Treeline 10-Nov-17
ki-ke 10-Nov-17
Medicinemann 10-Nov-17
ki-ke 10-Nov-17
Zackman 10-Nov-17
Ambush 10-Nov-17
01-Nov-17
6:52 AM LIVE from BC*
WARNING!! this hunt may contain graphic images of a food plot, mechanical broadheads and trail cams. Viewer discretion is advised.

I decided, spur of the moment last night, to go this morning for my first sit of the year for mule deer. The timing and weather are not great but I just want to get out. So, in about 1 1/2 hours the sun should start to relief the shadows of their work and we'll see what shows up. Some does and young bucks for sure and likely a couple of bears.

More details to come. This hunt could last till the end of November, so updates will come as they happen. I'll pull a couple of cam cards and view the pics later in the morning on my camera.

01-Nov-17
Sounds like fun, best of luck Ambush!

01-Nov-17
Good luck Ambush! Enjoyed last year's thread!

01-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Not sure why I’m almost always caught off guard by daylight showing up?! It’s been doing it everyday for my whole life.

01-Nov-17
Rod, Shoot a nice one! Good luck!!! Kurt

01-Nov-17
First buck just showed up. 4X4, but forks too high on the backs and the front beam is broke off on one side.

01-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Another “next year” buck.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Another “next year” buck.

01-Nov-17
Pretty nice buck! Great potential for 2018! Hope the bigger one that busted that one up shows next!

01-Nov-17
Good luck. I enjoy your hunts too!

01-Nov-17
Well the day ended at 4:00 pm with no other deer sighted. I was pleasantly surprised that no bears showed up though. Back at it Friday morning.

03-Nov-17
Got in early this morning, bumping one deer in the dark. It’s about 15 F, clear, and deathly quiet. No wind at all. I like a breeze to cover any noise I might make. Happy to have brought some toe warmers because I’m sure not used to the cold yet!

Nothing to do now but relax, enjoy the quiet and see what the day brings. Any squirrel sightings will be posted immediately!!

03-Nov-17
Have a good day in the stand!

Are you hunting public land or private? Can you shoot a bear if you see one worth taking?

03-Nov-17
Good luck! I really enjoyed your thread last year and will be checking in often on this one

03-Nov-17
This is a private piece. This summer I built a box blind to replace the treestand I’ve been sitting in for several years. I’ve tried pop up blinds twice and the bears have wrecked both.

I have one bear tag left. There is a big boar around that I’ll kill if he shows. Another small loner that I’ll chase off. Sows and cubs have hopefully denned now with the cold.

The bigger bucks here are nomadic in the fall. They cruise looking for areas that hold does and can show up at anytime. I have days with no deer and some with constant activity. Just have to put in all day sits and hope.

My little food plot is a fail this year. Late start with an August drought. Now the ground is freezing with no snow cover. This plot is supposed to feed them post rut/season so they can survive the winter.

First two deer just showed up while I’m typing. Maybe The Buck will follow!!

03-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Warming my toes in the meager sun.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Warming my toes in the meager sun.
The only two deer so far moved on through. Only other action was a very skittish magpie.

No squirrels to report but here is the obligatory boot pic.

03-Nov-17
SQUIRREL!!!!!

03-Nov-17
A coupe of mid afternoon diners. Something I can’t see is coming judging by their stance right now. The sun is aleady sinking below the hill here in my little valley.

03-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Can’t edit to add pics?

03-Nov-17
Ambush, Heck you are still green up there! I plowed up to a foot of snow in the drifts off the driveway an hour ago. Other areas are wind blown clear. Bet the wind chill is about 0*F. Nasty the past two days. Putting the camper on in a few minutes to go whitetail hunting “soon” whenever that is in a retiree’s week......wind goes down and I get packed up mainly.

Good luck on the buck and shoot that old boar. I was thinking they are holed up down here.

Kurt

03-Nov-17
Good luck! Is it all mulies are there whitetail too?

03-Nov-17
No snow here Kurt, just cold.

