Shaft2Long 28-Oct-17
BULELK1 29-Oct-17
BULELK1 29-Oct-17
Elkhuntr 29-Oct-17
BULELK1 30-Oct-17
Rob Nye 31-Oct-17
Fuzzy 31-Oct-17
23-Oct-17
I'm looking for a new set of tires for my half ton, and I've done a bit of research. I would go back to Goodyear Duratracs, but looking to put on something a little cheaper because my truck has some mileage and I cringe at another $1300 + set. The Duratracs have served me well, averaging 65k a set. Anyway, the General Grabber AT2 tire seems to be a decent all-around more economical tire, with a little less aggressive tread (not ideal, but okay).

Anyone have any experience with these tires or a similarly priced alternative? Thanks in advance.

23-Oct-17
Franzen, I had a set of Wild Country XTX on my old GMC half ton a few years back. They seemed like they were a pretty decent alternative. Probably similar in price and style to the General Grabbers.

23-Oct-17
I have the Hankook Dynapro on my Grand Cherokee. Saturday, one tire went flat to I took the wheel to Big O for a repair, and asked how many miles I had left on them. There are 54,000 miles on these tires. His response, "good as new. I've seen them go 100,000 if you rotate them on schedule. There's a little noisy, but my father used to call that the "sound of traction." Great tires, I'll buy another set eventually.

23-Oct-17
I've been running General Grabbers on my 1/2 ton for 5-6 years now and have had great luck with them. Good wear and good traction.

23-Oct-17
bk, I am assuming you are referring to the AT? I had a pretty sour experience with the MTs I had from Hankook, so I don't foresee myself buying Hankooks again. Thanks so far... looking at those Wild Country tires too.

FYI. I drive daily on somewhat rough roads, not quite FS roads, but enough to chew soft tires up. These wouldn't be highway only tires.

23-Oct-17
Great tires for the price!

23-Oct-17
The General Grabbers are good tires. The Wild Country XTX are better. And even better, the ones I prefer on my F150, are the Hercules Terra Trac AT IIs.

All good value tires for general use on and off road.

All should be around the same price range for 4 depending on store and availability.

23-Oct-17
I had rock cut flats with them years ago, 2005 or so.

23-Oct-17
They're just fine .

23-Oct-17
I have around 10,000 or 15,000 miles on a set of Grabber AT2's on my Sequoia and they have been great. Put a ton of miles on them this summer camping with the family and two hunting trips. They seem to be wearing better than the BIg O AT tires I had before that.

23-Oct-17
I have a 2005 Ford f-150 4 door 4x4 that I bought new, it has 171,000 miles on it . I don't remember the price but...4 years ago I bought a set of Toyo Open Country AT II tires, they have been a very good tire so far with 60,000 miles on them. The truck came with BF Goodrich tires and they were a good tire too.

23-Oct-17
I looked at the price of tires on Walmarts web site..The Grabbers and Toyo tires are the same price for my size..

23-Oct-17
You won’t go wrong with the grabbers

23-Oct-17
X2 on the Hanoook Dynapro AT. I have 70.000 miles on my 35” tired on my tundra. They probably have another 10.000 left. Will buy the same tire again. Never got anywhere close to the mileage as these tires. Great traction too

23-Oct-17
I had them for a while. Didn't like the noise. Winter performance was great. Just put BFG KO2's on my Titan. Quieter and a little better mud performance.

23-Oct-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
You won't go wrong with either IMO.

24-Oct-17
Whatever you choose make sure you get an 8 ply sidewall. Side wall punctures from rocks or anything else destrys the tire and it cannot be repaired. I've had a stick go through a 4 ply sidewall that was brand new. Yes I had a warranty but that doesn't help if you're on a trip and hours from a tire shop. One other thing. Think about where you're going to travel. Is it a National or multi state tire shop in case you need a tire warranty? May never need it. I've had to just driving on a interstate and hit a piece of metal.

24-Oct-17
hd them on a chevy pick-up they were slippery on wet pavement coming to a quick stop truck would slide starting quickly back tires would spin easily, very poor tread life got 22, 000 miles and nothing left they were bald in many spots 1 Would never use them again or tell anyone to buy them!

24-Oct-17
I've got 40K on my Cooper AT-3's, and they still going. The uneven wear is my fault - didn't rotate them. I'll buy another set soon. Decent price.

24-Oct-17
I just bought my second set of duratracs for my f350 superduty, my current ones have close to 90 000kms on them, best wearing tire ive had on this truck, my new ones cost me $1300 total taxes and install included CAD, thats $1026USD! They are 275/70R18 E rated 10 ply,

24-Oct-17
If I could get Duratracs installed for $1026 I'd buy another set carcus. I can get them online for around $1100 last I knew, but then again I don't have a tire machine, so I have to add some money for install.

Ole Coyote, would you mind letting us know the exact tire you had and your driving conditions? Size, load rating, etc?

