NoWiser 24-Oct-17
Bob 24-Oct-17
IdyllwildArcher 25-Oct-17
bighorn 25-Oct-17
Trial153 25-Oct-17
OFFHNTN 30-Oct-17
Marty 31-Oct-17
23-Oct-17
You learn a lot in those failed attempts . Successful or not it's great to be in the field honing skills and making memories.

23-Oct-17
Awesome Scott! Tell Ryan that I've done the muley "walk of shame" from failed stalks more times than I can even remember! It just makes me want to hunt them even more! You guys are welcome down here anytime to chase mule deer!

23-Oct-17
Good job Ryan!! You'll get 'em. Looks like you had fun workin' it.

Kudos to you again too Scoot. Another quality "Dad trip". Ryan is a lucky kid.

23-Oct-17
Fun stuff Scoot. Great hunt in some great country.

23-Oct-17
Looks like another great father & son outing!

23-Oct-17
Scott, good stuff sir! Father & Son, (sometimes daughter's!-grin) that's what it's all about!

Brotsky, (Walk Of Shame) Well put sir! We've all been there! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

23-Oct-17
Thats awesome. I have a sure fire way to get within 25 yards of decent mule deer bucks. Only have an antelope tag in your pocket. The mule deer you bust while stalking antelope will just stand there looking at you as you pass them !

23-Oct-17
Ryan, I don't know if dad warned you, but spot and stalk is addictive and nearly incurable.

While you will enjoy stand hunting, you will yearn for spot and stalk.

I've done a bunch of it and never measured success as having a dead deer.

Good luck on your next trip.

23-Oct-17
Looks like a lot of fun. Hope you guys get to go after them again.

23-Oct-17
Good job, a lot learned for sure!

23-Oct-17
Great post. Can’t wait to do the same with my boy . That kind of hunt will only make you a better hunter. Best of luck Guys. Hunt

23-Oct-17
Sounds like a great trip!

23-Oct-17
Congratulations guys... far from a failure in my book.

Keep after 'em Ryan. Great job Scott.

23-Oct-17
Awesome! I grew up gun hunting and when I went to bow it took me the equivalent of 4 seasons to kill my first spot & stalk mule deer (a week in Sept & Jan for 2 years).

HUGE success to have those close encounters, and a TON of learning experience that will help Ryan for the rest of his life. Not to mention time spent with Dad. Very cool.

23-Oct-17
Congrats guys!

23-Oct-17
I'd call that a truly successful hunt! Nice job, Scott.

23-Oct-17
Looks like you guys had a great time! It is awesome country to take your bow on a hike.

23-Oct-17
Keep at it. Took me 4 years as well to stalk up on my first deer when I was learning to bowhunt.

Now you know why so many western hunters work hard to increase the max effective range. I'm sure over the next year with some growth, strength, and good practice Ryan will increase his max effective range.

23-Oct-17
Sounds like one hell of a great trip, I cant wait till my son is old enough to be able to go on hunts and fishing trips!

23-Oct-17
Great job guys. Always enjoy reading these hunts.

23-Oct-17
Way to go Scott! Sounds like a great time to me,,!! I'm sure he'll get er done next time!!!

23-Oct-17
Congrats on the memories made!!

23-Oct-17
Nicely done Scott and Ryan!

Fun times together....and learning so much! Next year!

Mark

23-Oct-17
Great smiles in all the pictures, looks like a success to me:)

23-Oct-17
Scoot, two of the most enjoyable hunts I ever had resulted in no meat in the freezer. One was a rifle mulie hunt in Co., in a tent camp, the other was a rut hunt for pronghorn in Montana. Proof that killing isn't the end all to hunting, at least for me.

Now, nobody wants to do that forever, and I suspect that Ryan won't either. You had a great time, what else matters, (at least until next time !) ?

23-Oct-17
Great memories with father and son , getting educated on Mule deer , I would say you had a very successful hunt . Congrats !

23-Oct-17
Good stuff boys!

23-Oct-17
Don’t sound like much of a failure to me! He was probably just wanting to go easy on ya on this year’s taxidermy bills.

23-Oct-17
Quality time spent together and his gratitude by thanking you is what its all about, he gets it! A simple thank you from my son is a successful hunt in my book!

23-Oct-17
Good times guys! This quote comes to mind...

“I never lose, either I win or I learn”

24-Oct-17
Glad ya had fun and got into some stalks for some learning/experience for Ryan.

Big open country is always a challenge to Spot-n-Stalk.

Good luck, Robb

24-Oct-17
That is great! I wish I had learned the ropes on how to spot and stalk when I was younger, likely be much better at it by now. He will for sure gain a ton of experience by having that opportunity as most never do it! I am sure he enjoyed it as well, nice work Scoot!

24-Oct-17
Thanks very much, fellas. You are all spot on and neither of us see this trip as a failure. Ryan ranked this outing very high on the "best trip ever" list, so he and I are on the same page with drycreek- we don't need to punch a tag to have a blast. His tag is still good for whitetails, and I hope we can get out during the rut in a couple weeks for that. Lots of good hunting for whiteys left to do. The hard part is finding the time away from work and school for us. We'll figure it out and get out there...

24-Oct-17
Looks like a great trip! Heck, 31 yards from a mule deer is an accomplishment in itself. Thanks for sharing the story!

24-Oct-17
I always like seeing a picture of Ryan when he is hunting. That boy is always smiling !

25-Oct-17
Cool stuff. You guys were out there and in them. That's what matters.

25-Oct-17
Scott, Your teaching your son to be a real hunter. You never fail on spot and stock you keep learning the hunt is never over. It's memories of the hunt. Have fun.

25-Oct-17
Good work!

30-Oct-17
Great thread Scott! Congrats to you and Ryan on a "successful" hunt! Raising him right!

31-Oct-17
Man, brings back lots of memories, I did a lot of "failed" stalks with my boys when they were young. Some were fun, some heartbreaking, but all were learning experiences. I sure enjoyed them. Now they both drag my butt around and tell me how to do it! Best of luck and keep after them, it is worth it! Kevin

• Sitka Gear