire property for big wig hunting only.Some good orgs have screwed up on that issue.While the thread title is harsh,Beendare's query is very fair and shouldn't be hard to answer.

17-Oct-17
Nice fairy tale there Grasshopper but some on here have had ACTUAL experience with the RMEF and their properties....so be careful. People ARE worrying "about themselves" as they are contributing THEIR MONEY and if it`s being misapplied they have every right to question it.

17-Oct-17
Sorry, it don't work that way 'hopper. No one gives any of their money to be used to benefit anyone else individually, in the name of something else. Not saying that's what's going on here at all either. But, it certainly is easy enough to answer what is, as Genesis stated.

God Bless men

17-Oct-17
While I seriously doubt they do, I don't care if the top brass did get paid for hunts. Holy crap, they are putting thousands of elk on the landscape for all of us. In my opinion, you can't pay the CEO and the staff enough or give them enough benefits for what they are doing. I wasn't a member when RMEF was all about the species, but in recent years they have shifted the stance about wolves, and hunters and I am all for it.

All you guys whining about money not spent wisely need to volunteer for your state bowhunting organization, and start looking at the budgets of your game and fish for waste.

If you hunt Colorado, you must buy a habitat stamp, right now ~20% of that money is buying toilet paper for restrooms instead of conserving habitat or improving public access. Where is the outrage for a mandatory fee? The RMEF fee is optional.

I'll say it again, bunch of 11 year olds - worry about your own self, not where the CEO of RMEF hunts. He can come hunt my place anytime he wants for free

18-Oct-17
Buyse,

What the heck is there to discuss ? You need facts to hold someone accountable. Not just something you heard but don't know to be a fact. Why don't you tell us what you KNOW about the Borman ranch Jeff? All you did is get the other he said/ she said haters riled up without presenting anything actionable.

18-Oct-17
Spookin, you better reread my comments before you point fingers at me.

i have nothing but respect for Randy and the RMEF. I have supported RMEF for many years. This isnt a private company but a registered charity. I believe the donors are entitled to unequivocable answers not “ To my knowledge” semantics. We hear enough of that from our politicians.

I along with many others would like a simple answer once and for all.

18-Oct-17
Beendare,

So let me get this straight, RMEF needs to personally answer your question related to an unsubstantiated rumor on a Bowsite thread or you are going to keep spreading rumors? c'mon man!

If any of this stuff turns out to be true I'll be the first to apologize, and to beat the drum to run any execs involved out of the organization,but currently all I see happening is a Bowsite bashing with none of the bashers offering anything that would convince me that anything wrong is going on.

18-Oct-17
This thread is like CNN talking about Trump.

18-Oct-17
Beendare asked, "Can you definitively put these rumors to rest?

Can you say that no insider in the RMEF org. has ever hunted the ranches RMEF purchased, leased or wrote a conservation easement on?"

Just off a plane after three weeks on the road, so I'll give this my best shot before going to bed. Glad to answer any other questions tomorrow.

Since I've not been on the Board all 33 years of RMEF, only for five years, I cannot vouch for my time before being on the Board. I can tell you that one of the earliest resolutions adopted by RMEF is a prohibition against Board members accepting any special privileges as a result of their Board service.

I know I take that very seriously, as to my fellow Board members. I would be very surprised if any RMEF Board members have ever done as is being suggested. If I knew of it during my service on the Board, the matter would be dealt with very quickly, which is why I have asked here if people would provide the details. So far, no details, just a lot of "barstool" rumor. As probably the most visible and accessible Board member, I get this call/email regularly, more than any of my fellow Board members. Every time I ask for details. In five years of these discussions not a single person has provided a detail to support what they called or emailed about. Lots of accusations, but when asked for details, the line goes dead.

Not sure who you consider an "insider," but I'll make the assumption you are talking about Board members or CEO. A bit of background to that.

RMEF does not own any hunting property. They haven't since they received the Double HH Ranch in New Mexico as a restricted bequest from Mr. Torstenson. That property was sold in 2011 and all proceeds were put in an endowment where RMEF can only use 5% of the principal per year, restricted to only use on mission work and no overhead allocation is allowed. All other property RMEF buys are lands where an agreement is in place to turn it over to a State or Federal agency immediately upon RMEF taking title. Not sure where people get the idea that RMEF buys property for hunting by "insiders." It doesn't happen. It is against the by-laws and it would cause a serious hit to credibility.

RMEF does not write conservation easements. RMEF accepts conservation easements from private landowners. Some think conservation easements somehow convey title to the land. It does not. A CE transfers a property right, usually the development rights to a qualified charity, of which RMEF is a qualified charity. RMEF holds those rights in perpetuity and cannot exercise them. As such, the landowner can no longer develop their property, as they no longer hold the development rights, RMEF holds that right.

