KY EyeBow 20-Oct-17
Z Barebow 20-Oct-17
Kodiak 20-Oct-17
Kodiak 20-Oct-17
Deerplotter 21-Oct-17
jjs 22-Oct-17
ryanrc 22-Oct-17
20-Oct-17
Hello all! I'm new to the site and new to bear hunting, let me start off by saying thanks for having me hahahah. Anyway I'll cut to the chase, me and my buddy are looking to blow some steam off from college next September and we decided on a good ol' fashioned bear hunt! However I don't know how liberal MN is with the kill tags, but here in Wisconsin we cant get one to save our lives. So, we're moving to MN! I will most likely apply for area 51 and 45 but will also be prepared to grab up a no-quota tag. My question is, what reputable guides do you guys know of? I've NEVER bear hunted nor do I have the time to bait them on public land. I looked into Hanging Out on a Limb Outfitters, I like what I seen, however maybe you guys would know more? I looked into Bluelines as well and they are a bit more money for sure. However, can you really put a price on the hunt of a lifetime? HAHA anyway what do you guys know, suggest or have any overall tips for an absolutely new bear hunter?

20-Oct-17
I'd look north to Canada.

20-Oct-17
Study the bear managed map, and hunt the areas just on the fringe of the managed zones called the no-quota area. Pick a area that is closest to you and go knock on doors. You will be surprised at the access you will get, farmers hate bears because they destroy the crop. Also buy your no-quota tag as soon as they become available. Good luck!!

20-Oct-17
Do some research on the MN website and you will find you will need some preference points for those draw tags, which means a few years before you will draw depending on the area. I have no knowledge of the non quota areas. Great hunt if done correctly. Good luck!

20-Oct-17

Z Barebow's Link
I do not want to falsely give you tons of hope, but it is possible in no-quota zone. Follow link. (This guy had his own land to hunt)

20-Oct-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
If going no-quota I'd concentrate on the area from Milaca to Bruno on this map. Plenty of bears in that area of the no-quota.

20-Oct-17
Wow Z, 721 pounds is a beast!

21-Oct-17
Some of the best bear hunting in MN is now in the no quota area. More ag type land and the bear have naturally been migrated west to this food source. Zone 45 generally 4 years to draw, 51 every other or every two. There is a good guide near Cass Lake MN who posts on the MN forum. Also posts nice bear good success.

22-Oct-17
Took the 5th yr to draw and it was a bust, 6 days sitting not seeing a single bear. They were showing up heavily before the season then went south. A cornfield about 8 mis. south came into milk and the migration was on, the farmer counted 46 bears in the field and took sever crop loss and the weather went negative along with the over abundance of hornets on the bait site and with atver's interference (Labor Day week-end); the guide said it was the worst season he had in 17 yrs. I just took it like fishing, if you don't have the line in the water you got nothing to complain about. From my understanding this guide is really going to put restrictions on the bow hunters especially the x-bow users, had bad experience with them. Would suggest go to Canada also. Living in Wi. you should pull a tag for west central forrest zone, bear numbers are up with large ones and the tags are easier to get.

22-Oct-17
Go to Canada. Minnesota bears are pretty much nocturnal. You might shoot a little one or get a decent one at last light, but mostly you will listen to wolves up north. It can be hot that time of year and the labor day time gets slammed with everyone on quads. Trying to find a black bear with your pins standing in a shadow is near impossible. I am not saying it can't be done, but for a little more money Canada is a far better trip.

• Sitka Gear