The last savage 04-Nov-17
DanWesson357 05-Nov-17
Scar Finga 06-Nov-17
t-roy 06-Nov-17
T Mac 06-Nov-17
04-Nov-17

caribou77's embedded Photo
caribou77's embedded Photo
Every time you step in the woods you learn something. Or at least you hope too. Thursday November 2nd I learned a new lesson. One that paid off fairly well. The prerut is kicking off pretty good here in Iowa. I told my boss I was taking a half day thursday. The weather was calm and damp. Wind was NW which put me in a stand between 2 bedding areas, with a giant cornfield to my west and the best creek crossing ever to the north east. I eased through the woods and was settled in stand by 11:30. Today was going to be a 7 hour sit. By 12:30 the first deer came through. A fawn walked 10 yards to my west. I lost her after she was about 80 yards north of me. A little time went on and I proceeded to take my normal almost asleep in stand nap. (yes I wear a harness and I set it so tight when I nap that 2" of movement will wake me and not let me fall anywhere). 50 minutes pass and I hear a large commotion and deer running. I grab my bow and get ready for a buck chasing a doe to come by my stand. Instead what I see is that same fawn. She decided to be a kid and start running for fun. She proceeded to make 10 hot laps. She would run to the base of my tree, slam on the breaks and sprint back north 150 yards. Back and forth. She finally wore herself out and walked past the tree open mouth breathing. Huffing and puffing like she just sprinted a marathon. She jumped in the creek splashed around and drank as well. When she was done she walked to the north out of sight.

And this is where my lesson will begin. Just like having a live hen hanging outside your blind while turkey hunting, nothing makes better deer noise than a deer. With the prerut kicking off and bucks nosing does I took to my grunt tube and made a few short grunts. Then followed it up with a rattle sequence. That fawn made so much noise I took advantage of it. Using her chasing sounds and my grunts made for the perfect buck chasing a doe around noises.

Well it paid off as I heard walking behind me before I could even put the rattle bag back on the hook. I looked back and saw a decent rack. Grabbed my bow and got ready. Right away i realized it was a 2 1/2 year old 8pt. 105"ish buck. Not what I was hoping for but fun. Seconds pass and 30 yards behind him real antlers pop out. I now know this is the real deal. He was a wide 10 pt. He followed that 8pt to my tree. Still amazes me how they know EXACTLY where that noise comes from! After some re-positioning in the tree, some deep breathes to calm my pounding heart and getting control of my legs that were seemingly doing the involuntary chicken dance, I drew back and made a perfect shot at 10 yards. And by perfect I mean, it worked. Broke his spine and he dropped in his tracks. 60 hours in stand this fall over 15 sits. I was lucky enough to tag another nice buck. I've been fortunate to go on a lot of hunts but nothing boils my blood like a good whitetail with my bow. Love it and I'm lucky enough to live in a place that I get to do it often.

So todays lesson, nothing makes better deer sounds than deer, use them to your advantage. Good luck my friends!

04-Nov-17
Nice buck Luke. Congrats!!!

04-Nov-17
Congrats.

04-Nov-17
Congratulations, nice buck. Like they say make other noises when rattling.

04-Nov-17
Wow. Nice!

04-Nov-17
Awesome buck, I similar. This time of year if deer gets down wind of me and starts blowing I start rattling.

Anyone that has been around a real buck fight knows that the woods explode when they go at it.

04-Nov-17
Great story and experience. Thanks for sharing. Very nice trophy.

04-Nov-17
Nice buck and story.

04-Nov-17
Nothing like live decoys! Congrats

04-Nov-17
Congrats !

04-Nov-17
Good job man

04-Nov-17
Nice buck. I like the police also. Looks big without the hunter 15 feet behind

04-Nov-17
Great job !!that is experience speaking...

05-Nov-17
Congrats.

05-Nov-17
Great story. Congrats. Enjoyed reading.

06-Nov-17
Greta Buck Man! A big whitetail is about 4th on my list:)

06-Nov-17
Congrats on a great deer Luke!

06-Nov-17
Great buck and taking advantage of the noises around you makes perfect sense. Congrats!

• Sitka Gear