Bowboy, there are whitetail fairly close by, but I almost never have one here. It’s a puzzle to me why not.

The last two deer wandered off and whatever had their interest didn’t show.

Temperature is dropping and it’s getting dusky. I’ll have eleven hours in soon and my deer per hour speed is pretty low right now. I’m feeling a little lonely and a little sorry for myself.

03-Nov-17
Just had a BIG buck come almost in!! A doe came by and he was following her. But with that mature buck, sixth sense, he didn’t like something and backed up then cut across the creek gully and gone.

Pretty sure it was the 5X6 from last year, taller, wider and thicker!! Things are looking up!

03-Nov-17
Home. Seven does and one big buck. Can’t wait till tomorrow morning!!

03-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Checked the cam in front of my stand and it's the buck from last year but 5X7 with a couple of small stickers this year.

03-Nov-17
WOW a real dandy! Tomorrow!!!

04-Nov-17
The moon walked me in this morning just before clocking off the grave yard shift.

Got in a bit earlier today because it looks like, by the cam pics, that the deer I bumped out yesterday morning was the 5X7. The weather is overcast and about 12F. Although the actual breeding is several days away yet, three new bucks have checked out this crossing. Five trails intersect here.

04-Nov-17
Good luck, nice and cold there, we are seeing our first snow storm of the year, with overnight temps being similar

04-Nov-17
3F here early before the clouds are warming it up.

04-Nov-17
Two does and a fawn showed up just after shooting light. Now there is a thick, stubby 4X4 herding one doe around and around on the steep hillside about 100 yards south of me. I hope the Boss shows up and puts him in his place.

04-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
That doe brought him right in. He’s fixated on her and grunting along behind her. Starting to wish I’d put something in the feeders.

04-Nov-17
Pretty quiet for the last hour and a half. Just had a coyote passing by, but he picked me off and skeedadled before my hand even got to the bow! Good thing deer aren’t wound that tight!!

04-Nov-17
12:45. It has warmed up to just below freezing. Watching a couple of deer feeding and reading all the Live Hunts to pass the time. Life is good!

04-Nov-17
You HAVE to get that big guy in the cam photo! This is killing me because my season on the CO plains doesn't open until Wednesday and the big bucks are starting to show up now. I'm so geeked I can't eat or sleep and your thread isn't helping!!!

04-Nov-17
Good luck man. That 5 by 7 is a hoss.

04-Nov-17
Well, twin doe fawns showed up by themselves. Maybe some Ole buck gave them a quarter to go get candy while he “talks” to their momma.

Jaq, our season starts Sept 1st, but I don’t start on mule deer till now. And we don’t have the same caliber of bucks here that I see coming out of your western states. We always laugh whenever we say “next year buck” ‘ cause that buck won’t make the winter. Very high winter mortality on the 3 1/2 year bucks.

04-Nov-17
I can't imagine the temperatures that you guys hunt in regularly. Our temperatures just finally dropped below the 90's this week...cold front! We're only allowed one deer per year, so I've been done for a couple of months now. I have to live vicariously through all of you for the rest of the year.

04-Nov-17
Ambush, we have high December mortality of older bucks on the plains due to a rifle season Dec 1-14. Bucks are still with the does and out in the open. With today's long range rifles it's like stealing.

My season starts October 1 but the mature bucks come from way out in the grasslands to get to the bait (does) now, and I love to decoy and call them in.

Good luck and whack a biggun'!

04-Nov-17
The twins came back and brought their delinquent mom with them. And sure enough a young Harvey Weinstein, the Stubby 4, was right on her sweet smelling hocks. To be fair, she was peeing on her legs and rubbing them together, kinda asking for the attention. He eventually wrote her off as a tease though and moved on.

But she is still here smelling pretty. So I’m hoping!! Couple hours to go yet.

StickFlicker, I’m going to need those three weeks in Arizona just to thaw out!

