Scrappy 10-Nov-17
TGbow 10-Nov-17
rooster 12-Nov-17
Candor 12-Nov-17
Cheesehead Mike 15-Nov-17
APauls 15-Nov-17
Candor 15-Nov-17
10-Nov-17
I am new to hang on treestands, ground hunter most of my life, except for using a climber occasionally. Got the urge to hunt out of a treestand this season, wanted a mobil versatile setup I have a Millenium m7, with Hawk Helium sticks. I would appreciate the opinions from those of you that have tried the rope/versa button mods vs the cam straps. Which do you prefer?

10-Nov-17
I converted my lone wolf steps to ropes. Much faster and quieter. Also made them longer than the straps for bigger trees. I see no advantages for straps with buckles.

10-Nov-17
Can somebody post a pic or link on the rope&button system?

If you want Solid, it's hard to beat a ratchet strap.... but they are indeed fussy

10-Nov-17
I too converted all of my sticks to line and cleat. I hate the straps.

10-Nov-17

Teeton's Link
Heres a link to the mods .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8Yz9wMno4

10-Nov-17
I've tried both on my heliums and very slightly prefer the cambuckles. I find them a little bit faster and they cinch to the tree tighter. The ropes are nicer for big trees though, they are easier to throw around the trunk, and lighter.

10-Nov-17
I use the original cam buckle straps that came on my lone wolf straps. I like them but they can be noisy. Never used the rope system but I might give it a try.

One thing I do for larger trees is carry three screw in steps. They are easy to put in while standing on the ground, get you up to a little smaller on the tree, and like having another ladder section to get higher.

10-Nov-17
Thanks fellas for the feedback.

10-Nov-17
I've use the straps and they're good. Yes it is possible to clink them. I tried the ropes but found them to be a tough "stretchy" which my setup instantly skechy feeling to me. I went back to the stock straps. Maybe I had the wrong rope I dunno.

10-Nov-17
APauls, what type of rope were you using?

10-Nov-17
The buckle system on Lonewolf steps works fine. The rope conversion is longer, lighter, and quieter. For me it’s faster and easier to pack an unpack as well... but ymmv

10-Nov-17
Thanks for the info

10-Nov-17
"Seems" to me like a solution in need of a problem. Unless you're trying to deal with a tree too large in diameter for your straps. But it's a free country, tinker with your equipment as much as you'd like to.

10-Nov-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
For those using straps, two zip ties and a beer koozy will silence the buckles pretty good.

10-Nov-17
Good idea scrappy

12-Nov-17
I'm a little anal as far as twists in the straps to my sticks. Just don't like them, whether or not they are of any consequence. I can see where the ropes would alleviate that situation.

12-Nov-17
Excellent idea Scrappy, thanks!

12-Nov-17
that DIY sportsman is a badass.

I just bought my first set of mobile sticks and bought the Muddy Pro climbing sticks. They come with the rope system which is a bit different but similar to the versa/rope mod. I very much like these muddy sticks.

I also bought one of the Millennium Monster stands. Not very happy with that. At all.

My previous loc-on type set up was screw in steps, which I think are about the same speed as the mobile steps, and a smaller loc-on stand.

15-Nov-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Maybe even better than the beer koozy over the buckles is to just slide a piece of bicycle innertube over the buckle. It quiets them down and you can still push the button.

I have 2 sets of sticks and I converted to the ropes on one set. I thoroughly tested the ropes this year and although there is nothing wrong with the straps I do prefer the ropes.

15-Nov-17
When I use the straps The stick tightens down on a tree so tight that when I go to take the stick OFF of the tree I can completely unstrap it and it is still stuck to the tree due to the force of it.

When I used the ropes that was not the situation. It just didn't seem to cinch as tight. Was I using bad rope, or are people having that happen with rope?

15-Nov-17
I have had the same happen with rope. I am not tightening the rope THAT tight though. More relying on pulling it down and then my weight on the steps to set it. How well they stick to the tree seems to be a function of the bark though (at least for me).

• Sitka Gear