A property owner who donates a conservation easement can do as they please with the underlying land. RMEF has no right to access or otherwise tell the landowner what to do with the remaining property rights attached to the land. Some think conservation easements allow RMEF, or the public, to have hunting access. Not the case.

RMEF does operate the TV show, Team Elk. The topic that started this thread is about a property in Montana where Team Elk bought six archery elk hunts that were filmed for the Team Elk TV show. What the landowner wants to do with the remaining hunts, the rifle hunts, the deer hunts, the (insert hunt here), is up to him.

The Board requires Team Elk to break even, and hopefully turn a profit. Every cost of Team Elk is covered by sponsorship revenue, not a single dollar of member donations goes to Team Elk operations. Team Elk is in high demand from corporate sponsors, so it makes a profit; a profit that is used to help fund operations that go toward mission accomplishment. In addition to adding more dollars to mission revenue, Team Elk provides a level of exposure and awareness to the organization and its mission that would a fortune to go and pay for. I understand some still do not like certain aspects of the show. Point is, the folks running the RMEF Team Elk show have exceeded all expectations the Board has of them.

On Team Elk there are two main hosts paid for their work as would be any other media talent, Brandon Bates and Kristi Titus. Not sure if you consider them insiders. I don't and neither do our by-laws. They are paid talent to host a show. They do most the hunting on the episodes, or host the other hunters.

The CEO is asked to appear on episodes. His job description as provided by the Board is to be the face and voice of the organization. As such, we expect him to be on some of the Team Elk episodes. It is part of his job. Him doing what we ask him to do as the face and voice of the organization is not what I consider "insider" activity, nor do our bylaws.

I take my role as a Board member very seriously, as do all my fellow Board members. If something was going on that was in violation of bylaws, policies, or governance, I would want to know about it. To the dedicated volunteers, generous donors, corporate sponsors, and all level of RMEF members, we on the Board have a fiduciary duty to see that the organization does the greatest good with the assets and resources available.

In case some are wondering, being on the RMEF Board is a volunteer position. You pay all your expenses out of pocket; travel motels, meals, etc. You must make at least a $10,000 donation by the end of your first three-year term. You must attend many events in your area, national meetings, serve on three Board Committees, and you are prohibited from accepting any of the things rumored in this thread.

Not a single Board member I know, either current or past Board member, does this volunteer work for anything other than the passion for elk, other wildlife, hunting, and conservation. The same as all of you who volunteer for your organizations, rod and gun clubs, hunter ed instructors, scout group leaders, school events, etc.

RMEF has a pretty good track record to benefit elk, other wildlife, their habitat, and our hunting heritage. RMEF, and project partners, have conserved almost 8 million acres of elk habitat, opened/improved public access to almost 1 million acres that all people can now use, is in the best financial position it has ever been in and is getting better each year, has set new membership records for the last six years, now has over 220,000 members, with over 11,000 volunteers.

Not sure if that is a complete enough answer. And if anyone has details, rather than "stories" (term used above), please let me know. If there is any substance to the claim and evidence was provided to me, the matter would be taken care of quickly.

Good luck this season.

18-Oct-17
Why is it people think they can post hearsay on the internet and then expect everyone but themselves to act like an adult?

18-Oct-17
Randy, thx for the clarification.

I listened to the 2 hr meateater podcast featuring David Allen and came away more impressed with RMEF than ever. David Allen mentions at 40 min he turns down great hunt offers so there is no chance of impropriety. He does a good job of detailing the RMEF mission at about the 1:20 mark... especially their emphasis on hunter access.

I came away from that podcast and your post above Randy feeling better about RMEF than ever. 89% of money donated goes to mission- an incredible %. The bulk of property is either habitat easements or public managed.

Its good to know RMEF is of the highest integrity.

18-Oct-17
Big Fin, with all you just said and explained, I will be Joining RMEF, I am leery of many orgs, as I have found a lot of them seem to benefit the people serving on the board, but from what I have seen, and the numbers for what goes back to the goal of RMEF, this org seems to be grounded in the root cause of "Habitat conservation" and that is a win win for every hunter out there, even if they are not an elk hunter.

18-Oct-17
the thread title needs to be changed. crap like this gets thrown out here with no recourse and no repercussions to the original poster or people like bowriter who pile on unsubstantiated accusations for no other reason and they like to hear themselves talk. Just think that a person like that has made their living writing and informing Hunters is a stain on all of us.

18-Oct-17
RMEF Scam?

Do you work for CNN?

18-Oct-17
I agree with trial.