04-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
The BrokenBeam 4X4 just showed up on the hillside. He’s puffed right up and ears laid back, letting young Harvey know there is no room for punks around these ladies. Now they’re both standing there looking towards my blind and a couple of the floosies.

Broken Beam won the stare down and he’s here now

04-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Broken Beam is less than ten yards from me. Poor Harvey is on the outside looking in.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Broken Beam is less than ten yards from me. Poor Harvey is on the outside looking in.

04-Nov-17
What do you think the live weight on broken beam is? There's a lot of meat on him. God Bless

04-Nov-17
I would guess him at about 220 walking around. But I’m not a good guesser either. Likely a 3 1/2 year old. Maybe 4 1/2

04-Nov-17
Love this thread.. we don’t get to archery hunt the rut on the western side of CO so it’s. I’ve to see a mule deer rut

04-Nov-17
I’m just looking at BrokemBeam now. I’m 200 pounds and he is sure a LOT thicker than me. So maybe more like 260.

Standswittaknife, I love watching deer interact when they don’t know you’re there.

04-Nov-17
Thanks Ambush.

04-Nov-17
Maybe ten minutes of shooting light left. BrokenBeam and Stubby are grazing amicably together in a little meadow about 130 yards away. Unfortunately that’s my only way out to. I’ll wait until it’s real dark then go. I find animals don’t spook real bad at night.

04-Nov-17
Near last light BrokenBeam bedded down in the open meadow. Stubby came up and started gently sparring with him still laying down. BB got up after a bit and I thought he was going to kick Stubby’s ass! Instead they dinked around for a few minutes then wandered off in different directions. But the difference in body size is quite remarkable. That one or two more years makes a huge difference

Jaq, I hear you on the long range shooters. Seems kinda unfair that a buck can be half a mile away and he gets dropped. The saddest part is it’s often more about making the shot then the animal.

06-Nov-17
Man, that buck on your trail cam would keep me up at night! He looks incredible, I hope you get him. Hope you connect soon!

06-Nov-17
Thanks Nick, that’s my hope!

It’s 6:00 am and 6 F. Perfectly clear and someone had taken a slice off the big moon. I’m all settled in and waiting for shooting light and something shoot at. We just had our fall time change, so I have to be up an hour earlier to beat the sunrise. But I’ll be home at a normal supper hour. I have to leave around 10:00 this morning to get some business done. I hate leaving during the day, but I love my wife, so I smile and say “of course we can do that today Honey”.

I also can’t wait to check cam cards to see if I missed the perfect opportunity during the day off.

06-Nov-17
Good luck

06-Nov-17
Good luck ambush! Love following this thread!

06-Nov-17
One doe showed up at 7:30 and is still browsing along the bush line. But she”s telling me that there could be something coming up the creek gully.

I got two toques on this morning. Good Canadian ehh.

06-Nov-17
The first doe left and was replaced by another doe and fawn. Now they’ve wandered off to Kinda lonely here now. Shaping up to be one of those very slow mornings.

With it being a short morning sit, I thought I’d use up some poor quality, older chemical hand and toe warmers. Mistake!! My toes are cold and my fingers stiff. Everybody likes to slip into a warm muff on a cold day, but this one is not all that pleasing right now.

06-Nov-17
Good luck Ambush. Keep holding out for the big guy, it's just a matter of time and patience!

06-Nov-17
Thanks guys for the well wishes. I have lots of time and patience. Three does just went through the little meadow to my east. I rhink it’s time to slip out for day. Grab a couple of cam cards on the way out and hope for something to happen tomorrow. Ten hour day tomorrow.

06-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Checked cam pics when I got home and the 5X7 was there the last two nights. Nocturnal just like last year. A young 4X4 with a drop tine has been getting acquainted with the ladies to. You have to see the 5X7 from many angles to be able to see all his points. Hopefully he gets cocky and makes a daytime appearance

07-Nov-17
What are you using for bait, I see the salt but do you have grain on the ground and if so what type. Good luck on mr. big.

