Mathews Inc.
Lost buck.....arrow smells like fish!!??
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Jasper 03-Nov-17
SixLomaz 03-Nov-17
drycreek 03-Nov-17
Bou'bound 03-Nov-17
Glunt@work 03-Nov-17
Glunt@work 03-Nov-17
Bowriter 03-Nov-17
Fulldraw1972 03-Nov-17
Pigsticker 03-Nov-17
kellyharris 03-Nov-17
Deerplotter 03-Nov-17
Swampbuck 03-Nov-17
Matt Rehor 03-Nov-17
notme 03-Nov-17
Owl 03-Nov-17
WV Mountaineer 03-Nov-17
ahunter55 03-Nov-17
Joey Ward 03-Nov-17
Brian M. 03-Nov-17
elk yinzer 03-Nov-17
Andrew W. Manukas 03-Nov-17
Jasper 03-Nov-17
Martin Man 03-Nov-17
Bowriter 04-Nov-17
Pigsticker 04-Nov-17
scentman 04-Nov-17
Jasper 04-Nov-17
Bowriter 04-Nov-17
Busta'Ribs 05-Nov-17
osage 05-Nov-17
03-Nov-17
Shot a buck this morning broadside at 20 yards. Good, solid thump sound when I hit him. Waited an hour and started looking. Arrow had pretty good blood on it, brown and white hairs on the ground. No sign of a gut shot in spite of a few white hairs. Arrow did not smell like gut, but did smell like fish.....just like the shad spray fisherman use. Pretty good bright blood for 60 yards, then to drops every 10 yards until we lost it. 3 of us searched for hours with no luck. Not done looking though. What organ could have caused the shad smell? Arrow was not sticky and did not have any meat on it. No stomach matter on arrow or trail. Thanks

03-Nov-17
It was a mermaid dressed as deer for halloween.

03-Nov-17
I got nothing.....

03-Nov-17
Are you sure he was not hit far back. Like maybe in the bass?

03-Nov-17
Tough one. You likely hit the alosa sapidissima.

Seriously though I got nothing. Hope he turns up.

03-Nov-17

03-Nov-17
You positive it was a buck?

03-Nov-17
I have heard of something else smelling like fish but never an arrow after shot threw a buck.

03-Nov-17
What was the deers reaction on hit? How did it run or walk off? Walk all drainages in the area and thickets. Many a wounded deer dies with its head in water.

03-Nov-17
Sounds like you shot a antlered doe with high testosterone

03-Nov-17
There you go... if it smells like a fish obviously it will go to water!

03-Nov-17
Bou, I spit Jim and Coke all over myself, LMAO!! Good one!

03-Nov-17
I shot a doe one time in front of the shoulder and a little low. I too smelled that fish smell on the arrow. Blood trail similar to what you described. Ironically I saw her about a week later and she was outa range for a shot. I’m not sure if she survived but my experience of pass through shots has odds not in their favor for survival,though they may live for a few months. Hope your search has a happy ending. Keep looking, you never know. Once you get to grips, get back out there, it’s that time of year.... it will be over before you know it!

03-Nov-17
You sure it wasnt a doe and your arrow gave it a parting shot...are you hunting by an estuary?

03-Nov-17
Brisket

03-Nov-17
Bou for the win

03-Nov-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
this. Rare & very tough to kill or even see.

03-Nov-17
Agree with bou. Sounds like a crappie shot.

03-Nov-17
Doesn't sound like you hit him forward or back, probably right in the minnow.

03-Nov-17
The deer had some kind of abcess or infection and you happened to hit there. Thats all I got, no internal organ I know of would do that.

03-Nov-17
I really eel for you. Did it smell muskie at all??

03-Nov-17
Shot a buck this morning broadside at 20 yards. Good, solid thump sound when I hit him. Waited an hour and started looking. Arrow had pretty good blood on it, brown and white hairs on the ground. No sign of a gut shot in spite of a few white hairs. Arrow did not smell like gut, but did smell like fish.....just like the shad spray fisherman use. Pretty good bright blood for 60 yards, then to drops every 10 yards until we lost it. 3 of us searched for hours with no luck. Not done looking though. What organ could have caused the shad smell? Arrow was not sticky and did not have any meat on it. No stomach matter on arrow or trail. Thanks

03-Nov-17
I have done the same thing with the same smell. The shot was low. Never hit any organs.

04-Nov-17
I believe Bou and I would rather enjoy sharing a campfire. My first thought was Pigsticker was using his scrape freshener in the area. Second, I thought, it must be some sort of interuterine hit. Then, I thought, I can see this one getting us all sued for sexual hairassment.

04-Nov-17
Bowriter, never did I say that I hunt scrapes. I used to read you a lot but 30 years ago but technology took over. Hell, I remember when chuck Adams gun hunted.

On this one I was back of liver in front of diaphragm. Very little info.

I may take a picture of big public land buck today since all I have is a doe tag. Got my two brothers on the prime stands.

I wish Jasper would come with more information on the search.

04-Nov-17
Brother killed a buck some yrs ago and he smelled like you describe... meat turned out bad, I think he was issued another buck tag.

04-Nov-17
No luck finding the deer. Crazy. And all you wise guys can hop up on a perch and kiss my bass! lol

04-Nov-17
I wish y'all would quit carping on this fishue.

05-Nov-17
Reminds me of my youth, when I followed 3 important rules.

If it smells like fish, do as you wish, if it smells like chicken, give it a lickin, but if it smells like cologne, leave it alone...

Sorry you didn't find him.

05-Nov-17
Are you sure it wasn't your mustache you were smellin' ?

• Sitka Gear