18-Oct-17
After filtering through all the nonsense..........this thread still gave the Big Fin & RMEF a platform to clarify the good RMEF does and how they do it.

If you are involved with RMEF , The Wild Sheep Foundation , or some other conservation organization you are well aware of the good they are doing. If you are not involved , I encourage everyone to contribute. If you hunt elk , at least join RMEF. If you're a sheep hunter at least be a member of WSF.

These organizations are protecting our hunting and hunting resources for future generations. If you are a passionate bow hunter and you have time , contribute your time. You will get a first hand view of what other passionate , energetic people are doing on your behalf. And it is it's own reward.

18-Oct-17
Amen Bill ^^^

18-Oct-17
From what I have seen and heard RMEF has a stellar reputation. I was even surprised to see this thread!

And what is wrong with the board members getting together and buying a Ranch to hunt on with THEIR OWN money?????? I could see an issue with using RMEF funds to do so, but who the hell cares if they use their own money and do the same thing? I just don't understand some of the attitudes on Bowsite!

18-Oct-17
When I was a little kid in school. (still in the Fountain pen era) a grade four or five teacher did a lesson on "oral stories".

She wrote down a very short story about two people and an event. She gave the story to the first person in the row to read. That person had to quietly relay the story to the person behind them. And so on. The last person in the row had to write down the story and hand it to the teacher. She then read aloud the original, followed by the returned stories. The story had usually changed dramatically. With enough people the original tale was not even recognizable.

Seems people just cannot keep themselves from adding just a bit to make their story a bit more interesting.

And it gets way better if there is beer, fishing or hunting involved!

18-Oct-17
Well I am not a RMEF member but if I were and I was hearing allegations of mismanagement by board members I would want proof that this type of behavior is/isn't going on. I would not rest on past reputation because as most of us know power corrupts, and those in power get a sense of entitlement, and take advantage. If the boards members are being accused of misbehavior than it is up to them to make every effort to prove that no such behavior is going on, otherwise they hurt their own cause. Members are owed full disclosure and proof that the leaders of their organization are being honest so regardless of what your gut tells you it means nothing unless proof is shown. Having someone like Randy Newberg on the board goes along way but history has shown even the good guys fall victim to corruption.

18-Oct-17
Interesting. I wonder why you have to make a $10,000 donation after a three year term. Seems that would rule out a lot of very good qualified people to serve on the board.

18-Oct-17
Let's see...you start a thread and title it "RMEF Scam?" and then get upset when people call you out for providing no facts. And pretend that you are just looking for information to resolve the rumor you heard. Right!

18-Oct-17
Well I am not a RMEF member but if I were and I was hearing allegations of mismanagement by board members I would want proof that this type of behavior is/isn't going on. I would not rest on past reputation because as most of us know power corrupts, and those in power get a sense of entitlement, and take advantage. If the boards members are being accused of misbehavior than it is up to them to make every effort to prove that no such behavior is going on, otherwise they hurt their own cause. Members are owed full disclosure and proof that the leaders of their organization are being honest so regardless of what your gut tells you it means nothing unless proof is shown. Having someone like Randy Newberg on the board goes along way but history has shown even the good guys fall victim to corruption.

18-Oct-17
I agree the $10,000 donation is very strange. You have to pay to be on the board? When the CEO "appears" on the Team Elk show, is he hunting? If he is it does look like like a serious conflict of interest. If he is just being a spokes person for the organization that is great. I am a RMEF member, I've been to the HQ in Missoula, I am happy with what the group does and this tread does not sway me the least bit away from supporting them.

18-Oct-17
Do any of you guys have to go to your state game office every year, after the season, and provide proof that you didn't poach.

Or is it more reasonable to expect that you be considered innocent until proven guilty? Or at least until enough evidence is provided to substantiate charges.

18-Oct-17
If there are allegations of misconduct and corruption and you would like proof of such, why not expect proof from the accuser!

Corruption and abuse of power may be prevalent in government and high-paying private-sector jobs, but these people that are running conservation organizations are often times volunteers or receiving pay well below what they could receive in the private sector.

I imagine corruption can occur anywhere. , Let the accused defend themselves, at least, after the accuser has shown substantial proof of corruption. None of that exists in this thread

18-Oct-17
Transparency. There isn't enough of it in our society. We as donors have a right to ask tough questions. Voters too...for that matter.

I am very happy to report that in my investigations.....RMEF passes muster with flying colors. I'm proud to be a supporter. BTW, after my research, even if it popped up that someone somewhere slid in and hunted a property....i would consider it an outlier [crap happens] RMEF has strict mechanisms in place with people of integrity in management. I wouldn't judge the 'Whole' over an isolated case.

