12yards 01-Nov-17
carcus 01-Nov-17
BOHUNTER09 01-Nov-17
GF 01-Nov-17
jfish 01-Nov-17
carcus 04-Nov-17
carcus 05-Nov-17
31-Oct-17
I've been using a waist belt for years, I know they are kinda dangerous but I can't stand the proper hunting safety harness, I have a older loggy bayou and a new hunter safety harness, I hate them, has me thinking a climbing harness is the way to go, anyone using these?

31-Oct-17
I took my Loggy Bayou to Co. elk hunting last year and used a via ferrata harness since it was much lighter and compact to hike in with. I've used it a couple of times since then. Works well. This is the one I have, minus the helmet: https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Petzl-Via-Ferrata-Kit_10311168_10208_10000001_-1_?ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Petzl&hybridPLA=true&scid=scplp3063548&sc_intid=3063548&adpos=1o2&cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-SC_Shopping_Brand_Terms_Desktop-_-39930674093|182268966899|pla-347392291108|c|9027109|3063548&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6diFoPKa1wIVFbjACh2uAQr4EAQYAiABEgKArfD_BwE

31-Oct-17
What don't you like about the harness? I begrudgingly decided I needed to use one when my 3 kids joined the family. I hated it at first, but now I don't even notice it. You might want to just give it awhile and see if you can become accustomed to it. Disregard all I just said if you've already given it enough time. I have no experience with climbing harnesses so can't help you there.

31-Oct-17
I switched from HHS to a rock climbing harness 2 years ago. The rock climbing harness is lighter, but a bit harder to get into since I have to step into each leg hole. Best advice is to always use one or the other. My neighbor fell from his stand last week. Caught by his harness. Sore neck but ok otherwise.

31-Oct-17
YES. So many pros and very few cons in my opinion. Biggest testimony is guys like you who don't wear them because of comfort & other issues are happy with the RC & start using them every hunt.

31-Oct-17
I just started using a Black Diamond rock climbing harness this year. I only have about 2 or 3 hunts this year with it, but so far I like it. Still better than a full body harness, in my opinion. I've never been able to wear the full body harnesses either. Can't stand them.

The Black Diamond harness I have is light, comfortable, and easy to put on. No loops to step into. It has leg loops, but you reach back and attach it after the belt on around your waist. Leg loops are adjustable and buckle in. I was worried it wouldn't fit over my Fanatic bibs. I shouldn't have worried, it fits great.

Like I said, I really don't have enough hunts with it to say for certain, but so far I like it a lot.

31-Oct-17

elkstabber's Link
carcus: If you've been wearing a waist belt it's about time you upgraded. I switched to a rock climbing harness a few years ago (because of a post here) and now wish that I'd switched earlier. This link is for the harness that I use and like a lot. Of course you'll need a rope "life line" tied up above you in the tree.

31-Oct-17
https://www.mec.ca/en/gender/men%27s/products/gear/climbing-gear/climbing-harnesses/c/957

I'm ordering from here, which one, bigger the better, has to fit over my stand hunter extreme!

31-Oct-17
elkstabber, where do you attach your linesman's belt to that harness? Is it to the green strap?

31-Oct-17
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5048-605/Tour-Harness

I ordered this one, don't have to step through the leg loops and its the largest

31-Oct-17
I still struggle to see how a rock climbing harness is any different than a waist belt harness if you truly fall out of your stand. If your stand breaks and you drop down, then I see you just sitting down into the harness as you would when climbing. However, if you were to trip on a stand cable, slip on a wet stand, or even fall asleep and tip over I don't see how it keeps you in the upright position.

I admit I have never rock climbed, but it appears to me that you have to use your feet and hands to keep yourself upright?

31-Oct-17
is there a downside to the rock climbing harness? do you flip upside down or something if you fall? I don't like the "normal" treestand types, but use them. However, I do like how I can cinch it up taut so that I can nap, sitting upright if I have to.... If I nod off, it keeps me upright and on the seat.

31-Oct-17
12yards: yes, I secure a short tether (20") from the green loop to the prussic knot with a carabiner. When hunting the tether either sits on my left side or right side. This can make it tricky to shoot behind your tree, depending which side the tether is on. It's never been a problem for me.

wv_bowhunter: a waist belt could easily slip up around your chest if/when you fell and make it hard to breathe, whereas the rock climbing harness will stay on your waist. But you're right about it being less secure than a full body harness which is better for keeping you upright. It probably depends on how high your center of gravity is located:) The green loop on the front of my rock climbing harness sits in front of my belly button.

31-Oct-17
I have a SOP (seat of the pants) and it is comfortable and forget it is even on.

31-Oct-17
I use the same RC harness as elkstabber.

Flipping upside down is a non-issue. I don't try and talk anyone into a RC harness if they are happy with the full body style. Just wear something so you don't hit the ground!