07-Nov-17
Back in the Rack Shack for an all day’’er or till death do us part. Overcast and noticeably warmer. About 20 F.

Bait. My main attraction is the food plot, but mostly this is a main funnel between bedding and feeding areas. Lots of natural browse along the edge. It just takes a little chain saw work to knock back the thick poplar re-gen.

Second is alfalfa hay. I’ve learned a few things about hay. One very important thing is bears aren’t attracted to it so I can put it out anytime I want. Alfalfa is very high in protein and great for building up winter body reserves. According to the deer biologists in Saskatchewan, winter cover for thermal protection is key to winter survival in our cold climate. The deer will pick out the bits alfalfa, but more importantly it becomes a warm bed on cold days and nights. I have three locations, with two being in wintering areas. One is thirty five yards from my blind. It’s under a big spruce, so stays dry and mostly snow free. I leave the brush around it for wind protection.

The other important thing about the hay, for me, is that the does and fawns bed in it leaving their scent. It is a buck magnet ore and during rut! In the one pic above, you can see the 5X7 standing in the hay. Bucks will stand there smelling, lip curling and peeing on their hocks. I can’t shoot them right there, but if they come or go the right direction, I can.

Bears are the biggest obstacle to using grain, in my case “cob”. I carefully monitor the weather and cameras to make sure no bears have been around for sometime. After having no bears for three weeks now, I hand scatter about two pounds of cob where the salt blocks are. That’s the main short transition trail going across the creek gully. The regulars know that eventually food will be available here. Usually by mid to late November, I can start gradually increasing the amount. And, although the bigger bucks don’t eat, they do check for does and will often just stand right there waiting.

My deer hunting future and fortunes depend solely on a healthy doe herd and fawn survival. The coyotes have been ruthless on the fawns the last few years so winter carry over is critical. I’ll feed the deer until the snow moves them off to the big fir stands until spring.

07-Nov-17
Im really enjoying following along with your hunt and I cant wait to see your trophy pictures of you and the 5x7. Best of luck!

07-Nov-17
It’s not quite shooting light yet, but a doe and fawn just passed through

Further to the feeding. By early to mid December, I’ll have “new” bucks show up for the food. A couple of years ago I had pics of four 4X4 at once languishing and eating to recover from the rut. I’m convinced that these bucks were born here and dispersed after their yearling fall. But this food source is imprinted on their minds and when conditions are harsh, they will return. I will likely never see them during the season but that’s ok with me. If the overall herd gets more than they giveI don’t mind helping out.

Now all this only appplies to my area where it’s bush mule deer and very little farm land and what there is is beef pasture and hay.

07-Nov-17
Just had a big buck sidehilling about a hundred yards south of me!! Couldn’t get a good look because of the trees but I could see he is very dark with lots of mass as some junk. The bucks often cruise through that way to scent check my bench. Too bad there are no does here right now. Hopefully he will circle back sometime today, I’d love to get a good look at him!

I really like thick, gnarly racks and will take looks over score most days.

07-Nov-17
Just had a doe pas through, kid of twitchy. And I be gat a fawn bleating repeatedly from over in the direction the thick buck went. Could be he’s harassing a fawn that has the bad luck to come into estrous in her first fall.

Could be an eventful day!!

07-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Big 3X3 with long brows just tailed a doe through. He definitely had that “feeling”.

07-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Just after 11:00 now and snowing lightly. This girl enjoys some turnip tops while she waits for her two fawns to catch up

07-Nov-17
Appears they may be hearing your camera or possibly your teeth chattering as they all seem to be looking at you.

07-Nov-17
Haha, yeah Ron, I think they’re hearing my guts gurgling from too much coffee!! I eat and sip coffee between deer and naps so the struggle is to not have to sneak out of the blind and find a handy log to hang over.

07-Nov-17
Confusing times for a young buck fawn. One has been alternating between trying to nurse on his mom and mounting her. All attempts have been met with a big “NO”. The last humping got him a thumping. And hooves are not really designed to relieve his urges either. Oh well, maybe next year.

