Brotsky 22-Nov-17
CP 22-Nov-17
HDE 22-Nov-17
WapitiBob 22-Nov-17
Brotsky 22-Nov-17
PECO 22-Nov-17
HDE 22-Nov-17
14-Nov-17
28 inch ATA with a 6 inch brace height. Yay or Nay?

14-Nov-17
I would have to shoot it. For a blind or treestand, if it shot well, heck yeah.

14-Nov-17
Another short junk "toy" bow, from the KING of short junk toy bows. (I'll bet it still weighs more than 4.5 pounds) LMAO

14-Nov-17
Any diehard Hoyt fans on this thread?

14-Nov-17
Nay from this guy whose draw length isn't accommodated by it.

14-Nov-17
Webpage reads wt. of 4.4 lbs.

14-Nov-17
I won’t buy it because of the cost of new bows. Last 3 bows have been bowtechs but if it shoots good then why not? Would love the versatility of a compact bow and weight isn’t bad.

Or I could be like certain fan boys already on this thread and crap all over it because the manufacturer starts with an M. The internet experts really get old, especially the ones bad mouthing a bow that they have only seen on a computer screen. Why don’t you go shoot it then tell everyone what a gimmick it is. Unbelievable

14-Nov-17
The king of arrogance rears his head up from the crotch of rage and hoyt to bless us with his precious garble.

14-Nov-17
Mathews will sell he hell out of them and laugh at the critics all the way to the bank.

14-Nov-17
If you hbut in a blind or out of a stand where your shots are all under 30 yards this could be a great bow. If you’re looking for something to lug around the mountains and make long shots maybe not. Have to try it out.

14-Nov-17
I will have to stick to what I know works for me (and I like) as I can't shoot the new bows each year.

14-Nov-17
Sounds like a great bow to tuck in a suitcase Even my wife won’t have to know till we arrive.

14-Nov-17
Very sweet looking bow. It will be a quality build from top to bottom like all Mathews. I hope to be shooting it by the beginning of next week.

14-Nov-17
It shoots incredible! I’m impressed and I wear Hoyt underwear. Hahahaha. Kudos to Mathews.

14-Nov-17
I am currently reviewing it. I've had one for two weeks. All I can say at this point is you need to shoot it before you pass judgement due to its size.

14-Nov-17
That`s what I keep telling her... New bows are like new Drivers in Golf....there are some that "have to have it" and others that don`t. I usually wait a year and get it for half off.

14-Nov-17
Interesting to see the bows that Mathews has produced in the past with 28-29" ATA that were successful shooters, and now people are "anti 28" and have not even eyed the bow, much less shot it and have already reached a verdict.

I don't see how Baskin and Robbins has managed to stay in business as long as they have by selling more flavors than just chocolate and vanilla.

14-Nov-17
Means I can now get a heli m for cheap. ;)

14-Nov-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Looks a little wacky, but I'll bet it shoots fine.

14-Nov-17
If I could afford the price tag of a new bow and it shot well, absolutely. I shoot a Z7 xtreme now and love my 28" ata. I just wish it was still a solocam. If someone buys it and doesn't like it sell it to me for a good used price haha

14-Nov-17
"All I can say at this point is you need to shoot it before you pass judgement due to its size. "

I hope for Mathews' sake that line of reasoning works better in bowhunting than dating.

15-Nov-17
I shot this bow last night at my local bow shop it's the smoothest most dead in the hand bow I ever shot

18-Nov-17
I went down to my shop and shot the Triax. It was pumped up at 70 lbs and the DL was a little long for me but it shot well, quiet as heck and dead in the hand. We lowered the poundage on it and it had a nice draw cycle for me. I am a 27.5” DL and normally shoot around 62lbs. I hunt in blinds/tree stands a lot and can see this being a nice bow for that. Would like to mess around with it using my arrow/broadhead combo to see what kind of performance I could expect.

18-Nov-17
Should be a good bow

18-Nov-17
"Short junk toy bow,",,damn you must be of some higher power???....or just someone that spews idiotic statements,,naa... I'm sure you must have shot one..sooo, based on your assumed genius....I'm gonna take my z7 extreme,,,and throw that piece of shit in the trash....even though I've killed 69 game animals with er......Man I'm glad your opinion was out there......lmfao......the crap that folks say........?? Wow...I'm not a huge brand person..this bow,that bow,,better,faster stronger,,,who f**king cares...we're ALL bowhunters ..but I'm sure your right...wink....

