lewis 12-Nov-17
Bowriter 12-Nov-17
SteveB 12-Nov-17
BULELK1 13-Nov-17
LKH 13-Nov-17
The last savage 13-Nov-17
lewis 14-Nov-17
09-Nov-17
Well all tomorrow will mark my 71 years on this rock called earth.It will be spent like so many others starting in a tree somewhere on our Tn. Property hoping a nice buck will make a mistake.My wife and hunting buddy the last 28 years will be accompaning me with the same thoughts in her head. I have hunting these ghosts for over 50 years and never tire of it.I must say I sure don't move near as fast but I still move. Over the last 3 years age has taken a toll.Rotator cuff surgery 3 yrs.ago was really tough.The next year a pacemaker I call it a turbocharger was installed.Last yr.detached retina which really scared me but my vision was saved.Yes these golden yrs.were not meant for sissies. When I go to the stand in the morning I'll probably take a book I read umpteen times the old man and the boy.It is such a good read and is fitting for the occasion . I officially retired this yr.ans after 50 plus yrs.it was time.Someone had a post about will you hunt more if you retire.I would answer that probably but our business is family owned and they all know how hunting and fishing is so important in my life that they supported my passion.I didn't miss much. So I'll be in that tree in morning looking back some chuckles and I'm sure some tears will occur.Good luck to you all kill a big one tomorrow . Lewis

09-Nov-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I can relate to everything you said. Life throws us some bumps, curves & even a mountain or two to climb as we go through life. I move much slower & park closer to my stand area but like you, I get there. Good luck in the rest of your season. Mine has been pretty slim but any day I am in the stand is a time to relax, reflect & remember so many of my friends/family that are gone or can't enjoy the outdoors as we do.. I turn 76 the 21st & this is my 61st year of bowhunting. WE are blessed.

09-Nov-17
Hope you have a Happy Birthday, but since you’ll be in a tree doing what you love, how can it be anything but that ?!

09-Nov-17
Shoot a big one on your birthday.

09-Nov-17
Happy Birthday and enjoy!

09-Nov-17
Happy birthday and enjoy every single minute of the great lives we have!!

Mark

09-Nov-17
Lewis Happy Birthday and good luck on your birthday hunt.

I'm 65 (as of Tuesday) and don't plan on slowing down whether it's at work here on the ranch, or at work, or bowhunting. One of our closest hunting buddies is 78 and is like a Timex.

Folks like you, Ahunter55, Bowriter and the other 70-somethings are inspirations to us youngsters.

09-Nov-17
Interesting disclosure I've killed nice bucks on Nov.8,9,11,12 never on my b-day so you know I'll be there.Lewis

09-Nov-17
Good luck Lewis. Tomorrow marks 77 years my Dad has been on this earth. Can't tell you how many deer he's killed on Nov 10th. It's a truckload. Have fun and enjoy family. This is the first year in 14 he hasn't made the 1500 mile trip out to South Dakota to hunt with me. Can't walk anymore. It really bothers me. Enjoy all you can. He always loved the sunsets and sunrises.

09-Nov-17
Enjoy your day!

09-Nov-17
Best of luck Lewis! And happy birthday . Hunt

09-Nov-17
Happy Birthday & hope for a BBD for your present. Am 72 & still hitting it hard, but missed my CO. hunt this year as both of my hunting buddys had health problems. I told them kids (42 & 51) to take better care of them selfs. Well there is alway next year God Willing. 58 years for me.

09-Nov-17
Enjoy the stand time, your due for a birthday buck. Hope to be where your at-at 71. Keep it up and good luck

09-Nov-17
Happy Birthday and the best of luck to you!

09-Nov-17
Happy Birthday lewis ! Im just a few months behind you. Turned 70 in March, and like you, I park a little closer these days. I saw ten deer in two different places today though, and it's still as much fun as it used to be, maybe more, as there's not as much pressure to kill something now.

09-Nov-17
Best of luck, Lewis! Happy Birthday!

09-Nov-17
Happy birthday Lewis.

I just joined the 70 Club a couple of days ago. I have truly been blessed in so many ways during my visit here on earth.

Tomorrow, I will making the maiden hunt in my home state. Suppose to be clear and a wind chill of 34 in the AM. Should be a great morning.

Hunt hard and hunt safe.

09-Nov-17
Happy birthday Lewis. I will turn 49 in a couple months and can only hope to still be around and bow hunting in 20 plus years. I hope you get a biggin!

09-Nov-17
Happy Birthday to all of you! Neat thread, thanks.

09-Nov-17
Happy birthday Lewis! Hopefully, I’m still able to climb in a stand at 71 and enjoy it as much as I’m doing right now.

09-Nov-17
Happy birthday lewis! You bought a Duplex pack belt off me last year. So anyone that needs a Duplex belt at 70 is pretty impressive to me. If your ever out Bighorns area of WY steaks are on me. Keep after it.