07-Nov-17
Great thread Rod!

Can't wait to see your smiling mug in the same pic as the 5x7!!!

Mark

07-Nov-17
I can’t wait either, Mark!!

I just caught a quick glimpse of another buck diagonally down towards the creek gully. Pretty sure it was neither of the bucks I sent earlie today. Lighter colours horns and less mass. Maybe BrokenBeam making a sweep through or a new buck. Lots of cover where I last saw him and once he’s into creek bottom I can’t see him. He could pop up right in front of me or walk out of the country. Can only wait and hope.

07-Nov-17
Two does just went shooting up the hill from the creek bottom, which probably means the buck is in there. If he eventually follows the does, I’ll get a good look. He may stand in there for quite awhile or he may have walked through already. I hope he gets a craving for turnip and radish salad!!

07-Nov-17
Ok, nothing showed from the bottom and we’re down to that last magic hour. I have one doe feeding in a little meadow about eighty yards away She’ll be my early warning alert.

07-Nov-17
I thought the magic was going to happen!! With about fifteen minutes of shooting light left, a doe and then another came from the west, which is sort'a my blind side. I have a little peep hole that I can stand up and look out, down that way. I did that and saw a fawn and forty yards from my blind was a tall, wide rack! I didn't have my binoculars in my hand and the view is screened by small trees. But it looked like a mature buck!! Maybe the one I'd seen and lost in the creek bottom. The fawn started to come and I just assumed the buck would follow in a few minutes. I wanted that couple of minutes to get in my chair and bow in hand and ready for the shot if he was the buck I wanted. Well that's all that happened! I waited and it got dark. It was the exact same scenario as my first night in the blind.

So what happened? Did he smell me or hear something? Or did he just have one of those that old buck intuitions? And I guess there is just not enough estrous scent in the air yet to make them loose all caution.

Back in the morning for another round.

08-Nov-17
Can you use any estrous scent there to maybe peek his curiosity just enough to get a shot?

08-Nov-17
Good morning All. It’s clear and 13 F with almost no wind. The Old Man in the Moon is not half the man he was a week ago. But still plenty enough that I didn’t need a headlamp to walk in. We’ll see what the day brings.

Nick, I’ve never had any luck with any deer scents. I’ve run drag lines in and hung wicks where I could watch them. Hung for cams. I’ve watched rutty bucks pass by with inches of a fresh wick and not even take notice. The only scent I use now is Buck Experts Mare’s Urine for moose and that stuff is gold. I just have to be patient and let the does do their work. They will bring the boys by, but some are strictly nocturnal. I have to be here when a shooter slips up.

Good luck to everyone else out today. I entertain myself reading the other live hunts.

08-Nov-17
This is a GREAT thread for those of use really busy this year. Keep it coming - am loving it!

Nothing like a giant muley to mess with your head. Hope you get him!

08-Nov-17
"And hooves are not really designed to relieve his urges either. Oh well, maybe next year." That cracked me up! Good luck out there!!

08-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Why didn’t I think of this before? My circulation isn’t what it was and my fingers and toes get cold quick if Im not moving. I use the little chemical packs in my pockets and boots. The trouble was always getting the pack in the boots. Trying to hold them on my toes while pulling socks on or having them bunched up in my boots. Couple days ago I cut the ends off a pair of old socks. Now I just slip that toe piece on and adjust the pack inside where I want it. Slide my feet into the boots and good to go

08-Nov-17
Rod, they make toe heaters with adhesive.....I would think Canadian Tire would carry some:)

Stay on that 5x7 as he is a bruiser!!!

Mark

08-Nov-17
Mark, being a cheap senior, I buy the big boxes on sale at the end of the season.

Well finally some action!! It’s just about noon and a doe came in with a buck fawn trailing tentavely a ways behind. When he got close she put the run on him good and proper. Maybe not her fawn or maybe it was Little Humper and she was fed up with his antics. Anyway about three minutes later she comes back with the thick 3X3 right on her tail. ThickThree trails her around in tight circles for a couple minutes with no acceptance from her. Then suddenly its like he forgets all about it and just saunters off.

