Tajue17 19-Oct-17
SBH 19-Oct-17
The last savage 20-Oct-17
kellyharris 20-Oct-17
DartonJager 23-Oct-17
17-Oct-17

Tajue17's embedded Photo
Tajue17's embedded Photo
not sure if pics will come out but as I got in my stand yesterday the cable snapped and I almost fell out of stand,, harness was connected but still. 1st pic shows broken cable 2nd pic shows the in tree repair for now. I'm going to cut a couple pieces of 1/2" galvy conduit and flatten both ends and replace the cable with that.

17-Oct-17
you're more brave than me...

17-Oct-17
Your stand will no longer fold with the galvanized, but I'm sure you know that.

17-Oct-17
You are determined to become a statistic.

17-Oct-17
I wouldn't consider galvanized conduit to be "structural". Consider SS cable or if you don't care if it doesn't fold, some flat steel or angle iron. Heck even metal pipe hammered flat on the ends would be a lot stronger than conduit. Whatever your "fix" put some thought into it and make sure it's safe. A shortcut (like your temporary rope fix) isn't worth the risk.

17-Oct-17
Man, get some chain and links.............................................and some new boots. :-)

17-Oct-17
Some flat iron welded should be as strong as your weld. I'd just bolt on some chain though.

17-Oct-17
You can buy new aircraft cables

17-Oct-17
Maybe a new stand is in order?? If it has been there long enough for your cable to break, something else is probably getting ready to let go. The price of a new stand is nothing compared to the cost of hospital time, loss of wages, loss of life or being so broken from a fall that you can't hunt ever again. Instead of investing in a fix, invest in a new stand. Just sayin'.

17-Oct-17
Very good point JayG! I noticed rust on the frame also.

17-Oct-17
is that Para cord? that's being desperate to hunt and get yourself hurt. new stand is in order.

17-Oct-17
Looking at the platform, I see plenty of rust in various spots. Looks like an inexpensive Dicks stand. I often replace cables with new SS cable from Home Depot. But when my cheap stands start rusting like yours I toss them and buy a new one. Aint worth blowing through a straw the rest of your life..............

17-Oct-17
That stand looks like an older Gorilla. One of their smaller platform, steel versions. I had a couple of those before.

I replaced the cables w/ chain on a larger, aluminum Gorilla stand this year after seeing more rust than I cared for on the cables.

17-Oct-17
Throw it out. Buy a new one.

17-Oct-17

Tajue17's embedded Photo
Tajue17's embedded Photo
sorry guys here is what was supposed to be the first pic,, honestly the fix above is something I had to do right there I just used my para cord bow robe I think it was 600lb cord. I also put my harness lanyard so far up it was pulling on me as I sat down just in case. yeah I don't recommend anyone to do what I did I just needed to do something then because now I have 200lbs on one cable so i layed across seat and did the fix.

also thats the last of the steel gorillas guys give me a break "no pun intended" 8(

someone send me a link to some good chain on stands and I will buy a couple,,, I can't use straps here people climb up and cut 95% of the strap behind the tree if the don't like ya being there,, I need chains.

17-Oct-17
"someone send me a link to some good chain on stands and I will buy a couple" I prefer chain on myself. those are getting hard to find in the stores.

17-Oct-17
joey ward...funny about he boots......you said what i thought first

17-Oct-17
I carry my stand in every time with me. I do check it, but stands that are never exposed to freeze/thaw, moisture, or the elements, last much longer.

18-Oct-17
Listen fellas you know what they say about beat up hunting boots,,,,, they have tracked many deer and stepped on mucho poopo...... so just walk right past the dude with the clean boots and fancy runway camo because the guy (or girl) with the old beat up boots and scraggly ripped up camo yeah thats where you'll hear the good story's especially the one about the broken stand fixed with para cord,,,, PLUS ha ha those are 1st run "American Made" Muck boots not the foreign boots and shoes 99% of you reading this are wearing right now --> so there take that hmm hmm hmm 8^)

But my brand new GMC truck that takes me to the woods isn't American made its built right in Mexico with only 64% TDU's so I'll just shut right up while I still can 8^(

18-Oct-17
Be Safe! Exactly why i hunt on the ground. Much cheaper, and a whole lot safer, even when i take a nap. 8^)

18-Oct-17
agree'd but don't you hate it when they sneak up behind you and you can't turn around and your thinking "crap-- what is that 5' behind me a deer or a bear"

18-Oct-17
My preference are "experienced boots" also.