No BFGs or Hankooks for me. Everything else I'm considering. I'm not sure there is a tire made that you don't chance tearing a side wall. I tore one on a brand new Duratrac in WY, which was painful.

24-Oct-17
I'm on my 3rd set of General Grabber AT2's... LT285-75-R16 great tires for sure. Always get over 50K on them. Will buy another set when the time comes.

24-Oct-17
I'm also super happy with the Duratracs, and I paid a shade under $1200cdn a couple years ago - installed. For a Ford F150. Put 60,000km on them and they looked new. I've got a new Ford now I put Duratracs on right away, has 45,000 on them and they look like the day I put them on. Very very pleased with them. I wonder if you could buy them from Canada? With the exchange may be worth it.

24-Oct-17
If u buy general grabber u better stay on the highway. Use on any rocky road resulted in a flat for the set I had That's been 20 years so maybe things are different now. There are so many better tires you could get. I would stay away

24-Oct-17
I agree with Swampokie! Must have improved them a lot as my set were a flat in the waiting on rocky roads.

25-Oct-17
The guys recommending BFG KO's.... while they are a great tire must not of read the OP's post? OP's looking for something cheaper than Duratracs.

25-Oct-17
Franzen, they go on sale every October 25% off, Canadian tire has the best prices, come up for a drive go home home with new duratracs

25-Oct-17
I have them on my Chevy Avalanche. The Grabbers are a fine tire, just make sure you get the 10 ply (Load range E) ones.

25-Oct-17
I am really happy with my Mickey Thompson ATZ's. they have changed the tread design since I bought mine. the new version is the p3. Looking at mud terrains for my next set. Cooper STT pro's get good reviews.

25-Oct-17
Well don't look at the Toyos if you are trying to go cheap....

I'm rolling over 70k miles on my toyo open country's, the beefiest, toughest tires I've ever used. The closest I've come to that was a set of goodyear all terrain's that went almost 50k

25-Oct-17
I looked at the General Grabber and went with the Hankook Dynapro based upon several recommendations about rock and gravel roads...been happy so far.

You could have asked about broadheads and the responses would have been as varied...

25-Oct-17
+ 1 BK-General grabbers are decent. I have a dually and drive lots of highway and dirt section roads. I have had generals and hankook ATs. I’d like to try coopers but I’ve been getting at least 50,000 miles on hankooks and I drive like I stole my truck. I tow heavy a lot. Still I get decent mileage. Even with a dually I get great traction in snow in 4wd. I liked generals and for the price they were pretty good but I got only about 35,000 mi out of them.

28-Oct-17
Surprised to hear about the Dura Tracs getting the mileage you guys have experienced. Based on the tread I thought you'd be lucky to get 50k out of them.

If you're looking for something relatively cheap I had a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my Dodge half ton. Those tires had 55,000 on them when I traded it in and they had alot of life left in them. I'm going to be buying tires again in December for a different truck, I'm researching, but have a feeling I'll go with the ATP or AT3 again. Those tire were VERY durable on very rocky roads and handled all conditions real well. Sand, mud, snow, rain, just a great tire.

I priced them out for my F250 and they were $183 each, thats $732 for a set not including tax and whatever you pay for mounting and road hazard should you choose that.

29-Oct-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I am a Toyo guy for years and years now.

I put the MT's on for 6 months starting in November

Then put on the AT's in the spring

This really stretches the tread life over many--many years.

Good luck, Robb

29-Oct-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
And the fall/winter MT's

Good luck, Robb

29-Oct-17
for me, a big indicator of a quality tire is how much weight it takes to balance. toyo's are known for being very true and taking a minimal amount of weight to balance. unfortunately I have not had good experience with them in terms of wear.

I had the hankook dynapro AT and they were a decent tire. I would recommend them. I had Coopers both the ST Maxx as well as the AT and they are also a very good tire. Because of the sidewall, the ST Maxx required more weight to balance.

I was recently looking for tires and after a lot of research, settled on the redesigned yokohama geolander g015. they are an AT tire and the LT series ( I purchased a 10 ply or E load rating) have a fairly aggressive tread for an AT tire. they took a very small amount of weight to balance, were priced similar to the Cooper and Hankook, and they come with the mountain/snowflake symbol for winter driving. this helps in areas out west when driving over mountain passes in winter storms.

so far I have a little more than 1000 miles on them. no snow yet but, they performed good in mud and on the street.

30-Oct-17
True that----->

I think having a good maintenance plan and sticking with it really ad's to tread life.

Rotated every 3,000 miles, tire pressure ect.

Good luck, Robb

31-Oct-17
Spend the extra and stick with Duratracs. 98% of my driving is on gravel and mud by far the best tires I've ever owned for durability and wear. Have had 3 sets and would have a really tough time buying anything else.

31-Oct-17
you guys who are getting >50K miles on tires, just WOW!

• Sitka Gear