He gone, she’s gone and the fawn’s gone. I’m left lonely again.

08-Nov-17
Isn't that the way deer hunting goes!

08-Nov-17
Now a great big fork just walked out of the creek bottom and followed the doe’s trail. Never seen him before and his genes should be wiped out!

08-Nov-17
Since you are in a blind you should think about changing into boots that are warm and fuzzy. That way you will be nice and comfy like you are watching hockey at home. Haha.

08-Nov-17
Sage, I like to think I’ve suffered a little to earn my chances. But just a very little. Lol.

Those are not the bucks I’m hoping to see but it’s encouraging to see trailing and daytime activity.

08-Nov-17
Ambush, get some arctic shield boot blankets to slip on in your blind. They'll keep your feet warm on even the coldest days. Well worth the $$! Good luck this afternoon!

08-Nov-17
A fawn was just running back and forth, bleating for his momma. She must be “busy” somewhere nearby.

08-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Facing west
Ambush's embedded Photo
Facing west
Looking at some other Live Hunts, I just realized that I forgot the all important pics of the view in all directions. You’ve seen my view out the front to the south. So here first is what I see looking West.

08-Nov-17

08-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Looking east
Ambush's embedded Photo
Looking east

08-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
And finally, north
Ambush's embedded Photo
And finally, north

08-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
And just like that!

BIG BUCK DOWN!!!!

6X7 and lots of mass! It’s getting dark fast and I have to get him out of here. I’ll need headlights for pics.

08-Nov-17
Congratulations, can’t wait to see more.

08-Nov-17
Congratulations!!!

08-Nov-17
Wow Rod!!!!! Congratulations! Well deserved! Bet it was a Spitfire!

08-Nov-17
Wow! Beast! Way to go Ambush! Congrats!

08-Nov-17
Yeeeeeehaw!!! Way to go ambush!!! Cant wait to see more pics and hear the story!

Honestly, this is my favorite yearly thread, tho last year was the first i followed, not sure if u did it before or not. Favorite semi live hunt thread after kia's elk hunt....

08-Nov-17
Awesome deer, congrats!

08-Nov-17
Wow what a beast congrats!

08-Nov-17
I knew it was just a matter of time. Congrats

08-Nov-17
Good for you bro! I’ve loved this mule deer thread from the start. Congrats and very well deserved. Can’t wait for the story and more pics!

08-Nov-17
What a tank, congrats!

08-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Just home. I’ll add some details after work tomorrow. But for now, taped him at 218” gross no typical , 213” net NT with a 190” typical main frame. Definitely the buck of my lifetime!!!

09-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo

09-Nov-17
Wow! I've been following along, really enjoyed it...it sure can happen fast! Congrats, a great, great buck! Kevin

09-Nov-17
WOW!!! Way to go man, that's what you get when you hold out and stick to a goal. Congrats on an unreal buck! Looking forward to hearing how it all went down.

09-Nov-17
That's awesome, congrats

09-Nov-17
Damn!! nice buck man.

That was fast----->

Thanks for taking us along

Good luck, Robb

09-Nov-17
Dang, that thing is a BRUTE! Thanks for sharing your story with us and a HUGE CONGRATS!!!

09-Nov-17
Congrats, once in a life time deer!

09-Nov-17
Wow! Those forks are incredible..

09-Nov-17
Congrats! Can't wait to hear the story...

09-Nov-17
What an incredible buck!!!

Congratulations!!!

09-Nov-17
Wow, what an incredible animal! Please give us the story about how the hunt unfolded. Did you happen to know about this deer or did he just randomly show up? Im not going to lie, I was enjoying following along with your hunt so much I am a little upset that the hunt is now over but I cant be more happy for you that you took a deer of many life times.

