Pyrannah 16-Nov-17
wyobullshooter 16-Nov-17
Pyrannah 16-Nov-17
HUNT MAN 16-Nov-17
Z Barebow 16-Nov-17
15-Nov-17
So, I want to kill an elk. But, I don’t know how. Lol

Here is my story.

I essentially went on an outfitted nature hike last year in Montana. In retrospect, I did learn a lot of what not to do things but my goal was really to learn how to hunt elk. Unfortunately that was not achieved.

Anyway, I’m really struggling with what to do next. I have 5 wyo points right now and was planning to do a guided wyo hunt but I’m kind of soured on the whole guided thing at this point so I’m considering a diy wyo hunt and just seeing what happens.. I don’t want to be in any Grizz areas, they scare the shit out of me..

I also want to Kill a moose and I’m looking at a Newfie hunt in the future so that takes away available money for a guided wyo hunt..

Looking for any and all possible advice

Thanks

15-Nov-17
1 - Keep getting WY elk points

2 - Do a DIY OTC hunt in Idaho [no elk left in Colorado] to get some more experience

3 - Keep saving for your moose hunt

15-Nov-17
Just because you have 5 points, doesn't mean that a WY general tag is under-priced. You are in no-man's land. It'll take you years to get another tag and in the meantime, you can hunt the WY general season several times. People seem to think that X amount of points should buy you X level of a hunt. That's not how it works. It's a J-curve. in the number of points you need and the quality of the hunt with every slight increment of increase in hunt quality costing an exponentially more amount of points because everyone's trying to get them.

If you want to learn how to hunt elk, go back and read every elk thread on Bowsite for the past 3 years. It'll take a lot of time, but you'll learn a lot. You either have to be taught or shown. Reading is a great way to learn since the offseason is 11 months long. Links aren't working, go to amazon and do a search for Public Land Elk Hunting. It's a good start.

15-Nov-17

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
A general area bull
A general area bull
Here's the bull my son "wasted " his points on this year.
Here's the bull my son "wasted " his points on this year.
"Too many to waste on a general tag..."

I'd have to disagree with that statement. Find the areas that lie between the road hunters and the Sitka warriors and the hunting in a general area is worth every PP you have. I've been hunting the same general area for 33yrs. I've killed 25 elk and there's only been 4 yrs that I couldn't have killed an elk.

15-Nov-17
No butt hurt here. Just stating facts vs opinion. The OP can decide which one has more credibility.

15-Nov-17
Consider a RP cow tag in a GEN area. Learn the unit. If you like it, dump your points on a GEN tag the next year. If you don't like the unit, try a different RP cow tag area the next year.

15-Nov-17
U referring to me? I’m not super upset over my previous guided hunt I just don’t think the money spent was worth what I received...

And now I’m unsure what my next step should be..

How should I go about determining which units are ”good” units? I have looked at some of the drawing odds and thought I was in the middle and could get a decent hint but maybe not

Aren’t there Grizz in Idaho?

15-Nov-17
Looks to me like wyobullshooter backed up what he says...no butthurt there.

15-Nov-17
I won't speak to PP's. At least for WYO, elk points have value. General hunting in WYO can be as good as LE in some other states. (IMHO). That being said, experience is the best teacher. No guarantee cashing in PP's on an LE unit will get you a bull. (Would you want your first sexual experience to be with a supermodel?) Hunt elk every year you can, no matter the state. You will want the experience so you can do your PP's justice when you do cash them in.

15-Nov-17
Reach out to someone who's opinion you respect. Most of the guys on this thread are friends of mine and they all help people whenever they can. Jump in head first and give it your best. It'll happen. Tell us the story when it does. Good luck!

15-Nov-17
"SO everyone who hunts a general unit shoots elk like that... good fact to know!"

Nope, never made a claim to that. Just gave a couple examples contradicting YOUR claim that 5 PP's are too much to waste on a general tag. That said, there are these caliber of bulls, and bigger, in general areas.

I'm not saying they're behind every tree. What I AM saying is you can have a quality hunt in a general area. As I've said, I've killed 25 elk in general areas. Between my hunting buddy, my son, and myself, we've killed approx 45 elk in a Wyoming general area. Some are big, some are small, some are cows.