FYI, paracord or 550 type III cord is rated at 550 pounds tensile strength.

18-Oct-17
Is that tested for 550# on the sharp edges of expanded metal?

18-Oct-17
I would replace with chain. Itwill still move and less likely to break

18-Oct-17
Stay safe Taj! YIKES!!!

18-Oct-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Everything changed when John fell and became paralyzed from the waist down!

18-Oct-17
I have hunted from the ground and trees, but at my age I prefer to be on the ground. I just put a ground blind up for sale if you are interested and don't want to buy chains ! It's in the classified here.

DS

18-Oct-17
Tajue. I don't even look behind me when sitting on the ground. I ALWAYS have the wind in my face. They will wind me way before i get a chance to worry about a shot. If they wind me, or come behind me, that just means that they won the battle for that sit, and i didn't get set up in the right place. I don't have to look for that special tree, in bow range, when sitting on the ground. Pretty much, not always, can hunt any where. I really enjoy it. Be Safe.

18-Oct-17
I replaced the cables with chains on all my stands a few years ago. No cable issues here.

19-Oct-17
I think thats exactly what I will do actually even new stands I buy from now on I'm Immediately removing the two cables mainly because they are covered and I can't see if they are good..

my old man used to weld all my portables so that they are permanently open to avoid squeaking and if someone stole one I'd know it was mine later,,, they are just as easy to carry locked open so the pipe idea flattened on both ends to replace the cables might be a good idea too ..

I understand and also thank you all for smacking me in the head with the warnings I totally understand,, but more dangerous than what I did is anyone who doesn't use a life line at all and I only know two hunters that do on all their stands,,,,,,MOST falls are when transferring from steps/ladder to the platform, how many of you out there actually remember to only transfer with your outside foot on the inside rung so it doesn't slide off I bet 1/2 of you have stepped in with your foot on the out side rung and and cut that number in half and I bet their lanyards wasn't attached yet,,,,, how many actually use their safety lanyard when ascending/descending the tree in a climber, you've seen the videos of the climbers flipping backwards I'm sure???

so we can never be too careful and yes hunting from the ground is the safest I have taken I think 23 deer from the ground and its a hoot,, and at last light no stands to deal with just head out..

by all means you have my permission to print the pictures above and pass them on to the safety course folks I will even put my story in a words doc and send it so the kids can read word for word first before the questions,, for a new hunter knowing what to do when when we are in our stand and it suddenly breaks is a good thing especially before panicking.... so with all this I'm not being a smart A%% seriously its a real life situation that you never hear one talk about,, I hear of people falling but never about broken stands and even new super cheap store bought stands with sketchy cable crimps can break especially if you are pushing the weight limit SO new hunters coming out of safety should know what to do,, my buddy said he had that happen before and stood up on the seat the next two hours.

19-Oct-17
Thanks for the reminder. I've got a couple old screaming eagles I probably need to look into retiring.

20-Oct-17
I was scouting an area of public land a good 1 hr hike from the road,,down in a deep revine I notice a hang on stand about half way up the side of the steep bank,,the right cable had snapped and the foot deck was wrenched downward and kind of corkscrewing hard and steep,,the fall would have been about 30+ feet due to the very steep valley..I often wonder if the fella took that fall? Hopefully he was harnessed,,sadly it was 15 + years ago ,,,no one I knew wore a harness then, I hope the dude made it,,it was gut wrenching to see,,,,if your a stand Hunter I'm sure you'll agree..

20-Oct-17
Aluminum stands get expensive quick but they don’t rust

23-Oct-17
I ask you what is less expensive, a new stand or a motorized wheel chair + buying depends for the rest of your life?

• Sitka Gear