Contributors to this thread:
Ty 05-Nov-17
Buffalo1 05-Nov-17
BackStraps 05-Nov-17
GF 05-Nov-17
Ty 06-Nov-17
APauls 06-Nov-17
05-Nov-17
Has anyone had much luck with buck bomb or any other scent? I have used several over the years and have never imo had a buck come in on it. Perhaps i am doing it wrong. Any suggestions?

05-Nov-17
A couple of years ago I was playing with Buck Bomb just to see if it would work. I sprayed in on a small tree about 3 ft. from the ground to get the wind to carry the scent. I had a small buck respond and he zeroed in on the tree. He could never figure out why the scent was on a tree. I was neat watching his response.

I have used Tink's #69 for years, pouring it in active scrapes and have had bucks respond and have killed one nice buck with the use of technique.

I think scents can be a nice additive during the right time of the year, but I do not believe they are the answer of all answers.

They are obviously pretty effective is some states have outlawed them, especially in states with serious CWD problems. JMHO

05-Nov-17
I’ve tried a few over the years. It does help direct them to a shooting lane under the right circumstances. Also work well in conjunction with a decoy.

05-Nov-17
“They are obviously pretty effective is some states have outlawed them, especially in states with serious CWD problems. JMHO”

More likely they’re outlawed because nobody wants CWD-contaminated deer whiz bringing more of it into the state from a “production facility”.

06-Nov-17
Yes I could see spraying a decoy being a great thing. I guess i was expecting it to be like a bait pile in a can, and i just have not seen that result. Has anyone?

06-Nov-17
Scent is nothing like a bait pile in a can. Scent is just that scent. Deer leave scent everywhere they walk. Why would it turn into a major draw? Imagine you could actually SEE scent. Watch a doe walk 100 yards. There is now a 100 yard "string of scent" on the ground that will be there for hours. Why would your one little amount of scent somehow bring deer running? Scent is everywhere. That's a marketing ploy more than anything.

Sure scents can be used to effectively up your odds in the right circumstance, ex to make a decoy setup more real, keep scrapes active, etc. but dropping a pile of tink's 69 isn't going to make them come running.

• Sitka Gear