GDx 07-Nov-17
WV Mountaineer 07-Nov-17
Z Barebow 08-Nov-17
Teeton 08-Nov-17
midwest 08-Nov-17
Z Barebow 08-Nov-17
SoDakSooner 08-Nov-17
06-Nov-17
Forgive me if I missed this topic somewhere. But I'm preparing for my first backcountry backpack elk hunt in a few year next fall. My local store has the Primus ETA lite stoves on sale for $40. The last backpack hunt I went on I carried a whitebox stove and bottles of methanol. How does the Primus stack up against similar stoves like Jetboil? What do you fellas recommend? Pros / Cons. Keeping in mind the sales price.

06-Nov-17
I bought a cheap stove off amazon, I think 13$. It wasn’t a Primus but something similar. My buddies with jet boils will hear their water in 2 minutes while it takes me 2 1/2. I guess mine might use more fuel but in 7 days I didn’t use an entire bottle of fuel and it was the smallest canister. Not as fancy but for heating water I’ll spend 20$ over 120$ all day long.

06-Nov-17
Is that 40 bucks for the the system? Meaning, the integrated pot and stove together? If so, its a good deal, and would likely fit the bill just fine. I have been using an MSR Pocket Rocket with an OliCamp XTS pot. That system looks very similar, and it has served me well. My only hesitation would be the auto ignition on the Primus. Looks like a potential for something to break. I kind of like the MSR, just turn the gas on and hold a match or lighter to it. Just seems like less to break or go wrong

06-Nov-17
I've seen many of these butane canister stoves- all good. essentially you have 2 choices;

1) compact/UL- where the tiny stove fits along with the canister inside a small pot

2) The Jetboil iterations- usually boil a few seconds faster but are heavier and bulkier

again- both good.

I like the MSR canisters....and have better luck with those at high elevation/ colder weather...all canisters are NOT equal.

06-Nov-17
I don't know what Jetboil the one guy up there's friends are using. But my Jetboil gets water for a mountain house boiling in less than a minute and one of the small bottles of fuel will do something like 20 liters of water. There's cheaper and there's lighter and combinations of that, but how do they do in the wind and what's there resale value when you want to try something new? I just bought an MSR Windmaster, haven't used it yet but think it's going to be sweet!

06-Nov-17
Oh and for info sake, Jetboil isn't a hunter friendly company and they won't warranty their pots if you use them to melt snow and you will ruin the pot if you do. MSR is hunter friendly and you can melt snow in their pot. Not that I've ever had to do that, but just in case, thinking about doing some snowshoe rabbit hunts here soon, might come in handy

06-Nov-17
Is your only stove use for boiling water? And for only one person?

07-Nov-17
I go along with the non- Jetboil crew....never really saw any difference between the $12 screw on the top of the green Coleman bottle to the MSR. I`m sure there are situations where the Jetboil is the way to go but a backcountry Elk hunt or Caribou drop camp I don`t think it matters much.

07-Nov-17
I was a “tiny stove” guy for years. When the Jetboils got down to their small iterations l got one and haven’t looked back. The difference “all in” considering the integrated system is about 2 ounces. The advantages in steadiness and packability more than make up for it. Jetboil has now come out with an even smaller system that may be the same or even a touch lighter than my old tiny stove system.

07-Nov-17
Agree with TXHunter. I thought JB was a gimmick until my sis gave me one for Christmas several years ago. It boils water WAY faster than any of the screw-top iterations I've used (Coleman, MSR Pocket Rocket, for example) and the stability of not having a loose pot of boiling water balanced on a tiny tripod in your tent vestibule is comforting.

I've gotten up to 27 Mountain House meals (combination of breakfasts, which take less than dinners) out of a single small butane cannister and my JB. Usually the water is boiling before I can get the MH opened and ready for the water.

07-Nov-17
I hate that Jetboil hates hunters.

07-Nov-17
Titan The prius that is on sale includes stove and pot combo. I think it also has a sort of tripod base the fuel canister sits in for support.

TD yes I just need to boil water for 1 man.

07-Nov-17
Just looking at the Primus and reading its description, for that price I'd say you can't go wrong.

