PECO 30-Oct-17
smarba 01-Nov-17
snapcrackpop 01-Nov-17
JL 01-Nov-17
mtoomey 03-Nov-17
28-Oct-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Came up with an idea today. I took some adhesive reflector tape and put a piece around my arrow shaft, right behind the vanes and in front of the nock.

Here is a pic of 2 arrows on the ground I just took with my headlamp on them.

Interesting

28-Oct-17
I've thought about doing the same thing.. they also make arrow wraps that are reflective too

28-Oct-17
That’s a great idea!

28-Oct-17
Does it reflect in the sunlight or do you use a cover over the tail end of your arrows?

28-Oct-17
The little bit I had them in the sun this afternoon they did not reflect. Only in low light with light on them does the tape show up.

I will be doing some more research

28-Oct-17
What you are doing will work and will aid in finding an arrow. I have tried this before.

The disadvantages are seeing shot placement in low light conditions & light must hit reflective tape to work. In my opinion, these disadvantages are eliminated when a using a lighted pin- seeing shot placement and locating arrow after dark without light being required to locate arrow.

28-Oct-17
My priority objective here was to aid in finding the arrow after the shot.

I had the reflective tape laying around and thought ‘WTH’ give it a try.

28-Oct-17
How does it work with blood on it?

29-Oct-17
I did the same thing for a long time starting in 93 putting a band in front and one in back of fletching. Worked awesome to find arrows on a miss they lit up instantly with a flash light. On a good double lung hit they were covered in blood and won’t glow on a gut shot even less. On a marginal hit they were smeared with greasy fat no glow at all even when holding at in your hand. Once luminoks came along there was no point for me trying to pursue doing anything more with marketing the reflective material as wraps or bands on arrows for recovery. Hope your idea works better than mine.

29-Oct-17

JL's Link
I have been using custom, reflective arrow wraps for a long time. Neatest thing since sliced bread. I get mine from a company called Onestringer. They will put whatever design you choose on the wrap.

29-Oct-17
I started using the reflective wraps this year. They work great, even after passing through a deer.

29-Oct-17
I use "C EZ" reflective strips right under the nock.

29-Oct-17
Thank you for the idea. I am going to use it.

29-Oct-17
My dad use to do this with all of our arrows since the early 80s if you shoot an animal close to dark just shoot another arrow where it was when you shot it. It’s much easier to find blood trail

29-Oct-17
I've noticed in my yard that it reflects better with a headlamp instead of a handheld flashlight.

29-Oct-17

mtoomey's embedded Photo
6x1 reflective duct tape
mtoomey's embedded Photo
6x1 reflective duct tape
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Non-duct tape wrap peeling away
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Non-duct tape wrap peeling away
I purchase reflective duct tape, and make a wrap 6 inches by 1 inch. That size works for Easton Axis arrows. I have tried with other brands, but the tape begins to peel back off. Mike

30-Oct-17
I've used a reflective wrap from onestringer for 4-5 seasons. Generally, I just use it on my stump shooting arrow and not with broadheads. The reason is that I end up spending more time looking for it and it is easy to find in the dark.

Also, that arrow makes a great marker. For example, if I'm going to drop my pack to chase a bull in the late afternoon I'll prop the reflective arrow up for visibility so that I can easily find my pack in the dark. (Of course I marked it on GPS too). It works great as a marker.

Remember that the reflective wraps, at least the ones from onestringer, weigh more than the other wraps. So it may affect your arrow's spine if you're concerned.

30-Oct-17
Been doing this for years. I buy the blank mailbox decals and cut them into one inch strips and wrap between the nock and fletching.

30-Oct-17
Used refelective wrap for years. Works outstanding.

30-Oct-17
What I have done is buy a pack of reflective wraps. Cut one wrap into 1" lengths. use those small pieces between the knock and the fletching. It works great, and you can do a lot of arrows with just one pack of wraps.

30-Oct-17
What I have done is buy a pack of reflective wraps. Cut one wrap into 1" lengths. use those small pieces between the knock and the fletching. It works great, and you can do a lot of arrows with just one pack of wraps.

30-Oct-17

01-Nov-17
snapcrackpop: The reason reflective appears to work better with headlamp than flashlight is the light comes back directly to the source. If you hold your flashlight next to your head/eyes it should reflect as bright as wearing a headlamp.

01-Nov-17
Yes, I just didn't bother to write that out...

01-Nov-17
A FWIW thought. I have used wraps along time. I used to put the wrap close to to the nock end and glue the vanes directly to the wrap. Most of the time it worked good but I did have a vane separate a couple of times and ruin a perfectly good wrap and waste 3 vanes. Then ya have to redo the whole thing because of that. My fix was to move the wrap further down the shaft of the arrow just enough to allow gluing the vanes directly to the shaft. Never had a problem since.

03-Nov-17

mtoomey's embedded Photo
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Here Is a photo of 2 arrows with reflectors. The arrow on the left has not been shot. The arrow on the right has made a complete pass through, through the lungs of a doe. You can see that the arrow that has been through the deer is a little lighter but it till works.

• Sitka Gear