c3 26-Oct-17
spike buck 27-Oct-17
Hunt98 29-Oct-17
JL 29-Oct-17
happygolucky 31-Oct-17
killinstuff 31-Oct-17
Rob Nye 01-Nov-17
26-Oct-17
What do you do for wet heavy snow from collapsing/breaking poles?

26-Oct-17
Cut a piece of 1 or 1.5 inch pvc pipe roughly 1 inch longer than the blind is tall. Use it as a support column by placing if under the ceiling hub.

It's worked for my Ameristep and Double bull blinds for years.

26-Oct-17
Forgot to add that you'll be able to "gently" brush off the residual snow when you get in it without too much hassle.

26-Oct-17
+1 milnrick....I have done exactly the same thing with good results.

26-Oct-17
I’ve used a sapling cut to length in a pinch. They make telescoping supports specifically for that purpose.

26-Oct-17
I use a extending painter's pole. One of those that you screw on a roller. Cheaper than those made specifically for holding up blinds.

26-Oct-17
I use 1” pvc cut into three pieces and two unions. Easy to break down and keep in the blind tote bag.

26-Oct-17

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
My Ameristep one person did pretty well last year in the snow.

26-Oct-17

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Not exactly wet heavy, but heavy enough that I thought it would be a gonner when I got back to it

26-Oct-17

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I got a little preoccupied with this work and couldn't get back up there 4 miles in for a couple days, hehehehehehe

27-Oct-17
Funny you would post this thread!! We just got nine inches of wet snow and all 14 blinds collapsed, but not a single one was broken. I was thinking the worse this morning for nothing. Season starts tomorrow morning.

29-Oct-17
Thanks for the suggestions. I had two poles (on separate hubs, $50 to replace) break a few years ago. I bought 1.25” PVC with an end cap for the bottom so it doesn’t sink into the ground.

29-Oct-17
I've broken a couple of hubs due to snow. If you're under a limb you can also tie off the top eye ring on the roof to the limb above.

31-Oct-17
I use the extendable painters poles also with a pad connected to the top. Cheap and efficient.

31-Oct-17
Hidden hunter blinds. I'm in northern MI. Snow can't bring thing one down.

01-Nov-17
I cut the correct lentgth 2x4 and screw a 1 foot square piece of plywood to one end to sit on floor. On top end drill a hole just big enough to fit bolt/nut that runs thru top hub. Easy and cheap.

• Sitka Gear