Now is this thread title "fake news"...you bet. Quite possibly there is a mechanism here to revise that thread title to something more appropriate reflecting a question...rather than an outright accusation....say, "RMEF....rumors or fake news?"

18-Oct-17

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
If you rely on ranch hands for real estate info i have a link you may like.

18-Oct-17
I like a lot of the work that RMEF does, but asking valid questions should not be considered a bad thing - it works as kind of a "checks and balances" mechanism and should be welcomed.

Speaking of valid questions, I'm wondering is someone (BIG FIN....?) can answer one sincere one from me:

Who were the six hunters who got to hunt the Montana elk property for the Team Elk TV Show.....?

18-Oct-17
It's not true, but what they do actually do is roughly the same thing in a different package. Think all the millions of acres of land our dollars have "saved"... How many are "you" aloud to hunt? Because I see that David tool bag hunting pretty much all of it... JS (I am and have been a member since the year the RMEF was created)

18-Oct-17
Been a member of RMEF since '89, proud of it, and never suspected any type of corruption within. They are conserving and improving what all hunters and conservationists desire. Wildlife habitat and access to it. Top notch organization.

18-Oct-17
I did not know much about RMEF before, but it sounds like a well run charity with extremely dedicated Board members. Having to pony up $10K certainly keeps those not fully dedicated to the mission from applying, at least I would think.

Thank you guys for your selfless service!

18-Oct-17
https://oldmanoftheski.com/2016/07/11/rmef-a-wolf-in-elk-clothing/

18-Oct-17
"Who were the six hunters who got to hunt the Montana elk property for the Team Elk TV Show.....?"

Not sure, but it wouldn't bother me if someone who had done a lot of work in the organization was allowed to hunt to produce a TV show that promotes the values that RMEF does.

"I like a lot of the work that RMEF does, but asking valid questions should not be considered a bad thing - it works as kind of a "checks and balances" mechanism and should be welcomed"

Valid QUESTIONS are welcomed. Rumored accusations about wrongdoing are counterproductive unless you have some proof they occurred

I heard a rumor that "A Bowsite Poster" beats his wife! If that accusation was made about you, how do you prove it is false? Even if your wife testifies that you never beat her, we know that beaten women lie so that is not really proof. Proving that something that didn't happen REALLY didn't happen is not that easy. So unless you have some real proof (documents, emails, photos) that wrongdoing actually happened, you are just a gossip.

Compared to a lot of organizations (Don Peavy's SFW for example), RMEF is very transparent. Watchdog reviews show 89 cents out of every dollar go to projects and only 11 cents to administration (salaries, buildings, etc). Pretty hard to beat that

18-Oct-17
You don't have to prove that you dont beat your wife because people don't donate monies for you not to beat her. Organizations the solicit money to buy up land have a duty to show that certain individuals aren't abusing the trust. Now, with all the land that RMEF buys up, who exactly gets to hunt the properties? Do they allow members to enter into a drawing each year to hunt the properties ? Are these privately own areas that are paid to grow elk and allow no hunting? I know DU gives grant money for land owners to improve their properties and yet the land owner has no obligation to allow members to hunt it. When I was a member of DU and heard of this I stopped being a member, the fix was in. Funny how the grant money was given to put in water system to flood areas etc... And the officers of the area were hunting that property. Things do happen and if the tv show hosts are hunting these properties it seems a bit odd.

18-Oct-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The RMEF played a huge role in making this hunt happen. Through our local chapter, their banquets, the Bugle, and the incredible habitat work they've done in my state it planted the seed that became the dream of hunting elk for my little girl and lots of other elk hunters. I'm okay with asking questions. They've been answered over and over regarding this topic with RMEF. After all I've seen and experienced through the elk foundation in the past year I plan to sign up as a life member at our next local chapter banquet and there is a good chance Half Pint will be one the year after that. Ask questions, but don't ask them in a way that the question itself becomes a way to discredit a person or an organization. That's the new way I guess, but it doesn't make it right.

18-Oct-17
RMEF Life member. I'm late to the discussion and it looks like it was all laid out plainly and the rumors squashed. RMEF is one of the best conservation and pro hunting organizations out there. Never would they do anything that operated conversely to either of those things. It's always best to follow up with them on wild rumors and speculation. (Although, I am convinced that their raffles are geared to exclude me from any prizes... ;-) )

18-Oct-17
Ollie- I think you misinterpreted what was said. The whole point of this thread was to get facts. I was referring to the name calling.

I think Randy explained the situation very thoroughly. I wish I could go back and rename the thread but I don't think that's possible. I don't regret starting dialogue about this topic. I will continue to be a member of the RMEF and I will continue to ask questions about concerns that arise. I will be more careful not to do so in an accusatory manner. The one thing I love about bowsite is the passion from hunters. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.