19-Nov-17
I am. And I've killed one or two myself. Another note on these: They are running around 5/8" to 3/4" long on draw length. Not that it's abnormal for Mathews, but something to note. And that mass weight spec. is done with no dampeners or rubber on the bow. They've been doing that for years. If you like it buy it, but just know in today's bow market you will be selling your self "short" in more ways than one.

19-Nov-17
A website sponsored by Mathews is going to "review" a bow from Mathews.....

19-Nov-17
Mike/ky....

This website is a business. Mathews is a business. For profit. Just like any other bow manufacturer. Guess what buddy? Every aspect of archery manufacturing is done for profit. Rage, magnus, VPA, any arrow manufacturer, Scott archery, etc....

Within those business structures, they have people just like pat who they send product to to test. It’s a pretty solid business model.

I can only assume that in your world, and your line of thinking, perhaps they should send the product to elkman, I and certainly positive he’d give that bow an honest review ....ha ha ha.....

The point is, it’s all for profit and quite frankly, none of your entertainment.

All the marketing in the world for archery, isn’t for your approval nor your entertainment. It’s to make a profit.

And the site you mentioned that is sponsored, well let’s iust say that sponsorship keeps the site free for all to enjoy.

19-Nov-17
It's a valid question. Our reviews detail the characteristics of the bow, specs, and demonstrate my experience shooting, and hunting with it. I try to be as objective as possible. There was one aspect of this bow I found lacked previous models. I also found aspects of this bow that were superior.

If you are looking for a review that says, 'this bow sux don't buy it' - then you'll need to look elsewhere. Virtually all of the bows made today are solid bows. So when I read some of the immature and small minded comments regarding a bow or any archery product, I don't pay any attention to them. They have no validity.

Mathews expects me to deliver a fair, honest review. They do not expect me to trash their bow, nor would I do that. Our reviews are extremely popular because we blend three elements together, detailed descriptions, an honest review from someone who doesn't shoot like Levi Morgan, and actual field experience including a recent kill. I have offered to review Hoyt, PSE and other bows as well and I would approach the same way.

The Bowsite community knows that I have a record for being a straight shooter and telling things like it is. Of course, you can choose to believe or not.

19-Nov-17
I bet if the Hoyt/Rage fanboy shot a Mathews and VPA broadheads, he would kill just as many animals, maybe more. There are many great options for your bow, arrow, broad head, and accessories. No one company is above the others. Except Darton.

19-Nov-17
Elkman, I think pat was talking to you...

19-Nov-17
It's not a bad lil bow. Not dead in the hand, has some jump and vibrations in it. If you're looking for a fast bow, this isn't it. Heavy bow to start that gets heavier as you add accessories. Does feel good in the hand, balances good, decent speed. It is a very accurate lil bow.

19-Nov-17
I'm sure it is a great bow. I still wish more companies would offer 36"-38" bows. But I prefer long axle to axle and 7" brace heights.

19-Nov-17
mathews offers bows in the 36 to 38 inch range.

19-Nov-17
Does someone have the total length and width including the cams? For suitcase fitment.

19-Nov-17
Yes Kentuckbowhnter, you are correct. They do in their competition line. and they cost 1300-1700$ Holy crap!

I will say that for flying one of these short little guys would be great! Not having a big bow case to lug around would be nice.

20-Nov-17
Ucsdryder: I have not doubt, but like mike/ky said... Look I think bows below 32" are a joke regardless of manufacturer. You are just handicapping yourself for absolutely no reason/gain the minute you make the choice to buy one. But let's face it everything else I say is true. The lying about the draw length to that degree is an absolute joke.(And should be regulated in some way) And then you have the mass weight on these bows and the method used to obtain said weight for specifications, it's ridiculous, not to mention the actual weight of the bow itself may be okay for 100 yard walk to sit in a stand, but hardly functional for the average 15 mile several thousand feet of vertical day in the west. This is of course my opinion on the weight, but the others are real measurables. (That I have measured dozens of times) I make money tuning bows for people all over the west, I think I might have pretty decent handle on what bows are what, and for what. Take it for what it's worth, what you buy won't effect my hunt next year, but it will yours... JS

20-Nov-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo

20-Nov-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo

20-Nov-17
Both very good! LMAO

20-Nov-17
I hunt mostly from a blind or treestand. It looks like it's perfect for me. I wasn't looking for a new bow am may try one. 3 things I look for in a bow. 1-How it fits me, not everyone on a bowhunting/archery website. 2-Quiet. 3-Smooth draw. Now that I think about it, I wasn't looking for a new bow when I shot the one I have now.

