Shrewski 14-Nov-17
Shrewski 14-Nov-17
DonVathome 14-Nov-17
smarba 15-Nov-17
Shrewski 15-Nov-17
14-Nov-17
Let’s here some good recipes!

14-Nov-17
Stonewall Kitchen makes a Sriracha Teriyaki sauce that went great with sheep. Marinade and grill.

14-Nov-17
My guide in the Yukon laughed at me when I told him I wanted to keep the ribs. Hunting up there was hard enough that those ribs cooked with not even salt and pepper will always be the best meal I have ever eaten. Where you will be, I’d gather up some local mesquite wood and roast them over an open fire with salt and pepper.

14-Nov-17
Somehow I did not put in there we cooked them in our fly camp at the base of the mountain over an Alder fire...I literally licked every finger to get every last bit. I had taken a package of teriyaki powder and marinaded the tenderloins; that with a side of Mac & cheese is pretty much tied for #1 all time with the ribs.

14-Nov-17
Haha when I read your guys stories I thought of the time me and my father made a mountain house spaghetti and meatball dinner to let everyone taste it after a big cookout at my house. I swear it was horrible uncooked noodles and ketchup. So much so I couldn’t believe it and had to make another one the next day the same thing! Without a doubt when you’re really hungry food taste much better! I am going to try roughly what you guys did

15-Nov-17
Those that rave about ribs, please clarify for me: Are you talking about the thin stringy pencil thin slivers of meat BETWEEN each rib, that are basically 50% meat and 50% sinew, or are you talking about the slab of meat on the OUTSIDE of the ribs that is generally a portion of meat that is connected to the front shoulder?

Because I've read all about the rib roll, killed and eaten scores of various wild game animals, and am fastidious about saving and eating all the meat. While the meat along the outside of the ribs can be a fairly substantial slab, no matter the game animal from Coues deer to moose, I've never found enough meat BETWEEN each rib to amount to much more than a meager pile of rawhide chewtoys. What am I missing?

15-Nov-17

Shrewski's embedded Photo
Shrewski's embedded Photo
Well, I cut the loins out so mine were just the ribs themselves. Now keep in mind at this point I had backpacked 44 miles then flew 60 miles further into the territory, then stalked this ram from 6 miles, then spent the night on the mountain with him, a long cold wet night...that may have made it taste SO much better. Found an old pic; that was the hardest hunt I ever did and I want to go back every single day.

BTW, that was a rifle hunt, 5 years later I hunted Bighorns in CO for a month with my recurve...close but no cigar. Still waiting for my next tag. Once the kids are out of college I am going to cash in all my MT points on a ewe tag if I haven’t drawn a ram yet.

• Sitka Gear