Dave B 12-Nov-17
RogBow 12-Nov-17
RogBow 12-Nov-17
elk yinzer 12-Nov-17
RogBow 12-Nov-17
Rut Nut 13-Nov-17
DanWesson357 13-Nov-17
11-Nov-17
I'd like to try and braise a whole front quarter tomorrow. If anyone has experience doing this, please let me know what I need and cook times etc.

Thanks

11-Nov-17
Meat thermometer is your friend.

Terry

11-Nov-17
Go to YouTube and search deer meat for dinner, he has a couple different recipes you can watch him make with a whole front quarter. Basically sear it on a grill then stick it in the oven with veggies til it falls apart. Looks dang good I'm gonna try it next time I shoot one.

11-Nov-17
That is how I cook all my shoulders/ front quarters. I season as normal and grill....there are not any really thick areas of meat so quacking time is not very long. I like my deer cooked quick and a little pink....then I eat it like a caveman.

12-Nov-17
Check out rinellas blade roast recipe sounds like what you are looking for. I have found that his osso bucco recipe is pretty good for a shoulder too, you can try that.

12-Nov-17
Thanks for the replies.

12-Nov-17
Rinella's blade roast recipe was outstanding.

12-Nov-17
Curious what was the time/temp/weight? I usually just do the "arm" roast but have thought about doing a whole front quarter for larger gatherings.

12-Nov-17
I cooked mine between 285 and 300 for 3.5 hours. Not sure on the quarter weight, it was an average size deer. I think as you occasionally flip the pieces you could determine if more time is needed.

13-Nov-17

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Never did a front shoulder, but we did a hind quarter years ago at our Summer Bowhunter Campout. Chef Bill "marinated" it overnight with a dry rub in a cooler(he called it a dry marinade), then cooked it over an open fire for several hours. Best tasting venison I ever ate! I'm sure you could do the same thing on the grill or in the oven.

13-Nov-17
I like reading the venison recipe threads as I have not purchased any beef in more than 5 years. Venison makes up ALL of my read meat meals. Good to find new ideas.

• Sitka Gear