Ambush 31-Oct-17
Huntcell 01-Nov-17
coelker 01-Nov-17
Bake 01-Nov-17
sticksender 01-Nov-17
30-Oct-17

Huntcell 's Link
Link to license fee changes for Wyoming

Also see on other hunting sites an increase for preference points sheep and moose $ but haven't found it yet on Wy G&F website

31-Oct-17
That should thin out the NR moose and NR bison applicants. I expect a significant switch of NR from Special to Regular elk as well. Raising the wolf tag seems counterproductive for the potential extra revenues. Should bundle a wolf tag at no additional cost with the first big game tag yo get each year.

31-Oct-17
The only increase I see on the list which might affect my application strategy is NR Bison.

31-Oct-17
thanks for the info Doug

We knew it was coming so finally seeing it is best for planning ahead

Good luck, Robb

31-Oct-17
With the nr archery stamp More than doubling the special elk tag for an archery hunt will run you over $1300. I would think the higher fees hurt the outfitters as well since the added expenses may push the guy to go diy.

31-Oct-17
Increasingly becoming "the king's" hunting only. 1776 heading towards slow death. I see leftover tags in the future. Good luck.

31-Oct-17
Its becoming a rich mans game, that's for sure!

31-Oct-17
So no hike in PP fees? That's the real long-term cost for most of us.

If not, I'll predict no reduction in NR apps for elk or Moose. Bison apps might drop....they're getting a bit silly on the tag price. They must've looked at what AZ is doing.

Note that even though WY is the most expensive state in the west to apply for big game, because of their excessive NR PP fees across the board, it also remains one of the few states where big game licenses are allocated separately to NR's. Which continues to make it a must-apply for state. Unless they're jacking up the NR PP fees even more, of course.

31-Oct-17
I think with this increase in fees maybe they could let us hunt the wilderness? No? Oh well, I tried. :)

31-Oct-17
Personally I don't have a massive issue with the increase in cost, it is the point creep that is killing me. I have dropped out of the sheep pool years ago but stayed in for the moose. I now have 9 points and when I started applying I needed 7-9 points to draw a tag, now you need 14 plus to have a shot. I don't know if I will ever catch up.

31-Oct-17
If we get a type-9 tag we don't need the archery stamp right?

31-Oct-17
Correct YZF.

31-Oct-17
You won't ever catch up NJ. Point creep is a number on the run that you can't run faster than. Someday all it will be a few old dudes who have been applying for 60 years hiking the mountains trying to kill a sheep. They will be the only guys who kept buying a point and didn't die of old age.

31-Oct-17
I'm glad you posted this yesterday. I was contemplating whether to stay in the running for moose. This was just a reminder that "cutting your losses" is sometimes best, and I will just accept that they got a moose donation from me, and buy no more points. For now, I won't be applying for elk PPs either, and will buy a muley tag with the points I have to my name currently. I normally don't get too outraged over prices, but wow, they might as well just sell all bison tags to the highest bidder. That and the archery license is simply a slap in the face.

31-Oct-17
Everyone that applies for the special elk as a nonres might get their license this year...

Thanks for the link.

31-Oct-17
Moose license fee is still less than what the NR PP's will cost you. At 90.00 a year if you start now and draw your low-demand tag after 40 years, that's 3,600.00 in today's dollars, just for the points. Whereas the license is "only" 1,982.00. That means the total increase in Moose cost is only about 11%. As long as they haven't jacked up the point fee, which no one seems to know......

31-Oct-17
When we look at the price increase as a stand alone item or issue just Wyoming it's deceptive. Because these all these fees are Cumulative and the problem is exacerbated because it's happening across-the-board pretty much everywhere in other states as well. If we price hunters out of the equation we are pricing hunters out of conservation. And if we are out of conservation then who is in conservation ? In short you're looking at slow drain circle.

31-Oct-17
Sheep and Moose points went up to the maximum allowed, $150 each.

31-Oct-17
For moose go to Newfoundland and you will pay about the same and you don't have to wait until you have to wear diapers.

31-Oct-17
Let’s price away point creep..... unless they start excepting organ and platelet donations.

31-Oct-17
Gotta keep the bureaucracy running. Hire more biologists to do more studies, count deer droppings, predict the overall heath of sage brush etc

31-Oct-17
Thanks Wapitibob, that’s a bummer. So now the total non-refundable fees to apply and gain points for all species in WY will exceed 500.00 per year for non residents. Wow.

31-Oct-17
oh Canada!!!

31-Oct-17
The year they raised the NR moose license fee back in the early 90's I drew! Worth every penny to bring home a Shiras. Expect that the # of applicants decreased but don't know. Took me about 12 years to draw that tag for the headwaters of the Green River.

31-Oct-17
I only buy PP's for antelope. So will this increase cause other non-residents to drop out? Will guys use their points next season and get out making it less likely to be successful in the draw? Then the following year better odds? I'm probably only interested in Unit 27 where it took four points this year. And Unit 26 where one point should get it.

Here in BC all draws are random, no points. So very little opportunity to strategize.

01-Nov-17

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
What to do? What to do? Pricey! Wow!!! At $150 a year and rising just to stay in the game. I need start a go fund me page.

01-Nov-17
So next year my daughter will be hunting. Is there any price difference for youth tags in WY as a NR?

01-Nov-17
I'd be curious to know, if any of the draw gurus on here know, if when other states raised rates, if it dropped app numbers? My guess is it didn't.

I don't usually bitch about prices either, but I started this year with CO OTC tag. Last time I hunted CO in 2014 I thought I paid around $550. This year was $680. Even though I killed, I'm just not sure that value is worth it anymore for overcrowded areas.

I was never in the WY sheep, moose and goat game, nor bison. I knew I'd never catch up. I'll keep plugging away for the elk, deer and lope tags though

01-Nov-17
Bake, generally the answer is....not to any significant degree. People have invested too many years and dollars into the system to drop out. Although when WY raised their PP fee about 12 years back on bighorn sheep from 7.00 to 100.00, there was some drop in app numbers. Not enough to stop point creep in any significant way though.

If Wyoming's resident lobbyists ever succeed in getting the NR allocation reduced such that there are no longer random tags available for sheep and moose, then, with the prohibitive point fees now being charged, I think all but those in the top few point tiers would be wise to drop out. It's already questionable from an economic standpoint, with random odds at only a fraction of 1% for sheep.

• Sitka Gear