scentman 24-Oct-17
Russell 24-Oct-17
GVS 24-Oct-17
x-man 24-Oct-17
Rth1229 24-Oct-17
23-Oct-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
Just found this old promotional picture from about 1984. Check out the new-fangled bow.

23-Oct-17
And your hat is back in style!!

23-Oct-17
I didn't know it ever went out.

23-Oct-17
1984? Dang John! How old were you in that pic?

23-Oct-17

23-Oct-17
Is that a 2315 arrow? I started out with 2514 arrows for the stiffer spine.

23-Oct-17
That looks like a rodeo buckle from your days of rodeo with Tom Oar........

23-Oct-17
Oh yeah John. Those high "trucker" hats were replaced by the "low boy" hats. And now, the "trucker" hats are being worn by the "cool kids" with their YouTube " hunting shows". You just gotta flatten that brim, tuck your ears, grow a rat-tail braid out of the off-side back of your head, paint a bat on your face, come up with a "catch phrase" and head off to stardom. < p>

Just having fun, sir. I read your column and then saw the picture. I chuckled that the flat brim, tucked-ear "trucker" hat trend of modern social media hunters could possibly be traced to you and your promotional shot. Dr. Frankenhunter?

As I said, just a humorous thought that drifted through my head. No harm or disrespect intended. Short bloodtrails.

23-Oct-17

Scooter's embedded Photo
How about this one... You guys from Pa. might remember this..I was only a Little shaver LOL ..
Scooter's embedded Photo
How about this one... You guys from Pa. might remember this..I was only a Little shaver LOL ..

23-Oct-17
Well, in 1984, I reckon, best I can cipher, I was 40. That is when I co-hosted TN Outdoorsmen, a popular weekly outdoors television show. Orion-no offense taken. I did not know hats changed. Don't pay any attention to stuff like that.

23-Oct-17
John, is that Matt McPhersons precursor to his One Cam?

23-Oct-17
Good looking spinnerbaits.

23-Oct-17
Haa embry..good spot.

24-Oct-17
John, is that Matt McPhersons precursor to his One Cam? I believe, that is the second version of his original bow. Not sure. He sent me several, over the years. I do know, that is one of the early ones. I set them all up the same, one sight pin and fingers and that pin is, I believe, one that just came out as single pins began to evolve. It is still probably the best pin I ever used for hunting. I think it cost about $3. The string silencers were, at that time, state of the art and totally useless as well as unneeded. I reckon we learned a lot over the years. That bow would be laughed at, compared with today's bows. Price was probably about $190.

24-Oct-17
The eighties just called, they want their limbs back... love that pic, brings back a fun era!

24-Oct-17
Bow,

You've got a Merle Haggard look going on. That's a cool pic for sure.

Tks for sharing the past with us.

24-Oct-17
Wow, that is a blast from the past. That is the pic that used to run with your column in the old Eastern Bowhunter/ Bowhunting News.

24-Oct-17
I think I still have one of those sight set-ups, and the quiver that goes in that mount.

24-Oct-17
That hat says Tennessee...it never goes outta style

• Sitka Gear