t-roy 07-Nov-17
Tracker 07-Nov-17
arbe25 07-Nov-17
t-roy 07-Nov-17
arbe25 07-Nov-17
TGbow 07-Nov-17
Lost Arra 07-Nov-17
05-Nov-17
I am now using a rock climbing harness instead of a FB harness and are extremely happy. My only question is what is the proper why to rig a linemans rope to the front single attachment loop so I can safely climb a tree without a climbing rope installed. I know I can buy a RC harness with steel side attachment loops, but I would prefer using one with out them.

05-Nov-17
I have a Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness that I just bought. I have not used it yet because I haven't been hunting yet. I bought some 1 inch tubular webbing from REI, weaved it thru the haul loops, and tied a knot with loops on each end so I can hook my linemans rope to the loops with caribeners. I did zip tie the tubular webbing to the harness just to keep it in place. I made sure each loop is about an inch or so to the back of my hips, in other words you dont want the loops too far forward of your hips.

05-Nov-17

TGbow's embedded Photo
TGbow's embedded Photo

05-Nov-17

TGbow's embedded Photo
TGbow's embedded Photo

05-Nov-17
These are not my photos but this is pretty much what I did.

05-Nov-17

EJG's embedded Photo
EJG's embedded Photo
I attchad two big Drings on the main waist belt in front of first gear loops and behind the straps that go under the legs. Take them off when I don't need them

Mine are 2200lb rated each, and they spread the load nicely and stay in place .

05-Nov-17
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will give them a try. Does anyone know if it is safe to simply attach the lineman's belt to the front loop after running it around the tree?

05-Nov-17

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
I just have a strong Military webbing just going around my Rock climbing harness with velcro attached it to the RC. Been using it this way for 3 years. I climb alot.

07-Nov-17
Darton Jager, you can use the lineman's rope attached in front. It works in a pinch, but IMO it is more comfortable when its attached on the sides, but then you have to modify the RC in some way. I would say if a hang-on is your primary carry-in/carry-out hunting method you should find a safe and easy side attachment method. Otherwise with a front attachment lineman's rope it might be in your way when hanging sticks. Try it and you'll figure it out.

07-Nov-17
I have 2 RC harnesses, one has the "D-rings attached with padded legs and belt the other does not have the rings so I plan to sew webbing onto both sides of the belt either with "D-ring permanently attached or with just a loop so I can attache Carabiners or loop my safety rope thru it.

07-Nov-17
You're going to lose the balancing effect of the lineman's belt if you have the single attachment point in the front. Just physics, it's like a chair with 3 legs instead of 4. Purely as a fall restraint, all else being equal, it's fine, but it's not going to be as functional or comfortable for hands-free hanging of stands and sticks.

I have mine rigged like THBow, same harness too. Just 1" webbing, but you want to make sure it is threaded through a rated loop (on the Alpine, the rear loop or haul loop is rated to 12 kN). If it isn't rigged to a decently rated loop (you do your own physics) and you fall, you are likely to just slip out of it. Note the side gear loops are NOT rated for falls on any harness I am aware of.

07-Nov-17
Just got my Ropeman 1 ascender in the mail yesterday, and the 11 mm static rope the other day. Looking at getting a second rc harness to rig up use for hanging stands, trimming,etc., & use the Petzl Pandion that I’ve got now for my safety harness hunting only, as my stands are all pre-hung already.

Any suggestions on a rc harness that would work best for using specifically for the linesman belt?

07-Nov-17
I just use my Summit SOP to hang stands and switch to my Petzl when I hunt. I do have a system that I can add to my RCH and may Linesmans rope (also use the ropeman) but I find the SOP easier and more comfortable.

07-Nov-17
T-Roy, I use a petzl Pandion as well. I purchased 2 inch tubular webbing from REI and threaded it on the back waist belt of the harness. I don't remember what it is rated, but at least 15 kN or more. Then I threaded 1 inch tubular webbing through that, put a piece of rope in the ends and tied water knots on the ends. The piece of rope just keeps the loops from collapsing. You may have to play with the length of the 1inch webbing. The end of my loops are right at my hip bones and is very comfortable when hanging stands.

I really like this system because it's part of the harness now and doesn't add any weight since its just tubular webbing. I can take a pic and post.

I singed the ends of the webbing and also cut a tiny hole in the bottom fold of the 2 inch webbing to pass the little elastic straps that hold the back of the leg straps up. Singed that good as well.

07-Nov-17
arbe25

any pics of your rigging?

07-Nov-17
https://imgur.com/a/bmeha

This might work

07-Nov-17
I also use a Wildcountry Ropeman 1 ascender on my lienmans belt.

07-Nov-17

Lost Arra's embedded Photo
Lost Arra's embedded Photo

Lost Arra's Link
arbe25's link (I hope)

• Sitka Gear