18-Oct-17
I have wondered about this same thing before...who hunts their property that we pay for ? I hope there isn't any back room BS going on ! It kind of reminds me of when my wife worked for a Fortune 500 company and they would always promote the United Way and encourage different groups within the company to be the highest donors. After many years of this, one year it comes out the CEO of United Way had been stealing millions donated dollars for himself . So with 100's of thousands of RMEF members, me being one of them, I don't the mind the question at all. Like someone else said...checks and balances . Just keep it in the open for all members to know, if they agree with it the stay a member and if they don't they move on.

18-Oct-17
Habitat for Wildlife, true, but you are leaving out a whole bunch or dedicated and potentially qualified people that can't afford to make a $10,000 donation.

18-Oct-17
LBShooter x2

I wish people would just read clearly and welcome dialog, instead of being so defensive. Then again, to each their own - however misguided.

18-Oct-17
Ollie- I think you misinterpreted what was said. The whole point of this thread was to get facts. I was referring to the name calling.

I think Randy explained the situation very thoroughly. I wish I could go back and rename the thread but I don't think that's possible. I don't regret starting dialogue about this topic. I will continue to be a member of the RMEF and I will continue to ask questions about concerns that arise. I will be more careful not to do so in an accusatory manner. The one thing I love about bowsite is the passion from hunters. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.

18-Oct-17
"I have wondered about this same thing before...who hunts their property that we pay for?"

The public. From Randy's response above: "RMEF does not own any hunting property. They haven't since they received the Double HH Ranch in New Mexico as a restricted bequest from Mr. Torstenson. That property was sold in 2011 and all proceeds were put in an endowment where RMEF can only use 5% of the principal per year, restricted to only use on mission work and no overhead allocation is allowed. All other property RMEF buys are lands where an agreement is in place to turn it over to a State or Federal agency immediately upon RMEF taking title. Not sure where people get the idea that RMEF buys property for hunting by "insiders." It doesn't happen. It is against the by-laws and it would cause a serious hit to credibility. "

Come on guys, read Randy's post. ALL of the questions were answered clearly and succinctly.

18-Oct-17
The real problem is in this day and age of the internet, fake news, facebook, TWITter, instagram etc........................... ANYBODY can make ANY outlandish accusation which can tarnish the accused FOREVER, even if it is eventually PROVEN FALSE!

How many of you would like to be accused of rape or child molestation and then have to PROVE it never happened? (And have to endure everything that goes along with that for the rest of your life)

Kind of what just happened here! ;-)

18-Oct-17
Brotsky, I remember what Bill Clinton said too...Checks and Balances.

18-Oct-17
Threads like these and the way they seem to unravel are helpful to get a glimpse of the way opinions are formed among some hunters.

In reading these comments since my post last night, I've seen two questions asked. Here are the answers I can provide.

Q1 - wild 1 asked "I'm wondering is someone (BIG FIN....?) can answer one sincere one from me: Who were the six hunters who got to hunt the Montana elk property for the Team Elk TV Show.....?"

A: I do not have that answer of specific names, but I know the way it works for the Team Elk TV show, similar to how it works for my TV show . Sponsors of the show request that one of their representatives have a chance to be on the TV show during the year to further communicate the company's support for conservation and build the partnership between the company and RMEF. I suspect these hunters were people who represent companies that are very large supporters of RMEF. That is how Team Elk is able to be profitable and get the large amount of exposure to the RMEF mission and accomplishments.

The area is a limited entry draw, so applications would have to be sent in early in the year and the people on that hunt would be those successful in drawing the tag.

I understand that some may not agree with how Team Elk guests are selected. Those guests are drawn from a pool of folks who can communicate the RMEF message, mostly long-time volunteers, corporate partners, and others who will bring more attention to the RMEF message.

Q2 - Elkman asked "It's not true, but what they do actually do is roughly the same thing in a different package. Think all the millions of acres of land our dollars have "saved"... How many are "you" aloud to hunt? Because I see that David tool bag hunting pretty much all of it... JS (I am and have been a member since the year the RMEF was created)"

A2: Every single acre of those lands secured under the RMEF access initiative is open to you, me, and anyone else. That is 1 million new acres of new/improved public access.

Of the 8 million acres conserved or on which habitat improvements have been done, almost every acre is public land open to hunters. A very small part of that 8 million includes the acres from conservation easements where private landowners transfer their development rights to RMEF and thereby agree to never develop their lands, which is very good for elk.

