Contributors to this thread:
milnrick 11-Nov-17
milnrick 11-Nov-17
osage 11-Nov-17
jjs 11-Nov-17
milnrick 11-Nov-17
Mike the Carpenter 11-Nov-17
11-Nov-17
Lady Bowhunter and I booked a pheasant hunt for early December. We're planning on starting with our compounds to see if we're up to it.

My questions for those of y'all who've done it are:

Do you use flu flu arrows spined to match the bow?

Will our broadheads suffice, or should we use a small game head?

Thank you

11-Nov-17
Thanks guys, we'll use the G5 SMG... They've been great on other small game. Thank you again

11-Nov-17
I use my regular wood shafts with two feathers wrapped in a spiral instead of big flu flu's. About any broadhead will work fine. I never could use a compound for aerial shooting, as the changing gears, trying to aim, peep sights etc just doesn't work for me. Far better is a recurve or longbow, focus on a spot on the bird, pull back and release in one fluid motion. You might want to consider a hardened plastic type broadhead if hunting over dogs.

11-Nov-17
do better with a recurve or longbow, quicker and more agile and one heck alot of more fun.

11-Nov-17
Understand that the recurve and long bow would be more fun, but I'll stick with what I'm most comfortable with.

Please keep the advice and ideas coming.

Thank you

11-Nov-17

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Oh yeah, it’s completely possible. Loot at the birds lined up along the top of the trailblazer. Planning on doing some pheasant hunting when I’m out in SD later this year, and the longbow and flu flus will be with me. Sure do miss that dog. Not quite sure I could ever replace him.

• Sitka Gear