20-Nov-17
There is benefit in that ATA if you hunt primarily from a Pop up ground blind and the shorter ATA would allow a standing shot vs. a kneeling or sitting shot. Other wise irrelevant. Absolutely zero benefit in a Tree. In fact if I was primarily a tree jockey I would shoot a 37"ATA minimum and my bows would all be ridiculously heavy.

20-Nov-17
So do the large cams make the string angle feel like a longer ATA bow? My initial thought is they took a bow that was too short and made it shorter. But I honestly haven't shot any of the Halons so I'm talking out of my butt cuz my mouth knows better. I'm sure they are a good shooter.

20-Nov-17
I will say that I saw one at the pro shop the other day and the cams are so large that it reminded me of that bow that Michael Waddell was shooting on a commercial with gigantic cams. I've never seen cams this big. The bottom of the riser is ugly but I understand it is functional and used to keep the bow from being top heavy. I am sure it is a great bow and Mathews will sell tons of them. Its just too short for my liking.

20-Nov-17
I agree Bowfreak, and Hoyt kind of lost my interest with their switch to 6" brace.

20-Nov-17
Most of the mfg are going to a bigger cam on their parallel limb bows as it does change the string angle to closer emulate a longer a to a bow. Based on what I've seen in the last month, the Mathews TRX 38 is probably the best shooting bow they've made since the C4.

21-Nov-17
I would agree with that^^^

21-Nov-17
I had to make a tough shot out of a tree one time and had to put my bow between two big branches and shoot down. Had I had a bow any longer than what I had it prob couldn't have worked. Shooting a Matthews Switchback XT at the time, and scored on a really nice buck. Shooting in limbs and stuff a short bow has advantages.

We are so spoiled with all the options we have today to talk about a bow like it is "unhuntable" out west because it weighs 9oz more than other bows is absolutely laughable. Leave a candy bar at home to save the weight if carrying an extra pound bothers you so much. Some guys climb mountains in Lacrosse rubber boots and kill elk for Pete's sake. Sure, a bow a little heavier isn't the #1 ideal scenario, but guys can, and will hunt with a lot worse. Heck, I had a MBG sliding sight that weighed like 2 lbs. But when you got what you got, go hunt and giver hell. If you buy a bow cause most of the hunting you do is in a blind or a tree, optimize for that. Wanna take a trip out West? Bring your bow and go have fun. If you need a light bow, pack a recurve ;)

21-Nov-17
Elk man just curious, what bow manufacturer do you feel is the best?

21-Nov-17
Always Hoyt for him I'm guessing.....

21-Nov-17
In case you missed it....best response on this entire thread goes to Matt! LOL!

21-Nov-17
My Mathews Legacy and Browning Mirage will last me the rest of my life..... I'm the guy who drives a truck until the wheels fall off.....

21-Nov-17
I’m not a mountain hunter, but I’m wondering something. If a 4.5 lb bow is too heavy, how come gun hunters lug around an 8 lb. rifle ? Just wondering is all........

21-Nov-17
While I'll agree I don't care for a heavy bow on the mountain, but at the same time one of the competitor's carbon bows are only a few ounces lighter. And I wished my guns weighed in at 8lbs! You'd be surprised by the number of 10-12lb guns being used. Don't get me wrong, there are far lighter but like everything there is a trade off.

21-Nov-17
Dry creek, my gun is 8 pounds but I carry it in a kifaru gun bearer so it might as well weigh 8oz. The weight distribution is amazing and I can have it mounted and ready to shoot in half a second. My bow is a pain to carry around. 4.5 pounds feels like 20 as it’s hanging from my hand as I haul it around miles upon miles. No easy way to carry it except by the string.

21-Nov-17
Usually the rifle hunter doesn't put in the miles a bowhunter will. Rifle hunters have way less blown stalks and missed opportunities so it's easier to pack a little more weight around.

As far as oz. go, a few doesn't matter early in the day, but it does toward the end, or if you're hauling a load out.