The largest partners of RMEF are the US Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and the state wildlife agencies. Every acre of lands that are enhanced and conserved through those projects are open to hunters who have the appropriate tag.

Q3 - (kind of a question) PECO commented, "When the CEO "appears" on the Team Elk show, is he hunting? If he is it does look like like a serious conflict of interest. If he is just being a spokes person for the organization that is great."

A3: That is part of the job as CEO, as required by the Board. He is hunting on some of those episodes. It is not a conflict of interest. Rather, it is him doing what the Board has instructed him to do as part of his job description. Conflict of interest would be if he was doing something that is outside his job description and did so for self-enrichment. That is not the case. Glad you continue to support RMEF.

As for transparency, I am happy to answer any questions folks have. RMEF's transparency can be supported by going to the website Charity Navigator. It not only grades non-profits according to their financial results, but analyzes their governance documents, Board policies, transparency, etc. RMEF is ranked very high by Charity Navigator.

Additionally, RMEF has internal auditors and outside auditors who are continually evaluating the processes and internal controls of the organization. As a CPA myself, I am impressed with the audit reports that we get from outside auditors, which is a reflection on the RMEF staff and the work they do. The level of transparency is very high.

For those wondering about the $10,000 donation requirement, that can be waived for those who are considered top Board candidates and for whom the donation would be a hardship. Most of the volunteers that have risen through the ranks and become Board members have long since passed that threshold in their many years of volunteerism.

I hope people understand that RMEF is an organization with over $90 million in assets. To accomplish that, it requires some amazing talent on the staff level. RMEF has the best staff I know of in the conservation world. They take their jobs seriously and they do one heck of a good job.

Thanks for all who support RMEF. No organization is perfect. No staff or Board are perfect. I accept that an organization, company, person, will never please every critic. I can tell you that having volunteered for many of the national organizations over the years, the RMEF staff and volunteers are top notch. Everyone of those staff and tireless volunteers have my respect.

Happy hunting!

18-Oct-17
I have no issue with this being brought up here. There are a lot of knowledgeable elk folks here that might have information to refute or support the rumor.

18-Oct-17
I just got off the phone with David Allen with the RMEF. He reiterated what Randy had stated in an earlier post. For what it's worth, It is clear to me that there was no wrong doing on their part. I am very impressed with how Randy and David approached this matter and were open to dialogue. I wish I could reword my message in the title and thread. I don't regret having questions and dialogue.

18-Oct-17
Big Fin - Thanks for answering, although ".....I don't have any specific names..." is more than just a little vague, I appreciate the effort!

Can you tell us if any of RMEF's executive staff were on that hunt.....?

18-Oct-17

Grasshopper's Link
My guy Carl Sutter is always timely with words of wisdom. Last Sunday, he had a great presentation on accusers, advocates, fisherman, and mustard seeds. If you've got 40 minutes, it is well worth it and might change your life. See the link.

Nobody is perfect, certainly not me - but faith the size of a mustard seed, and grace is available to all.

18-Oct-17
We have a long tradition in this country of the accuser being burdened with the duty of providing proof, not the accused. The courts, the constitution, all require the accuser to provide the proof, not the accused. There's a good reason for this. Institutions and government had been abusing citizens for centuries (ala the Spanish Inquisition - get accused of being a witch and confess and die or don't confess and die anyways righteously and go to heaven a martyr - either way you're accused and you die). Any A-Hole can relay hearsay and make stuff up.

I'd agree that answering questions is reasonable. But some are suggesting that RMEF show "proof," when there's not even an evidence-based accusation made... Give me a break. If you ask and the answer is no, then the answer is no. If you have some evidence to the contrary, then proof would be warranted.

Many have asked questions and the questions were answered. A few made baseless "Things are not on the up-and-up at RMEF...I heard from someone this, this, or that..." without a shred of evidence to back it up or even any details. Shame on you for smearing an upstanding organization with gossip and hearsay in such a childish manner. You have zero credibility.

And as far as Bowriter's BS link - RMEF is frantically trying to save what's left of elk habitat. Many of you easterners are used to your surroundings being cut and parceled up into tiny pieces of private property and it was like that your whole lives so that's your culture, but elk need vast wild spaces to thrive. They're not white tail. And the West is being lost by large ranches being sold one-at-a-time and being cut up into 40 acre ranchettes that squeeze elk out of what little bit of their range that they have left.

It is true that there are leftist folks that want to turn the bulk of the US back into what it was several hundred years ago, but that is not RMEF's mission or modus.

18-Oct-17
Wild1 asked, "Can you tell us if any of RMEF's executive staff were on that hunt.....?"

I can tell you that NONE of the RMEF executive staff were the hunters on the hunts you are asking about.

