smarba 23-Oct-17
Ambush 23-Oct-17
Burt 23-Oct-17
Adventurewriter 23-Oct-17
Fuzzy 24-Oct-17
22-Oct-17

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
I borrowed a Cabela's 1 1/2 horse meat grinder last year and it kicked ARRRRSE...I had to have one... but hate buying anything new when Craigslist is full of stuff for a fraction. Well it took a while to find one and had to drive to Wyoming to get it....it turned on made the right sounds and I bought it...

Well it is broken Grrrrrrr ...okay okay I have saved a large fortune buying used over the years and really the first time I got screwed....

This "screw in" "Augar Pillar" is busted....

Any suggestion how I am going to get this back up and going...other than this broken rod seems to be a good grinder...

22-Oct-17

22-Oct-17
oh yeah that is threaded....or the part that is still inside is....

22-Oct-17
Call Cabela’s, I bet they have a replacement part to sell you.

22-Oct-17
removing the broken part of the shaft is pretty straight forward. As long as you can get a replacement part it should not take long to fix. As for the broken piece, spray some penetrating oil in there, then drill a hole into the center of the broken shaft, then get an "easy out" or some other type of device to back the threaded part out. If it cooperates your looking at a 30 min process probably less.

22-Oct-17
Drill the shaft, easy out it and buy a piece of all thread, cut it to right length and you are good to go,.

God bless, Steve

22-Oct-17
Brot got the phone jerk around and sent an email with pics and not response....

Cornfed I will give that a try....

22-Oct-17
Left handed drill bit and tap. Remove broken screw. Buy new piece and screw it in. Pretty easy once you obtain the replacement part and proper tools.

22-Oct-17
You are going to get the run around on a Sunday. Call back tomorrow when their technical services people are in. I bet they will get you lined out

22-Oct-17
I would drill a hole thru the auger, and thru the shaft. Then tap in a roll pin to keep it in place.

The roll pin will also act like a shear pin in case it breaks under a heavy load. Just drive another one in.

This is just a ‘fix’ to keep you going.

Edit: Upon reviewing the pics it looks like you prob don’t have enough shaft to do that. An EZ out is prob your best bet

22-Oct-17
I don’t think welding is an option. The auger is prob aluminum and the shaft is mild steel

22-Oct-17
Mine broke on a 3/4 HP unit in same place as yours. Cabelas sent me a new auger assembly, no charge. Obviously weak in that area for the torque it produces. Good luck.

22-Oct-17
Alright guys thanks...I'm on it

22-Oct-17
The problem is getting the thread all connected to the mild steel rod. No problems getting the broken screw out of the auger. Do as suggested. But, unless it screws into the pilot rod and, it doesn't, you got problem unless you have a lathe and, could fabricated the thread all to a bigger piece of bar stock and, then turn it down to the correct size. Call for a replacement parts. God Bless

22-Oct-17
Looks like some of that Chinese steel,unless you have a machine shop buddy who could make that piece out of better material the Cabelas route is your best option.

23-Oct-17

KJC's Link
One of these might work. Scroll down this page for #32 grinder studs. Once you get the broken piece out, you'll need to know whether it's a 1/2" or 12mm thread.

23-Oct-17
JB weld

23-Oct-17
Don't use JB Weld, it isn't food safe!

23-Oct-17
No way is JB Weld strong enough for this task anyway. As others have stated, drill, easy-out and replace.

23-Oct-17
To get the stud out, take the second largest Torx screw bit you have. Drill a hole into the stud just a little smaller then the Torx bit. Tap the bit into the hole and turn out. By using the second largest, you still have one more shot at it with your largest bit.

As for the stud it's self: You should be able to buy one. If not, it would be cost prohibitive to have one made, unless you have a friend with machining capabilities. The stud should be stainless steel. It not only drives your cutter, it is also a bearing to keep your auger centered. Being a bearing it should be made of a material that will resist galling. The meat/fat is the only lubrication it gets. If you get one made of (ordinary) steel, make sure you dry it and coat with oil before storing.

Your best bet may be trying to find a grinder being parted out.

I've been repairing equipment for a living for over forty five years, and I'm a DIY'er (maybe to the extreme), but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and admit you got the short end of the stick. I'd fix it 'cause I can, but most people don't have the luxury of time and equipment.

23-Oct-17

Burt's embedded Photo
Burt's embedded Photo

Burt's Link
Which brand and model of grinder did you get? Checking the online owners manual for all the Cabelas branded grinders shows the part is available for purchase from the manufacturer. Their machines came with a 5 year warranty so it might be a covered item - certainly doesnt hurt to look and ask.

23-Oct-17
Just got off the phone with I want to say Weston???? The people that built this for Cabelas and got the replacement rod on the way....going to stop by a machine shop and get the broken rod taken out..... should get me in business...

Thanks for all the thoughts...

24-Oct-17
I loaned mine (same unit) once to my ex. It came back broken. I (read that as "I") had to buy a new auger. $48 I believe.

• Sitka Gear