07-Nov-17
Jetboil melts snow just fine. Do it all the time. Like others said. Fast, stabile and only 3 oz heavier.

07-Nov-17
If that includes pot I'd say buy it and be done with it. I've got the cheapie stoves that you can buy on ebay and amazon. I paid $6.53cdn for mine to my door. I've since bout 4 more as gifts. I carry two, but I've literally never had it not work perfectly. They are amazing. Even have piezo ignition.

07-Nov-17
The key with any stove and melting snow is that the flame can heat the pot so fast/hot that the metal itself can get damaged before enough water is created to disburse the heat. Plus the snow can "bridge" leaving a void underneath where the pot is blistering with no water on it. Taking things slow & easy would go a long way to ensure you don't damage to the pot.

07-Nov-17
The lightest Jetboil is listed at 12 oz.....and it goes up from there with the older ones over a pound.

The small stoves like the crux I have and MSR Pocket Rocket are 2.6 oz then add a Ti pot 3.5-4 oz puts you under 7 oz. all in.

Personally, The weight isn't a make or break with me....but I do like the compactness of the small stoves and that there are no plastic pieces that can break vs the Jetboil versions.

MSR makes both styles- their wind burner version is very highly rated, about the same cost as Jetboil and weighs in at 14.5 oz.

07-Nov-17
MSR pocket rocket has my vote. I use it with a very small aluminum pot I've had since boy scouts when alone, and a larger aluminum pot when with others.

07-Nov-17
I'm kind of an primus or msr guy. when I elk hunt I use a snow peak pot which is bigger than my summer hiking pot. some of the stoves are wider or smaller and can affect the way you pot sits on them. I always use a windscreen and don't over heat water. I can normally get 10-12 days on a gas cylinder. I also like a non jetboil stove for a couple or reasons. 1. I can bring whatever size pot suits me better for that trip. 2. I can also bring my fry pan and fry up elk steaks. 3 I can use (and have) my stove to start a fire 4. I can roast marshmallows on it. I removed the igniter from my primus stove to save weight. I will add that I have 2 primus stoves. the old micron is pretty solid and is my go to stove. the middle aged micron had the supports break off. the primus replacement has oddball supports does not pack as well.

07-Nov-17

WV Mountaineer's Link
Here's what I use. I don;t back pack as much as many here but, I can guarantee I eat more meals off a back pack stove, every year, than probably everyone on this thread combined. I carry it in my truck and during spring, fall, and winter while working in the woods. Nothing like a hot meal on a cold, wet day. I use an olicamp pot. I can boil 8 ounces of cold water in about 3 minutes. If I had the better olicamp pot, I'd say no problems in 2.5 minutes. I've used it to fry taters, fish, deer meat, boil eggs, boil water for ramen and WISE meals, etc....

I've bought quite a few of these as gifts and, three for myself. The first one is still going strong. When I bought mine, they were $4. A small bottle of fuel last for weeks just cooking lunch too. God Bless

08-Nov-17
I normally use an Esbit stove or an alcohol stove. I also have the same as WV, but I have never used it. (I bought it as one year there was a fire alert and I could only use a stove with an "off" switch. But they cancelled before I arrived)

08-Nov-17

Teeton's Link
I use the exact same stove as Wv Mountaineer's uses and have for many years. I use this pot in link with the stoves outer legs folded in. It work like a jet boil. Boiling water fast and saving fuel. But you can use this stove for other pots. Ed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-Maple-Outdoor-Camping-Hanging-Pot-Backpacking-Cooking-Picnic-Pot-Cookware/172745257735?epid=1534129806&hash=item28386b7307:g:LDAAAOSwVJhZTUdS

08-Nov-17
Z Barebow is being modest. He eats Mountain House right out of the bag. He don't need no stinkin stove!

08-Nov-17
Midwest- That was when I was young and stupid. Now I am old and stupid. BIG difference! LOL!

08-Nov-17
Pocket rocket , msr fuel, GSI kettle. Everything fits inside the kettle. Ive also got a cheap $8 chinese knockoff of the pocket rocket. It works fine. Gave it to my brother. No noticeable difference in performance. The pocket rocket is a tiny bit smaller and has a better stand for the kettle, but each performs equally well.

• Sitka Gear