21-Nov-17
Elkman- what bow manufacturer do you recommend?

21-Nov-17
Kelly, why Poke the bear?

Oddly enough, ol elkman does actually kill stuff with his preferred bow. Lol

21-Nov-17
Kelly, I'm guessing NOT a Matthews....lol.

21-Nov-17
"...tuning bows for people all over the west, I think I might have pretty decent handle on what bows are what, and for what."

I think this is what the question stems from...

21-Nov-17
Ucsdryder, all my compounds carry well in my Gunbearer.....try it, beats in the hand carry for pack trips. And ready to shoot in short order, just like it was in your hand after you release the upper strap.

21-Nov-17
Ok you got my attention. Can you attach a pic? Where do you lock the upper strap?

22-Nov-17
Kelly: Right now I think it's Hoyt and PSE hands down. (Prime is on the come up)

22-Nov-17
Elkman, what about the little guys like Xpedition, APA, and Obsession? Mathews, Hoyt, and PSE are not the only bow companies out there. I like my Elite Hunter and have yet to draw a bow that is smoother.

22-Nov-17
There is nothing really "wrong" with almost any bow being made these days. If it feels good to you, and gives you confidence in the moment of truth then that is the bow I would recommend. If you are a guy that is little more fact based and want to compare real aspects and tendencies of certain bows and their makers then I would recommend just looking at over all systems and their real world track record for accuracy/forgiveness. Because in the end it is ALL about "where" we hit, whether it be on a line in Vegas, or on a cliff in Montana. If you have a bow that gives that "mind set" of I can not miss, then don't let go of it regardless of brand, because about 90% of this voodoo called archery is between our ears. Those brands you mention above are fine, but you have to realize that a lot of what they are doing is five years old. They do not have the same R&D as the majors, therefore a lot of what they are doing has already been done. In some cases they have made little tweaks to improve the system, but still kind of is what it is. They are just a little bit cookie cutter. But again if you feel deadly with one, then that is the "best" bow period...

22-Nov-17
I find most people are only truly honest about there gear after they have replaced it. While they have it “.....it’s awesome, you should buy one to...”

I like to buy stuff that has had a one or two year run, so I can research it’s track record rather than its claims.

I don’t mind cooks cutter either. It usually means it works well enough to be repeating. If you are always on the cutting edge, your going to be bleeding (money) sometimes. It excites some people and frustrates others.

I only have and have had one bow that I will never sell. And that is a ten year old, unexciting, Mathews Drenalin. I don’t like the xtremes in anything.

22-Nov-17
"Those brands you mention above are fine, but you have to realize that a lot of what they are doing is five years old."

This is a load of crap. I have a lot of experience with Xpedition and Obsession bows. Come on ELKMAN.

22-Nov-17
Bought a Triax Saturday. It’s a dandy shooter. Quiet, short, accurate-perfect treestand whitetail bow and a great compliment to my Hoyt Carbon Defiant elk bow.

22-Nov-17
Side by side and with an open mind, Xpedition is a tie with Hoyt. That's it and that's all - it is irrefutable.

I know this because I have both and have shot both...

Flame on!

22-Nov-17
What's on an Expedition or Obsession that wasn't on a bow 5 years ago? Actually, what's on "x" bow that wasn't on a bow 5 years ago...

Pse limb shift and Mathews Tophat system comes to mind but the list will be short.

22-Nov-17
That's about it Bob, they are all riser, limbs, cams, and strings. There's certain little bells and whistles to each one but at the end of the day a bow is a bow. Shoot the one you like!

22-Nov-17
I am with Ambush, and will not sell my Drenalin. I will also not sell my Daimond Black Ice. I do not plan to buy a new compound anytime soon. When I do, I will check out all of the brands, and I will not purchase the top of the line latest and greatest. Nothing wrong with buying a proven design. This bullshit of having to buy a new bow every year because last years latest and greatest is now an obsolete piece of "junk," is stupid. IMO

22-Nov-17
Xpedition is a company formed that was/is owned by an aerospace engineering firm that has multi-million dollar contracts. During off times, they also would make parts for other bow companies and decided to make their own bows. Interesting story.

Although I'd like to get a new one next year - it will take a lot to sell me one without shooting it first because there is no proof it shoots better than what I have now.

• Sitka Gear