09-Nov-17
Persistence pays off! Congrats on one heck of a buck

09-Nov-17
MONSTER BUCK... Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-Nov-17
My GAWD what a BUCK! Tremendous story from last year to this year following this beast. So excited and happy that you were able to make it happen on a buck of a lifetime! Congratulations!!

09-Nov-17
A GIANT!!! Congrats Rod!!!

Bring on the details (and more pics!!) when you can!!!

Mark

09-Nov-17
Heck ya man! Many congratulations for your patience and persistence. Simply awesome!

09-Nov-17
Look at that neck!

09-Nov-17
Wow! Just Wow! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. It was amazing!

09-Nov-17
Holy cow and Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the story.

09-Nov-17
That's incredible! Congrats!

09-Nov-17
Congrats Rod. What an amazing buck. I have that bucks right side shed from last year and he’s definitely put on a lot of mass and length. Awesome job.

09-Nov-17

BcSkyline's embedded Photo
BcSkyline's embedded Photo

09-Nov-17
when they say a season can change in a matter is seconds, you proved it.... Awesome buck!

09-Nov-17
Mon or man!! What a beauty! Those all day sits are tough but that proves it's worth it! The box blind definitely makes the long day more bearable. Way to go!

09-Nov-17
Awesome, just goes to show the importance of doing these live hunts correctly. Once you showed photos of all directions the rest fell into place. ;) That's a beauty.

09-Nov-17
Oh....my....goodness!!!

Congrats big guy!!!!!!!

09-Nov-17
Thanks guys! Just on coffee st work and still excited about it. I texted my buddy this morning and asked him, “is it wrong that I went to the garage this morning and just lovingly held the antlers like a new grandson?”.

Chris, I was wondering who had that shed. If you ever want to part with it, I’d love to put it next to the mount!!

09-Nov-17
Incredible buck and awesome read! Congratulations!!!

09-Nov-17
Outstanding! What a giant!

09-Nov-17
Sounds good Rod, you may have to wrestle it away from my 3 year old though. Lol.

09-Nov-17
Congratulations, that's awesome! Can you give us a few measurements, outside spread, maybe beam length, so it's easier to get an idea of how big he is? With that giant body and neck (the deer, not you...), I'm sure it's probably even bigger than it looks in the field photos.

Marvin

09-Nov-17
Chris, I have three, three year grandsons, so I do know a few tricks. He may beat me in a wrestling match, so I’m willing to do some trading.

Marvin, I’ll put up some numbers tonight. I was happily surprised at the mass. I think the main beams are 25” and 24”. H1’s are 5 1/4”. I’d have to look at the paper for anything else.

09-Nov-17
Beautiful buck, congrats!!!

09-Nov-17
Incredible. Just..... wow. Like that..... can't wait for the rest of the story.... wow.....

09-Nov-17
Rod, you are “normal” caressing those antlers! You WOULD believe how many times I fondled the Dall and Stone horns! It continues for weeks on a critter like your buck.

09-Nov-17

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
One off my camera. We had trouble with batteries dying on phones.

09-Nov-17
Wow!! Congratulations.

10-Nov-17
Kurt's right, you are normal.

Still fondling my elk antlers from September. Love feeling the entire rack and the smell of the antlers is intoxicating

I lovingly fondled my caribou and Dall antlers/horns until I had to take them to the taxidermist for mounting. Several months at least.

If my wife would let me, I would keep my elk rack in whatever room I was in while at home (including the bedroom!) just make sure I was not in a dream and going to wake up to a world where it didn't happen...

Enjoy that trophy! You deserve it!

10-Nov-17
Nice Elk!!!

Nothing like a Canadian Muley.....at least now some of next years fawns will make it through their first year....for sure that buck was eating them all...

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing

10-Nov-17
What a buck! Looking forward to the story....

10-Nov-17
Any chance you weighed him???

10-Nov-17
That is an amazing deer! Congrats

10-Nov-17
I started a thread titled "Muley '17, the last fifteen minutes" for those that are interested.

Thanks again everybody for all the encouragement and positive comments.

• Sitka Gear