Once again, you can throw all the opinion and insults you want. I actually have the real world experience to back up what I'm saying rather than throw crap against the wall and see what sticks. And you call ELKMAN arrogant? Gimme a break.

15-Nov-17
The vast majority of Idaho is grizzly free, there are really only a few areas of the state where they should cross your mind.

15-Nov-17
1. Keep applying in your desired unit for a bull tag. There is always a chance with the random draw. I've done it.

2. Second choice cow tag in same unit. Draw tag. Go hunt the cows and learn about the unit so when you do draw the bull tag you will be prepared. I've found that hunting cow elk every year is much better for your learning than just reading stuff. Another benefit of a cow tag is that you will have some unbelievable bull encounters. Point is, when you do draw your bull tag you will have experience in the unit and years of good meat in your freezer.

Also, if time and money allows and you are unsuccessful arrowing a cow (it ain't easy), you can always go back in rifle season with the same tag.

I have been happy following this strategy.

15-Nov-17
What you could do is find someone to share your points with in the regular draw for a general tag. Someone that knows elk hunting and in exchange for helping them draw, they would have to be willing to show you some terrain and how to hunt elk? Just a thought. I think a regular tag is taking 2 points now???

There are some excellent hunts in Wyoming but it seems like everything takes max points, or close to it. There is no middle ground. Find a place to hunt on a regular basis, whether it’s Wyoming, Colorado, Montana or Idaho. I hunted Wyoming three years in a row before I killed my first bull. And I’ve been hunting them for a long time. It’s a long learning curve without a mentor or partner to show you the way. Tons of trial and error! Or you could get lucky and shoot one the first morning.... it happens!!!

Lots of good info on here and really good guys. Paul Mendel “elknut” is always eager to help. Wyobullshooter, jaquomo, cnelk, Otcwill, bigdan, Elkman are all good guys that have good knowledge to share. There’s many others I’m not thinking of right now.

15-Nov-17
If TBM wasn't banned, he could tell you how it's done.

15-Nov-17
Opinion vs fact. And you accuse me of having MY butt hurt? lol!

And please, post some pics of your Ohio booner bucks. It adds about as much to a thread about Wyoming elk as your previous posts. .

15-Nov-17
Sheesh.....

15-Nov-17
Scoot, that ain't funny! ;-)

I've only posted real world results in response to the claim that 5 PP's are too many to waste on a general license. Just calling BS to BS. Of course, I only have 33 yrs experience in Wyoming general areas. And yes, I call arguing opinion vs real world experience arrogance. If you disagree, that only validates my claim. So be it. We'll keep putting tags on elk instead of complaining that 5 PP's are to many too waste on a general licence. Of course, that claim comes from someone that admits he's no expert. lol!

15-Nov-17
Would you like some cheese with that whine....lighten up Francis.

15-Nov-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I’m with Wyobullshooter.

Here’s a pic of a WY general unit bull deertick and I chased this fall. Unsuccessfully I may add.

We saw more bulls than cows. Big bulls.

Also, don’t underestimate killing a cow elk. They are still part of the 10% club.

15-Nov-17
Franklin, I don't know what whine you're referring to. One that has 33yrs experience in a Wyoming general area, or one that truthfully claims he isn't an expert. Your choice.

15-Nov-17
I'll be applying alone this year in WY for a general tag (have 2 points). If you want to team up, I can't guarantee you will kill an elk, but I know the area well and bet we'd see a few. I am 5 for 10 for WY General elk. I hunt area 13 and 21, no grizzlies. I'll be going for at least 15 days. Pm if you want to talk about it.

Keven

16-Nov-17
I thought Lost Arra had some good advice.

Bullshooter - I think you’re overlooking your home field advantage. And don’t forget - just because it comes easily TO YOU doesn’t mean it’s not hard.

Knowing the country, being acclimated to the elevation.... having done it for 30-odd years...

Yes, there are big bulls on public land, but it’s a lot of land and not very many bills, so they’re not found on much of it.... and even if you figure out where they are, you’ve gotta figure out what to do next.

So it’s no real insult to an area to say that it would be tough sledding for a non-resident Noob to hunt there...