I am not trying to be vague. Do you have evidence to show that any RMEF executive staff were the hunters on those hunts?

Those hunts were filmed for Team Elk. Team Elk is a communications tool; a communications platform that is fortunate to have very high demand from industry partners, thus making it profitable and contributing to the money available for mission accomplishment. No membership money is used for anything that Team Elk does. Some might wish the manner for selecting guests was different. I get that. But when the average cost per episode is $20-30K to produce, edit, deliver, and buy airtime, it is something that must be done with significant planning and consideration.

I have produced outdoor TV for ten years. I am impressed with how RMEF is able to make Team Elk work the way it does. I wish I could create the sponsor demand, and therefore sponsor revenue, RMEF can obtain. In the process of producing the show, RMEF advocates for conservation and public access in a manner that raises awareness of our mission, and the Team Elk staff does that without incurring the hundreds of thousands of dollars to otherwise to purchase that level of exposure and awareness.

Good luck to all!

18-Oct-17
Big Fin -

Thanks for the answer. By the way, if I had any "evidence" I wouldn't be asking the question now, would I. Again, I appreciate your time and effort, no need to get defensive, it was just a sincere question, nothing more.

18-Oct-17
"...It is true that there are leftist folks that want to turn the bulk of the US back into what it was several hundred years ago..."

Most of those folks are sadly misguided. Their ideals are somewhat right (let wild lands exist), but they have a strange desire for everyone to live in a dense urban environment or an upscale ski lodge just at the edge of "nature" where they can safely and easily visit and watch "the wild" while enjoying every modern amenity. Think like whale watching or Antarctic tours. So its a wild place where no one lives but everyone visits and hangs out to watch it (with appropriately informed guides of course). Just so long as people aren't "using" the land, plants, and animals. It's an unfortunate condition of too many people isolated from the outdoors while constantly dripped a stream of half truths about the world.

18-Oct-17
Randy, sorry you had to take (waste) your time coming on here to straighten out the issues, but THANK YOU for doing it and for being an excellent ambassador for our sport.

Buyse, 3rd hand rumor mill is not the same as "starting a dialogue about this topic." That's bush league man. Maybe " I heard an unsubstantiated rumor and called the RMEF board first, before slinging mud on the internet, here's what I found..." would be a more appropriate way to start a thread!

18-Oct-17
"Randy, sorry you had to take (waste) your time coming on here to straighten out the issues, but THANK YOU for doing it and for being an excellent ambassador for our sport. "

+2- Randy must be a fast typist. (And have WAY more patience than I) I would not have given the comment one more second of time that it took me to read the comment. "Throwing sh!t against the wall and see what sticks" is not a discussion. A barstool comment is the definition of hearsay.

18-Oct-17
Randy- I appreciate you taking the time and effort to explain all these issues in detail. You could have taken the easy road and just stayed out of this whole mess, but you obviously have a lot of respect for your organization, the general hunting public and the resource to go out of your way to clear this up. That speaks volumes!

18-Oct-17
"Brotsky, I remember what Bill Clinton said too...Checks and Balances."

If you don't believe the answers when you get them straight from the elk's mouth as it were then why even ask the questions at all? Your mind is apparently already made up. You can choose to take the word of someone who has given us no reason not to trust him and the word of an organization that has been transparent, above board, and received incredibly good ratings from actual third party auditors or you can take the word of a ranch hand who heard from a guy who knew a dude that worked with the sister of a guy that once overheard a conversation about the RMEF. Checks and balances indeed.

18-Oct-17
I don't believe anyone.......not even the ranch hand.

18-Oct-17
Jdee, there is a reason ol billy boy was banging interns. Just sayin. It was pretty easy to tell when he was fibbing. His mouth was moving.

As for RMEF as well as Randy they get nothing but respect from me.

That reminds me I need to pay my dues again.

18-Oct-17
"I'm sorry but a lot of people here are, as usual, taking this out of context completely, guys riding shirt tails just to open their mouths. Nothing new here.. .above is the original post, take the time to read it and COMPREHEND IT before spouting off. Nothing of what is written is close to "throwing shit on the wall.....etc..". Its funny (actually sad) how some guys don't put on their tough guy britches until a punch is already thrown. "

From my keyboard, when someone titles a thread "RMEF SCAM?" and then repeats/publishes something he heard from someone, without one bit of documentation or corroboration,,,, well it looks like cr@p to me.

Per ohiohunter earlier post- "Agreed LB, apparently some guys don't know what a question mark is and a lot of guys here like to ride coat tails. If you heard your wife was sneaking over to the neighbors house from a reliable source wouldn't it raise some questions? But then again some guys let others think for them... I guess they'd wait until someone else initiated so they could interject.