10-Nov-17
Well hunted all morn no luck getting ready t hit for the afternoon sit Lewis

10-Nov-17
Hope you had good luck and a good hunt this afternoon, Lewis. Happy Birthday!

10-Nov-17
Happy birthday and I turn 71 this month too. Still coaching, making music, and very healthy in spite of a hunting accident in the 70's that almost killed me. After 50 years, I finally got my wife addicted to bowhunting.

11-Nov-17
Oh well same old same old but had a great birthday just spending time in the woods.In the afternoon hunt I found a huge rub line running along a redbrush thicket bordering a oak flat .Looks promising.Take care you all have a great season and be safe.Lewis

11-Nov-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Happy BD Lewis. Last March 7th, was my 77th and looking forward to next March already. Well sort of. No physical or medical issues here but do take one year at a time to access next year's hunting schedule for elk here in Colorado and deer and turkey other places. I hope that buck of a life time walks into your life. I bet you might just pass him up and just enjoy the experience of being so close and the remembrance that you could have killed him. A senior hunter and a senior buck sometimes goes hand in hand. my best, Paul

11-Nov-17
Damn Paul when I had my shoulder surgery a couple of yrs ago my wife let me use her Xbow just to be in the woods.A huge buck chased a doe right up to my blind and stopped at 8 yds I put the Xbow down and watched him walk away.No regrets I do know what you're talking about.Hope to meet you someday.Lewis

12-Nov-17
Lewis, when we both are in our 90s, lets have a birthday blast together. my best, Paul

12-Nov-17
Happy birthday Lewis. I pray the Lord will give you many more years to hunt.

12-Nov-17
Lewis-I am 73.5. At age 65, the docs said I would never leave the hospital. I am in 10X better shape than I was at 65-67-70. I am slower, no longer think I am bullet proof and fully know there are some things, I cannot do. I have a laundry list of old injuries from 20+ years in pro-rodeo that bother me. The worst, I guess, is a broken neck. Hurts all the time and I can't turn my head too far in either direction. BUT...and this is important:

I probably am enjoying hunting now, as much or more than I ever did. These TN "hills" are some steeper but I now know, I don't have to run up and down them. I can walk and rest as I go. The single best thing I have done is continue to work out. I belong to a health club and I work out-at my pace-four to six days a week, all year.

A week or so ago, I killed a big doe-big for TN- probably field dressed about 90. I had to drag her 200-yards and then, loaded her by myself. Made me feel pretty good. Let the young kids, those about 55, do all the hard work and just be thankful for every day you are vertical.

12-Nov-17
I'm closing in on 62 and it's funny how your perspective changes over time. You guy who are 70 plus are an inspiration. Happy B day Lewis.

12-Nov-17
I told my 82 year old pop about this thread and he wondered what you kids were complaining about!

We just got back from our 22nd year of hunting out west. He may pray for good health, but he is active the rest of the year (hiking, biking, gardening, wood cutting, fishing) - it definitely helps.

Happy 71st lewis.

12-Nov-17
Lewis, I'm right in there too, 73. The hills are steeper and make the hips burn and the stands are lower but still out there, good luck.

12-Nov-17
Thanks all for your kind wishes Paul you're on party ?? sounds great John I too am in Tn on the plateau sitting in tree stand right now.Little slow so I'm reading the old man and the boy I recommend this book to anyone who has not read it.A lot of life's lessons in a way that I even understand Lewis

12-Nov-17
Yeah, as a boy, Ruark was one of my faves. I took the day off today. Church and play with G-kids. Back in a tree tomorrow. Having trouble getting the does to cooperate. Covered up with young bucks.

12-Nov-17
Happy Birthday Lewis! I’m working on 63 myself and know what you mean. The aches and pains are greater, the cold colder, the hills are longer and steeper , and doing them is much slower but sweeter. A kill barely matters anymore but the satisfaction of the hunt itself and the time in God’s magnificent outdoors grows each time I am blessed to do it. I am in the best condition since my youth and plan to keep it that way. Enjoy every day you get and every moment of your hunt!

13-Nov-17
Have a wonderful Birthday and a Great year to follow Lewis.

Enjoy ----------->

Good luck, Robb

13-Nov-17
My father in law was a fellow some of you knew, Vern Struble. Vern killed his biggest Columbia Blacktail, a record book buck, with a trad bow when he was 89.

Even to the end he always said old was 10 years older than him. I think it's a great attitude for all of us.

13-Nov-17
Late to the thread but never too late to wish a fine man a happy late b-day.!enjoy your retirement....do what ever makes you happy...enjoy brother

14-Nov-17
Thank again all just enjoying the ride my wife got a very nice 8 pt yesterday with her muzzleloader so our larder. Is in good shape good luck out there Lewis

• Sitka Gear