Xbowdoctor95 26-Oct-17
Huntcell 27-Oct-17
JL 27-Oct-17
Bear Track 24-Nov-17
Bear Track 24-Nov-17
Ibow 24-Apr-18
Mr.C 24-Apr-18
25-Oct-17
Ok, so I’ve come to terms with not taking a Minnesota bear hunt. Queue the weeping. Anyway. I decided to take my funds elsewhere and here’s the dilemma. If you could pick a destination for bear hunting on a guided trip would you pick Maine, Idaho or Washington. I’ve found a few positively reviewed outfitters in all and am really digging Maine. I like the cost, the scenery, and there seems to be sizable bear there. Anybody feel differently? I CANNOT GO TO CANADA! I have a few D/C’s and they won’t allow me there. So lower 48 hunts. Whatta you guys think? I apologize for my ignorance on the matter, any info helps.

25-Oct-17

25-Oct-17
If you're interested in a back country experience, Idaho has the largest contiguous wilderness in the lower 48 in the FCRONR and S-B wildernesses. There are places in there where you can go 25 miles as the crow flies and still have 25 miles in front of you before you'll hit a road. There are outfitters that can horse you in miles, you can get two bear tags, and ID allows baiting.

25-Oct-17
Might consider going just a tad north of Maine and try New Brunswick Canada. If interested, pm and I'll steer you right.

25-Oct-17
Did you read his post? He wrote in CAPS that he can't go to Canada...

25-Oct-17
Wyoming got some big bears especially in the Bighorn mountians

25-Oct-17
POW, Alaska! Fish, scenery and lots of bears!

25-Oct-17
POW AK will have the best Bears! A non-resident will need to apply in the Draw 1.5 years ahead. So that would be applying this Dec. for a tag in Spring (May,June) 2019.

25-Oct-17
Idyll, he is allowed to ignore ALL CAPS typing. He's a columnist, didn't you know that? Geez…

He is paid to be judge mental. I just thought I would mention…

25-Oct-17
X2 Idyll-- Idaho has some great opportunities. One outfitter that I have heard great things about is Mile High Outfitters. He runs a horseback wilderness outfit and they also have a second bear option.

25-Oct-17
Eastern NC. Dog hunts. Some corn fed bears get enormous.

25-Oct-17

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
If you come to POW I'll rent you a place to stay for $500 a week. Make you a deal on a skiff too. I kill two P&Y bears every spring.

25-Oct-17
I suppose I should have added that I may be bringing my father, he's always wanted to hunt bear but between 5 kids and my mom he never had the chance. Worked himself to the bone in my opinion, so definitely looking for a decent animal for him. Make it truly worth the trip (he's old, doesn't do much walking). I'm really feeling Maine. Probably be flying( I'd hate to stick him in the car for 22 hours of driving) haha. But I read about North Country Lodge which seems affordable, though I do like the 2 bear tagging that Idaho offers, I'm still early in my planning, so with that being said I'll give er' the ol' bump to keep it going around the table.

25-Oct-17
I’ve stayed at Blacktail Bobs cabin it’s an awesome setup and by that photo he has done even more to it!

The one thing to ask Bob is if you can use crossbow?

Not sure what your handle implies but if you hunt with a crossbow you may want to ask Bob about the specifics to that!

25-Oct-17
as someone who live close to Maine and has bear hunted there a few times here's my take... Maine is nice & a beautiful place. bears are not around every tree. with a good outfitter and a five day hunt we would average 2 sittings per hunter in that time period. 150 lb bear is pretty average , a 300lb bear is rare. You want to see alot of big bears go to either eastern north Carolina or alaska. both will be much more expensive than maine.

25-Oct-17
I saw you are from WI. Why not apply for a year or 2 of points and draw a c tag? Most tanks are killed out of zone c crop land in WI. I killed a 350 lb boar out of c 8 years ago.

25-Oct-17
G5smoke21- I actually live in Zone C, I hunt my uncles land w/ our hunting party(200+ acres of swamp, fields, ridge lines, etc.) and we have a couple trailcam pics of some giants. However, I wouldn’t know the first thing about baiting. Where to put it, I mean where are the bears all at! I seen a couple on trail cams by my whitetail stands. I don’t want to bear bait my white tail stands. where to buy it, how often to bait, etc. I’d love to take one of these bruisers though so side note, anybody who is a master baiter(haha) or knows how to locate and scout these things should pm me. I’d like to do a travel hunt though. It’s always been a dream of mine. I think I’ll go Maine on this trip and if I like it Alaska will be my number 2(I’d love to spot and stalk w/ a rifle.)

25-Oct-17

Boreal's Link
Buy this bear baiting book and tape. Very good info on what, where and how to start a bait.

25-Oct-17
Ordered! Thanks!

25-Oct-17
Zone C recently requires no points up the number of tags again.

Here is a bait dealer located in C.

Hollow Stump Bear Bait located south of Marion Wi. E6173 County Rd G?Marion, WI 54950

ph:715-754-2620

25-Oct-17

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Here is another bear how to book . Be mindful what you see on videos and in books is not necessary legal in every state.

26-Oct-17
Ditto what Huntcell posted above. Best informative bear hunting book I’ve ever read. Still page thru it from time to time. Stay in Minnesota and DIY. If you must go on a guided hunt in the US, I’d do Idaho in a heartbeat. Consider Weitas Creek Outfitters. They do an awesome job. Honestly, don’t do Maine. When you consider what your own state offers or the western US (if you can’t do Canada), to go west would be a no brainer.

26-Oct-17
Thanks guys! It’s nice to get some actual input. Most sites I ask/frequent, they would just roll their eyes and ignore your question. As if you’re supposed to know everything from birth. I hope to get this stuff down pat and start posting some results!

27-Oct-17
With “xbow” in your handle that can possibly reduce the response rate on some bow sites.

27-Oct-17
Youtube has a few North Carolina bear hunts. They do have some bigguns there and it's flat.

24-Nov-17
pm me and I'll put you in touch of a place that can get you into Canada. If they can't do the paperwork, it can't get done. I refer my guests to them all the time

24-Nov-17
pm me and I'll put you in touch of a place that can get you into Canada. If they can't do the paperwork, it can't get done. I refer my guests to them all the time

24-Apr-18
Just a side note to this older thread - the lawyer from Winnipeg that Bear Track speaks about above is the real deal. After Ron gave me his info, I gave it to my buddy and he got in touch with him. Bottom line is, my buddy and I are headed to Manitoba this spring after a relatively painless & efficient procedure and one that was also VERY reasonable compared to what he was spending with an attorney here in MI. Thanks for the info BT. It proved to be VERY helpful! If anyone is staying away from Canada because of one of those “youthful indiscretions”, you’d do well to contact Ron for the name of this attorney in Winnipeg. There is no reason to stay home!

24-Apr-18
don't over look Washington state! the Indians on the coast can bait and there some big bears that feast on salmon and berries and grow to be rather large good luck MikeC

• Sitka Gear