31-Oct-17

TMA1010's Link
I'm not sure if you're using one of the harnesses that came "free" with a treestand - but my opinion is they suck as far as comfort is concerned. I have no experience with the rock-climbing harnesses, I use a Muddy (link provided) and the only time I know it's there is when it's not. I'm not comfortable in a stand if I forgot to wear it, to the point that I won't get up in the tree anymore.

My question for the guys with the rock-climbing harness is don't you attach the lifeline to the front of the harness? Does it interfere with drawing your bow and shooting ever?

Either way, just wear something that you have confidence in. No excuse not to these days.

31-Oct-17
I never used a full harness. i use a RC harness some of the time. So I guess it's better.

31-Oct-17
been using a rock climbing harness for hunting for about 6 years now. it's excellent, more Convenient in every respect.

31-Oct-17
Wearing my waist belt safety harness right now, hopefully for the last time

31-Oct-17
I have a Summit SOP and like it, but I like my Rock Climbing harness a lot better. Consider buying a strap with loops on each end to span the distance between the front of the RC harness and the tree strap or lifeline. It of course has to be strong enough to be safe in a fall. Mine is called a rabbit runner but many use a dynamic Beal Dynaclip. With your back to the tree, your belt buckle is farther from the lifeline than the strap of an typical hunting harness. That is why the strap I am talking about is useful (but not needed).

One advantage, aside from being safer in my opinion, is when you want to put on a sweater or jacket while on stand. How do you get a pullover sweater over your head without temporarily taking off the upper part of a hunting vest? This is easy with an RC harness.

31-Oct-17

smarba's embedded Photo
sample rock climbing harness
smarba's embedded Photo
sample rock climbing harness
Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words. Is this the type of rock climbing harness to which you all are referring? Are not rock harnesses designed to have supporting connection point on the FRONT? So how do you shoot your bow with a rope hanging in front of you? Or are you not wearing the rock harness correctly?

31-Oct-17
You attach in front with a heavy rope to the tree with a prusik knot. I loop the rope around the tree at slightly above waist high. The rope hangs at my waist, along the right side. I adjust the prusik as needed and keep it snug as needed. I shoot longbows and this system has never interfered with my maneuvering for a shot. What is really nice is you can rig a linesman's belt to aid in climbing the tree. There is a technique for climbing a tree using just one stick like a lone wolf climbing stick and rock-climbing harness. I've climbed trees using it, but coming down is harder.

01-Nov-17

snapcrackpop's Link
https://youtu.be/VsOPf6BymVg

One of my videos

01-Nov-17
With the RC harness & a climber you just need the safety rope attached to the harness with the carabiner & prusik knot.

With a hang on or ladder stand it would be helpful to have a short extension between the safety rope & harness, but not necessary.

ONLY attach the RC harness in FRONT! Any other attachment is NOT designed for body weight nor safe due to suspension trauma. The beauty of the RC is you hang in a "seated" position, therefore minimizing your risk of suspension trauma.

01-Nov-17
Great video, obviously the RC harness is the way to go, cant wait to get mine, today will be my last hunt in my waist belt, I should use my HSS but I hate it feels like I'm in a straight jacket

01-Nov-17
carcus, I don't care what harness you are getting, I'm just glad you're done with the waist belt. Those things were widowmakers all by themselves.

01-Nov-17
Yep, now that I'm older, fatter, slower and weaker my chances of falling have increased, and recovering from a hanging from a waist belt would be very difficult, so I'm forced to change! Like I said earlier I have 2 proper 6 point harnesses and I hate them, I also have 3 or 4 lone wolf harnesses that come with the stands

01-Nov-17
After seeing Smarba's photo I realized my climbing harness was riding too low. A quick adjustment and it's much more comfortable

01-Nov-17
A harness is like a handgun - the only one worth having is the one that you’ll have ON YOU when you need it.

I like the Black Diamond Alpine Bod. The ones with padded leg loops are made for skinny girls in leggings who spend a lot of time hanging in them, so plain old nylon webbing over hunting clothes is just fine, IMO.

Best/most secure set-up is in a stand with a rail where you can sit facing the tree; shortest tether = shortest fall. Takes a little planning, and you do have to learn how to shoot peeking out from behind a tree, but makes ZERO difference for any shot to your bow-hand side.

01-Nov-17
Went to RC harness 6-7 yrs ago, no regrets...... all pros for me especially when it came to adding or removing a coat.

04-Nov-17
My new RC harness showed up today, its compact, light, really easy to put on, not sure it will fit over my heavy bibs or one piece but I can wear in under threading the rope through the zipper, I bought the largest I could find, already gave my HSS and loggy bayou away, what a difference

05-Nov-17
Used my RC harness for the first time and I love it! I won't be using it again this season as I killed a good buck, it even brought me good luck

• Sitka Gear