JMO

16-Nov-17
Otc Will did a podcast a few weeks ago on this very subject. Will try and post the video . Lots of good info . Hunt

16-Nov-17
Plenty of bulls on OTC units in Wyo, ID, MT and CO. Pick a state, then find someone on BS who kills regularly and start up a conversation. Many guys on here will be willing to help you. You have a lot to learn but if your willing to put in the work, you can do it and you'll never be the same again! WYobullshooter is spot on in my opinion. Unless you already have 10-15 pts I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to get there. Lots of good spots with 2-3 pts you can hunt there every couple years. Newberg has a great podcast about that. As far as getting away from Grizzlies.....that may be your biggest problem! CO is about your only option for that. Good luck!

16-Nov-17
Lol Hunt!! Showed my friends the 'Cheetos, Sprite, Whiskey' "podcast" yesterday and there were belly laughs all around!

16-Nov-17
Wyobull: You are wasting your breath on that tool bag.

16-Nov-17
Okay, we need to see the podcast!

16-Nov-17
You need to carefully research any outfitter before booking with him. Most outfitters will provide a good, quality hunt but you have to do the work on your end to weed out those who are only after your money. You can learn a lot hunting with a knowledgeable guide if you are open to it.

16-Nov-17
thanks for all the thoughts, PMs, links and etcetera..

One thing im confused on is my current point level.. When i was looking with triple 3 a year or two ago, i thought the said they could take someone with 3 to 7 points, so i was kind of thinking i was in a good point range but doesn't sound like that is really the case?

I'll be back with more questions as i process this stuff..

thanks

16-Nov-17
I would not spend my money on guides for elk. It may take a trip or two but you will figure out elk on DIY hunts. Hunt WY gen when you can draw and other states when you can't....CO/ID OTC or UT spike. There are other states with good elk hunting that can be drawn. Spend your "guided $" on something other than elk. North America has a lot of great animals to hunt but many of them cannot be hunted DIY Mike-TN

16-Nov-17
"Would you want your first sexual experience to be with a supermodel?" Z, yes... yes I would! ...and my second, and third, and... "

I remember my 1st sexual experience....It was dark ....I was nervous...scared...and alone. LOL!

16-Nov-17
+1 one on the Idea to hunt archery in a general unit and if unsuccessful, return with a rifle later that year. I saw a lot of game in Western Wyoming on two rifle hunts (2006 and 2010) Once had 2 moose, 9 pronghorn, and 4 mule deer all in site at once. Had a general any-elk tag. Did not connect on an elk, but two of my friends did. We did see some Grizz sign and they had a report of an early season archer getting charged by a sow bear with cubs. They scare me too! Stay clear of Jackson Hole if you are a NR on a DIY self hunt. IMHO Too much wilderness that you can't hunt, and lots of bear sign. The extra distance to drive and lack of access to wilderness makes a DIY hunt in WY harder to plan and hard to swallow. I too have 5 NR points. Was saving them for a late season LE hunt in a wilderness area at some point that will require a full service guide with horses. I prefer to hunt DIY when ever possible. I find it rewarding while making lots of mistakes, and trying to learn from them. LaGriz

16-Nov-17
Wyobull-

What I propose is that I, as a non partial but mildly experienced elk hunter, be brought to your camp in 2019 and after hunting for 10 days, detail my findings and judgement of general elk hunting in your Wyoming areas. I promise not to divulge your areas, only to report the hunt as it unfolds. I will even black out your face in the pics, if you'd like.

I am not available for the 2018 season, as I plan to burn my 10 NR Wyo. elk points in a unit I could draw with 6.....

Let me know when we need to start planning. Looking forward to our hunt!!!

16-Nov-17
I think if he’s gonna take someone it should be me ;)

16-Nov-17
Sorry guys, but I’m booked through 2029. ;-)

16-Nov-17
I’ll take 2030!

16-Nov-17
Nick. The podcast is under lock and key until we get are contract signed. It will be worth the wait. Will can spit some mad game!! Hunt

16-Nov-17
Huntman. Keep us in the loop. Looking forward to hearing from the killers!

• Sitka Gear