Eagle_eye_Andy 04-Nov-17
Grousenut 04-Nov-17
Bowtechman 04-Nov-17
Eagle_eye_Andy 04-Nov-17
Woods Walker 04-Nov-17
KsRancher 04-Nov-17
JL 04-Nov-17
04-Nov-17
This evening I shot a nice buck at about 30 yards. He was standing broadside but He flinched at the sound of the bow and I hit him right behind the shoulder as he was severely quartering away. The flight path was easy to see with my lighted knock. He took off running. The shot was not a pass through. The problem is that I could not find any blood because the snow started falling at near white out conditions. I searched for hours with no luck. Does anyone have anything tips to help me recover this deer in the fresh snow cover in the morning or any guesses as to what internal anatomy I may have hit? Thanks for the input

04-Nov-17
You may have got 1 lung, but hard to say , if he moved on the shot their is no telling what you actually hit. Get a good blood trailing dog is your best bet for recovering the deer. Forrest

04-Nov-17
In day light you might find blood on brush or if there is good blood under the snow when stepped on it will bleed through the snow when stepped on. The dog is the best bet before you put to much scent by tracking area up looking for blood. Good Luck on recovery.

04-Nov-17
Watch for crows or buzzards.

04-Nov-17
Do what has been mentioned, but this is a classic case of why I don't like shooting an arrow at game at much more than 20 yards. Too much can go wrong the further the distance is regardless of how accurate you are and I'm sure you are. I have no doubt that the arrow went right where you aimed it, but by the time it got there that changed. It's happened to me, I know. IMO bowhunting is a short distance endeavor.

04-Nov-17
Have hit 3 deer like this. Recovered one and I’m 80% sure it was because we pushed it a lot. Not much blood at all after 50 yards from shot and in every case blood was pin pricks every few yards. I shot a stud of a buck on the eve of Nebraska’s rifle season forward just like you described. Arrow broke about 6 inches from broadhead. There was good blood at the broke arrow. It got dark and started to rain we were finding finger tipped sized blood drops where he would stop and we pushed him into some thick CRP never to be seen again. I hope your outcome is better than mine!

04-Nov-17
My guess is he was quartering away too much for a tight behind shoulder hit. May have only hit the near lung. Look for blood above the ground. Are dogs legal there?

04-Nov-17
Update: I found him this morning. No blood trail was ever found. The grid pattern worked well! Thanks everyone for the input

04-Nov-17
Great news! Way to stick with it. Post a photo of him!

04-Nov-17
How far did he go? I'll bet the body cavity was filled with blood, no? One lung? Two?

04-Nov-17
Glad you found him. I posted the other thread before I seen this one

04-Nov-17
Pics???

• Sitka Gear