Transparency is key. "

So if someone said a wife was sneaking around, your first step is to publicly look for corroboration on the internet? If my wife has never done anything to question her character and I post on the PUBLIC internet what one person said, wouldn't I be lower than low?

When you have a board member who comes on to thread and directly addresses the post author (And much more), the CEO takes a phone call and directly addresses the commentary, I guess I would describe this as being transparent.

RMEF undergoes annual audits. BigFin is an accountant in his day job. (Hell- Being accountable is his in his DNA!) vs a comment from one individual. Keep beating that horse if you think there is still any life left in it. For me, I will keep sending in my membership fees and reading Bugle. I am done.

18-Oct-17
"Nobody is perfect, certainly not me - but faith the size of a mustard seed, and grace is available to all."

I agree with that 100% but am another 100% sure you statement has 0% to do with what the gist of this inquiry was.

RMEF has put this to bed and took a unfair thread title and stepped up and made the org stronger in everyone's eyes.Kudos

18-Oct-17
Big Fin, first class response's man. There's no doubt a reason why you are what you are for public lands and, how effectively you achieve that goal. Top notch spokesperson for our cause. God bless men

18-Oct-17
Ohiohunter- I sure am glad you are here to straighten us all out! LMBO!

And I’m so glad we have so many self-appointed experts here to keep us all informed as to what is a valid OPINION and what is not!! If this wasn’t so SAD, it would be HILARIOUS!!! ;-)

18-Oct-17
Bowriter: really? an op ed article by one guy as "proof" The guy rambles and sounds like a conspiracy theorist to me

LB shootist said: "You don't have to prove that you dont beat your wife because people don't donate monies for you not to beat her"

You missed my point entirely. Has nothing to do with beating your wife or getting donations. Was just an example of how something that isn't true is hard to prove to people that it isn't true. It is hard for any organization to disprove something that never happened. Just like it would be hard for you give me proof that you never beat your wife.

Now give me some facts of wrongdoing to go on and there is a trail to follow. But just "They bought a ranch and someone told me the execs were hunting it" is not easy to prove it didn't happen even though it didn't

18-Oct-17

Fulldraw1972's Link
It’s pretty obvious this guy overlooks everything else RMEF does to draw this conclusion.

18-Oct-17
David Allan made an interesting comment on the meateater podcast worth repeating; RMEF received a $30M bequest with the stipulation it be held and only the interest is spent [something like that] Having to hold this $30M in the bank hurts them in the way the charity oversight outfits calculate things.

So in reality RMEF is probably above 90% when it comes to putting money toward habitat and hunter access- IMPRESSIVE.

18-Oct-17
Randy, Ike, and Brotsky- good posts !

I've been supporting RMEF for several years and I don't even elk hunt. I do not care who hunts on their tv show, it's not important to me. What is important is the work that they do for elk. Even though I don't elk hunt, I believe that work is the right thing to do and RMEF is the right org to do it.

18-Oct-17
"We have a long tradition in this country of the accuser being burdened with the duty of providing proof, not the accused. "

So true. Too bad some folks believe making accusatory comments on the internet somehow changes that equation.

18-Oct-17
One thing people have to realize is these organizations like RMEF, Mule Deer Foundation, Are helping and protecting what us hunters or sportsman love to do. If you are really concerned get involved, contribute , and help protect what we all love to do. If you get involved you will know what's going on. It's a lot of good things.

18-Oct-17
Amen Bighorn!

19-Oct-17
I am most comfortable with big fins answers. I have watched Randy and find his show to be one the best on the air. Also, without knowing the man I find him to be honest and I would take his word on how things operate. Even though I don't think I'll be able to hunt elk I would be comfortable becoming a member of RMEF, at least I get a cool knife ??

19-Oct-17
I went and looked at my first Sponsor Plaque and the first Elk Track was 1993. I had been a Regular member for a few years prior to upgrading.

I all these years of membership, some real dummies have tried to say some negative Bullchit and of course it never played out to be accurate or truthful.

Thanks for your responses Randy

Good luck, Robb

20-Oct-17
Thank you Randy for taking the time to answer this and the other "questions"(re:unsubstantiated rumors) so clearly. You are a fine ambassador for the RMEF and for hunters as a whole. One of the best, actually. I appreciate all you do for this passion of ours we call hunting (but which is so much more i.e. conservation, fellowship, legislative efforts, fundraising, and on and on...) Those of you spreading nothing more than unsupported gossip under the guise of "questions" should be ashamed. The title of this thread alone is proof.

20-Oct-17
great organization from everything I have ever seen. Been a sponsor member since 1997.

• Sitka Gear